Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enhanced repertoire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:44 am 

Ground Chuck is trying a split change against LHH. Should be interesting to monitor progress.

Post subject: Re: Enhanced repertoire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:27 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Ground Chuck is trying a split change against LHH. Should be interesting to monitor progress.

I wonder if that pitch is going to present any issues for his reconstructed elbow.

The circle change is an amazing pitch that is probably the least likely of any pitch available in terms of stressing the elbow.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 pm 

Now this is interesting. Assuming this pitch is effective, does this elevate him to the level of dominance of a number 1 or 2 starter?

As to the health matter, that's a good question. A change typically is kind to the elbow because there isn't the torque as the pitch is snapped off. But a splitter is another matter. Wasn't that what cut Mike Scott's career short? His was devastating, and he threw a lot of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm 

Just a FYI: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/5696 ... z2v6S7gSh5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

An out pitch against lefties would be a big help for Chuck. Not sure I believe the split change will do that. He needs something that he can work effectively on the inner half against lefties. I don't think this pitch will do that. He knows he needs to back lefties off his sinker. Likely the reason he hit so many left handed hitters last season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:24 pm 

True. The only weapon he would really have would be to start the sinker off the plate inside and have it tail back into the strike zone. That's tough to do with very little margin of error. You either hit the guy or it catches too much plate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:45 pm 

Charlie uncorks a really wild one once in a while. That's another reason he hit so many.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
Charlie uncorks a really wild one once in a while. That's another reason he hit so many.

Despite facing more RHH, 13 of 16 HBPs last season were against LHH.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

By the end of last year, I thought he was using that little curve of his to come in low and tight on LH's, to some good effect.

We have had our "good, bad, ugly" predictions yet, but I believe this could be Chuck's career year. Maturity and confidence seem to have caught up to his health and stuff, now. He could be devastating this year.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
By the end of last year, I thought he was using that little curve of his to come in low and tight on LH's, to some good effect.

We have had our "good, bad, ugly" predictions yet, but I believe this could be Chuck's career year. Maturity and confidence seem to have caught up to his health and stuff, now. He could be devastating this year.

ZM

He can get LHH out with his curve. He did do better with it last year, especially the last 6 weeks of the season. That is a chase pitch though with very little room for error. It hasn't been a pitch he has commanded all that well in the past. The real answer would be a solid cutter. I agree that this could very well be his career year. It is nice that the Pirates are actually going to reap the prime years of a pitcher they spent so much time cultivating.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:18 pm 

I remember reading about him working on that pitch last year while on rehab and management told him to shelf it and focus on rehabbing and getting back to the rotation.
I looked for it but cant find the article. I thought it was on the Trib site, but I didn't see it so it must be on the PG's site and I am out of free looks for the month already.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...