Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can anyone help me understand the MLB TV blackout rules....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 am 

I was getting ready to order until I read the 15 paragraphs of disclaimers attempting outline what you won't be able to watch.

I live in what I believe is a Pirates Market. The cable company carries root sports. However, I have chosen not to subscribe. I only have an internet package. If I buy the MLB TV package, will I be able to stream most Pirates games live or will I be blacked out since I live in a Pirates market (forget the fact I am 4 hours away from Pittsburgh) making the package basically worthless?

Post subject: Re: Can anyone help me understand the MLB TV blackout rules.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 am 

MoTownWV wrote:
I was getting ready to order until I read the 15 paragraphs of disclaimers attempting outline what you won't be able to watch.

I live in what I believe is a Pirates Market. The cable company carries root sports. However, I have chosen not to subscribe. I only have an internet package. If I buy the MLB TV package, will I be able to stream most Pirates games live or will I be blacked out since I live in a Pirates market (forget the fact I am 4 hours away from Pittsburgh) making the package basically worthless?

You will be blocked out. Any station that is considered in the market place, that carries the games on their cable package (as part of the package) you'll be blocked out. I found that out last year when I went to Gettysburg and I wanted to watch the Pirates but because they were in the market place for the cable provider, the games were blacked out.

Now, when I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years, I had Directv so I could get the Pens and Pirates. I came to find out that they were not part of any market because they were almost equal distance from Cleveland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh so all three were on television for free. Now that was a few years back and I don't know if that has changed but it was nice since I didn't need to purchase a plan.

Back to you, once the game has concluded and is archived, you'll be able to watch the game but by then you'll probably know the score and who won.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:53 am 

johnswahoo wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

You will be blocked out. Any station that is considered in the market place, that carries the games on their cable package (as part of the package) you'll be blocked out. I found that out last year when I went to Gettysburg and I wanted to watch the Pirates but because they were in the market place for the cable provider, the games were blacked out.

Now, when I lived in Columbus, Ohio for a few years, I had Directv so I could get the Pens and Pirates. I came to find out that they were not part of any market because they were almost equal distance from Cleveland, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh so all three were on television for free. Now that was a few years back and I don't know if that has changed but it was nice since I didn't need to purchase a plan.

Back to you, once the game has concluded and is archived, you'll be able to watch the game but by then you'll probably know the score and who won.

Thank you. That was how I read it but I wanted confirmation. No sure why anyone would spend $100 plus to watch archived games.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 am 

I've had DirectTV's MLB package for some time. Whenever the Bucs played the Astros I was blacked out on DirectTV but could watch it on my local Fox Sports Houston. Until last year.

The Astros and the Rockets are in a pissing match involving CSN Houston and so almost 60% of the region can't see Astros or Rockets games going back well into last season, as they can't agree on how other carriers like DirectTV or Dish can carry the games. So I basically didn't get to see any of the Bucs three games against Houston last year.

No one is really missing the Astros, but the Rockets are doing pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 pm 

Unlike the NFL, MLB's blackout rules are not designed to protect attendance at home games. MLB's blackout rules are designed to protect the broadcast partner of a MLB team. If you happen to live in an area in which a team has designated as its "home territory," you should be able to see the team's games via some cable/satellite provider. Mind you, I didn't write "all" cable/satellite providers and I didn't write that you would receive the games as part of a basic package.

Living in Des Moines, I have the pleasure of being in a "home" territory for the Twins, White Sox, Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers and Royals. I am a DirecTV subscriber. My basic subscription includes Fox Sports Midwest (Cardinals' broadcast partner) and Comcast Chicago/WGN (Cubs' broadcast partners). I choose not to subscribe to the DirecTV sports package which includes the regional sports broadcasts across the country. However . . . if I did, it is my understanding that I could watch the Brewers, White Sox, Twins and Royals games without subscribing to MLB.TV because they are all within my "home" territory. However, I could not watch the Pirates on ROOT because they are outside my home territory. I'd have to subscribe to MLB.TV to do that.

When all is said and done, I'm not a big fan of MLB's blackout policy or its application - particularly when I cannot see the Pirates play a team in my "home" territory. (Although for some strange reason, the AppleTV that I have in my basement doesn't seem to black out Brewers' broadcasts but my iPad and bedroom AppleTV does - weird). However, I understand the purpose behind it and why broadcast partners are looking for exclusive broadcast rights (the almighty advertising dollar).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:17 pm 

And, FWIW, I could not be a bigger (literally and figuratively) cheerleader for MLB.TV if your favorite team is "out of market." It is a fantastic product - absolutely fantastic. It is the best $129.99 that I spend every year. By far.

Being able to watch and listen to games on my laptop and iOS devices is nothing short of spectacular. In can literally turn my basement into a mini-sports studio during baseball season. I can have a game on DirecTV and games on at least 2 devices without stressing my router.

I'd likely spend three times that amount even if it only gave me access to Pirate games. The access to other broadcasts is gravy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:34 pm 

johnswahoo wrote:

I'm not sure that you have this quite right. First, you paid for a DirecTV subscription so the games weren't "free;" they were provided as part of your basic subscription to DirecTV. Second, there is no part of the United States that doesn't fall within a market. At that time you reference, Columbus likely fell within the Reds, Indians and Pirates' territories and DirectTV supplied Fox Sports Pittsburgh and Fox Sports Ohio to Columbus as part of the basic package. (Just like I get Fox Sports Midwest and Comcast Chicago).

You paid for access . . . you just didn't have to pay a premium.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:52 am 

By the way, there will be less restrictive no Saturday blackouts imposed by FOX this year. Baby steps ....

Clarification: http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/ ... ut-policy/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:10 pm 

Some interesting comments in here relevant to the issue. Notably ... local blackouts are the one thing insisted upon by cable providers when negotiating with MLB teams.

http://www.royalsreview.com/2013/3/4/40 ... ert-bowman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:38 pm 

Thanks for posting that.

From reading that article I will be able to watch the Pirate games that are on FOX regionally (although not here in the Atlanta area) on MLB.tv Since I am out of market (in the Atlanta area) that is about the only thing that stops me from seeing every game. I guess there can be other ones I will miss perhaps if it is on another channel like TBS or ESPN but if it is on ESPN I assume I can watch it since I don't think they do regional games just one national broadcast but I am not sure of that.

I am so grateful for MLB.tv and it is well with the money for me because even with the 6 games or so I was affected by the Fox rule last year 156 games is way better than none. Of course if the Bucs remain good I will see them on national TV more.

Can't wait for the regular season and I hope there is not much regression, it is tough to win 94 games every year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:20 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
johnswahoo wrote:

I'm not sure that you have this quite right. First, you paid for a DirecTV subscription so the games weren't "free;" they were provided as part of your basic subscription to DirecTV. Second, there is no part of the United States that doesn't fall within a market. At that time you reference, Columbus likely fell within the Reds, Indians and Pirates' territories and DirectTV supplied Fox Sports Pittsburgh and Fox Sports Ohio to Columbus as part of the basic package. (Just like I get Fox Sports Midwest and Comcast Chicago).

You paid for access . . . you just didn't have to pay a premium.

Columbus didn't fall into one Baseball Market...They had three because of their distance to each city. As for Free, meaning, I didn't pay to buy the baseball package..Just like now, it free, considering I don't pay for the baseball package living here in Pittsburgh.
To me, almost everybody pays for cable and when I don't need to pay a for extra, its free to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:27 pm 

I just hate the blackout rules as someone trying to cut the cord on cable. I live 4 hours away from Pittsburgh. I'm not going to hop in the car to see a Tuesday night game after work. It seems they could be a little more reasonable in "claiming" their markets.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
I just hate the blackout rules as someone trying to cut the cord on cable. I live 4 hours away from Pittsburgh. I'm not going to hop in the car to see a Tuesday night game after work. It seems they could be a little more reasonable in "claiming" their markets.

One of the problems is that the cable providers are usually same folks who provide internet access, producing a serious conflict of interest, and it will get worse if the Time Warner sale to Comcast goes through. Comcast has already forced Netflix to agree to pay them a premium in return for Comcast permitting their net customers to download from Netflix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
MoTownWV wrote:

One of the problems is that the cable providers are usually same folks who provide internet access, producing a serious conflict of interest, and it will get worse if the Time Warner sale to Comcast goes through. Comcast has already forced Netflix to agree to pay them a premium in return for Comcast permitting their net customers to download from Netflix.

This isn't true. Netflix paid Comcast to open special ports just to accommodate their traffic. Netflix had to do this because 3rd party transit networks that Netflix had contracted with oversold their peering agreements.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 pm 

MLB has the worst blackout rules of any league. I really hope they change it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:46 pm 

This man might be able to explain the blackout rules:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 am 

Well, I can plan on hearing few Bucs games again this year and seeing NO games. -__-

I'm a much more into the Montreal Canadiens now.. can see and hear every Habs game. MLB is truly awful.. even Tribe games
were removed from free TV this year finally.

And since I wrecked our Malibu my wife got a different XM Sirius hookup and it doesn't have baseball.. she and I don't talk and she controls
all the money. The wife and kid use the pc at night and weekends so wouldn't see many games anyway. Can still listen to games on
WGN Chicago and WLW Cincinnati though.