Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mets want Lambo for Ike Davis???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 pm 

There are reports out there this morning that the Mets are asking for Lambo for Davis. This doesn't make any sense to me from the Mets standpoint. Anybody hear about this?

Post subject: Re: Mets want Lambo for Ike Davis???
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:22 pm 

I think it makes perfect sense. A team that is going no where with a first baseman who is ok, but isn't going to help them win now in order to get a younger, cheaper replacement with potentially more upside. I liked what I saw of Lambo...not great numbers with the big club, but he was not overmatched at all.

It actually could be more risk for the Pirates than the Mets.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 pm 

Maybe the Mets see what the Pirates see in Lambo. Maybe that's why NH is giving him a shot at first base.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:28 pm 

urbman21 wrote:
There are reports out there this morning that the Mets are asking for Lambo for Davis. This doesn't make any sense to me from the Mets standpoint. Anybody hear about this?

I think that this rumor is based upon blog speculation, such as from this guy (Onchie Ebriega):

"The Pirates could strike a deal for Davis if they send lefthanded batter Andrew Lambo to the Mets. Lambo split the 2013 season between the Pirates Double-A and Triple-A squad, recording 32 homers in 120 games."

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/3900 ... rumors.htm

Okay, whatever. The same guy also wrote, "The Mets and Pirates have reportedly engaged in talks earlier this offseason, but no trade took place due to the Bucs' unwillingness to part ways with their farm league prospects."

Yeah, sure. The Pirates are unwilling to deal Gift Ngoepe for Davis since Ngoepe is a "farm league prospect."

The Pirates would deal Lambo for Davis. I am very confident of that fact.

The Mets would not have any interest in dealing Davis for Lambo. I base this upon a number of reports as to what the Mets were asking for Davis not six weeks ago:

The Mets, continuing discussions with various teams seeking a first baseman, offered Davis to the Orioles for left-handed pitching prospect Eduardo Rodriguez, according to The Baltimore Sun. The Orioles declined. The Mets, who have also discussed Davis with the Brewers and Pirates, are seeking a pitching prospect in return. The 20-year-old Rodriguez fits the mold. Baseball America ranks Rodriguez as the Orioles’ No. 3 prospect.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... 6lh3G.dpuf

The Pirates remain in play for Davis, and the Mets recently asked them for pitching prospect Nick Kingham.

In talks with Milwaukee, Sandy Alderson asked for RHP Tyler Thornburg during the Winter Meetings, but Thornburg is set to be Milwaukee’s fifth starter

http://metsblog.com/mets-rumors/ike-dav ... prospects/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:54 pm 

They asked for Nick Kingham for Ike Davis? With a straight face?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:37 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
They asked for Nick Kingham for Ike Davis? With a straight face?

The Orioles' Rodriguez is even a better prospect - 20 years old, lefty, plus velocity, very good results in high A, reached AA at age 20.

The demands were just dumb. The Mets have a good 1st baseman to replace Davis in Lucas Duda, who features plus power and great OBP skills.

Duda is simply awful as an OF'er, however. His hitting value is negated by his horrendous defense when he is in the OF.

At some point, teams other than the A's and the Pirates will figure out that putting a good hitter in a position where his defense simply sucks ass is not a viable strategy. The Mets apparently have not reached that conclusion ... or alternatively, they have no plan on Duda playing OF and they are just trying to drive up the price for Davis.