Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hypothetical Trade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:02 am 

Before anybody starts crabbing out and say this would never happen, consider the make up of the team and where this team will be in 2016 and beyond.
Were at the trade deadline and the Pirates are playing .500 sitting 11 games out of first place and 9 games out of both wildcards.
A team approaches the Pirates looking to trade for Andrew McCutchen. You have Polanco who is ready to make the leap from AAA and Bell has gone from single A to AA with success.
If you know that you could trade him and be able to sign only 2 young guys to longer term contracts that take them to the 2020---what type of trade would you accept and who on the current roster of 40 do you tie up till 2020?
I started thinking about this because we all know that we will not be able to afford him when his current contract is up. And just like when we signed him, we got a great price.
To me, I'd expect at least 2 major league ready prospect (Must be in the top 100) and at least one top organization top prospect in AA or High Single A and a first round draft pick.
Again, hypothetical and not something I'm advocating.

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical Trade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:19 am 

I don't think I would trade Andrew McCutchen. Ever.

The Cards didn't trade Pujols. They let him go. He's still revered in St Louis, the club is still revered in St Louis, and Pujols is entering the HoF wearing a Cards hat.

Cutch is the face of a franchise that has been especially dire, and we're no longer in those straits. I wouldn't, if I was the FO of that franchise, play any part in shipping him out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 am 

Put me down with Val here. More concerned with the losing of Alverez. I think he will go free market for sure (esp. with his agent) and if he continues to be the power guy he showed last two years (and expect that),looks like he'll command a huge payday from some money team. So, do you trade him after this year-- before he gets too close to FA?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:09 pm 

You don't trade Cutch. Not only does it not make sense from a baseball perspective (unless you're getting Mike Trout, which won't happen), it also makes no sense from a fan base/marketing perspective. Cutch is the face of the team. He sells tickets. He's an ambassador for the PBC.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:58 pm 

It would have to be a heist. Not many teams could even put together a deal for him. An example of what it would take:
Cardinals: Oscar Taveres, Shelby Miller, Michael Wacha, and Matt Adams.
I know this would never happen, especially within the division, it's just an example of how much I would want.