Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: STICKS AND STONES
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 pm 

Willton wrote:
A ball in play is a ball that, after being hit, falls into an area of the field where it can be played. This includes any ball that is hit into fair territory and any ball that is caught for an out before it lands. It does not include homeruns or foul balls, as those balls are not playable by a fielder.

Thanks, Willton. Again, perhaps Im making a mistake, but if it doesnt differentiate between a grounder a shortstop should have gotten to... and a sharp solid liner to the fence, I dont see the value of the stat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:09 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
Counting Boston, I believe it's 4 times now.

Yep. So I guess, using the logic I've seen in this thread (not you Wilton) that Bay will never amount to much?

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

PirateParrot wrote:
... Look, Pedro Martinez wouldn't have the same effect as Ralph Kiner did. Ralph Kiner was hitting 500 foot blasts that captured the imagination of fans from a poor team...

I agree with that sentiment. Which is why I'M all about DunnBlast-2009!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:13 pm 

I also consider the "guys been traded alot so he must stink" argument a phony.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
... Look, Pedro Martinez wouldn't have the same effect as Ralph Kiner did. Ralph Kiner was hitting 500 foot blasts that captured the imagination of fans from a poor team...

I agree with that sentiment. Which is why I'M all about DunnBlast-2009!

ZM

I thought we were Dunn with DunnBlast!!! See, cant kill off a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:44 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Willton wrote:

Yep. So I guess, using the logic I've seen in this thread (not you Wilton) that Bay will never amount to much?

ZM

Talking about getting traded alot...Todd Zeile wasnt too bad of a player...I think the only team he didnt play on in his career was the Pirates

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:46 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
Willton wrote:

ZM

Talking about getting traded alot...Todd Zeile wasnt too bad of a player...I think the only team he didnt play on in his career was the Pirates

Just wait...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:52 pm 

I never said Ohlendorf stunk because he's been traded twice now. I'm merely hinting at the fact that he's not the prospect people thought he was a couple years ago with the Yankees and is in my opinion pretty ordinary. To apply it to the subject at hand: Not better than Pedro Martinez.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:55 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
And as for your other argument, I for one don't want him blocking ANY of the other young guys. He serves no purpose for the future of this team.

If not Pedro, it will be some other 30 something, NH has all but said so. He wants a "proven veteran starter". Now that doesn't necessarily mean that he won't sign someone yonger than 30, but my monies on a guy like Looper or Byrd. Innings eaters who can keep us in games.

I think if the price is right, and so far it's a buyers market, we'll see a right handed FA with a track record signed between now and spring training. If NH isn't worried about blocking players development, I'm guessing it's because he knows that no such thing will happen, no matter who they sign.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:59 pm 

Ohlendorf may be better suited for the pen. He has a plus fastball and a plus slider. After that he has an average at best change. Coming in for relief, throwing gas, and then getting batters to chase a slider or two may be his best bet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:05 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Ohlendorf may be better suited for the pen. He has a plus fastball and a plus slider. After that he has an average at best change. Coming in for relief, throwing gas, and then getting batters to chase a slider or two may be his best bet.

Agreed. And lefties seem to take batting practice against him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:11 pm 

Argentum wrote:

That is precisely my view of him. Having said that, though, I guess you always want to try to maximize a player's value. For pitchers, that means using them as a starter until they prove they can't do it. He has thus far had 5 starts at the big league level, I'm willing to give him a handful more before switching him to relief. And there is no better time to do it than this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

That is precisely my view of him. Having said that, though, I guess you always want to try to maximize a player's value. For pitchers, that means using them as a starter until they prove they can't do it. He has thus far had 5 starts at the big league level, I'm willing to give him a handful more before switching him to relief. And there is no better time to do it than this season.

Oh, I'm not saying move him now, I agree that it makes sense to see how he does as a starter. I just have a sneaking suspicion relief is where he's headed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
Argentum wrote:

This is what is seperating Littlefield from Huntington in letting him atleast have a chance...worse case scenario you move him to the pen, where Littlefield drafted middle relievers in the 1st round

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:21 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
where Littlefield drafted middle relievers in the 1st round

You are being very generous. I'm willing to go out on a limb and suggest Moskos does not make it to the bigs.

I read recently a scouting report (baseball prospectus maybe?) that said the kid is a mess. His mechanics have been completely destroyed, his delivery is in shambles, and his stuff is just no good. He REALLY needs to turn things around as a 23 year old repeating high A.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 pm 

BBF wrote:
I read recently a scouting report (baseball prospectus maybe?) that said the kid is a mess. His mechanics have been completely destroyed, his delivery is in shambles, and his stuff is just no good. He REALLY needs to turn things around as a 23 year old repeating high A.

Ouch. Can he hit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:00 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

Ouch. Can he hit?

Yeah...maybe we can reverse Van Benschoten him :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm 

Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:

Ouch. Can he hit?

Yeah he can hit....opposing batters. 6 hbp last year too!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:

Yeah...maybe we can reverse Van Benschoten him :lol:

That sounds like some sort of torture done in the unmentionable area of a man...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:27 am 

I got a reverse Van Benschoten once in Reno....cost me an extra fifty bucks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next