Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutch...2019...Nutting...Pirates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm 

Someone over on Piratesprospects said something about Cutch being gone after 2018 and that no outfielder was going to get a long term deal from this owner. I began to think:

Suppose Cutch really, really likes it here and what he has accomplished as a Pirate He looks around at the team that now surrounds him (Meadows, Mcguire, Bell, Hanson, Polanco, Glasnow, Taillon etc, and the power hitting young thirdbaseman we got in the Pedro Alvarez deal is ready to break through) in 2018, after two division titles and one NL flag and decides he will stay for (let’s assume normal inflation) and tells his agent he would agree to stay for six years 16-18 million! He’s only had that one stint on the DL back in 16 and is still producing. He is the most popular Pirate since Stargell, maybe since Clemente.

You mean to tell me Nutting, whose turnstiles are turning to the point of 2.75 million fans a year and a better tv deal, wouldn’t at least consider that?

Post subject: Re: Cutch...2019...Nutting...Pirates
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm 

That type of deal would be a steal for the Pirates. Even if Cutch's defense declines a bit over the next 4-5 years, he is still a plus defender at a premium position, with great offensive skills.

His very conservative WAR is in the area of 6.0 per year (recalling that Cutch posted a combined 15.0 WAR the last two seasons), which gives a value of at least $25 million per year.

Signing Cutch for $18 million would be a huge bargain.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 pm 

What? Shouldn't we be a little interested in 2014 which is about to have it's training start? 2019 is just a bit out'a sight isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:12 pm 

Corsair... I like the way you are thinking here. The idea of Pittsburgh being seen as a destination rather than a port of departure would be the real proof of having turned the corner.

The only problem I would see with this idea is that such a contract might create problems with the move to replace the now decrepit 25 year old PNC park with a more modern facility, LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:11 am 

I've been trying to argue this point on another thread. I believe, if the Pirates want to bargain in good faith with the fans, Nutting should renegotiate the contract of McCutchen. I fully understand that McCutchen sign his contract in good faith but the Pirates also knew that he had to potential at some point to be a great player and getting him for cheap price was a top priority. So who was right?
If the Pirates, can't afford to give him more money to keep him in Pittsburgh beyond 2019 and well into his 30's.
This is a very similar situation that we as fans faced in the early 1990's with Barry Bonds. When they wouldn't negotiate a long term contract when he would have signed two years earlier for a lower price than he received from San Francisco, he along with other players left in droves and Pittsburgh quickly became a place to go to either re-establish their career or see if they still have a career. Perhaps the only exception to that would have been Brian Giles.
Yes one player does not make a team, but he is the face of a franchise that has struggled for over a generation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 am 

Cutch didn't take his contract in good faith. It was a good career move for him since he was 24 and coming off of a season in which he hit .259. His deal was also on par with the deals that both Justin Upton and Jay Bruce received. You'd be better off making this argument in 2016 or 2017 when it's actually relevant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:42 am 

You are right about Bruce, I don't know too much about Upton's contract that he signed. But we were living in Cincinnati at the time they gave him that contract and at the time, I believed that he got too much for they type of player that he was.
I guess what bothers me more about McCutchen's contract is that Matt Kemp, who I see as a comparable player got a contract the following year for 3x the money. To me I'm arguing a Granny Smith apple vs a Macintosh apple.
The argument is about spending and bringing in the right people to help make sure this team remains competitive for the long haul.
In the next year or two the Pirates are going to be forced to deal with the contracts of Neil Walker and Pedro Alvarez. Doesn't it make sense to re-tie up your top player vs having three guys gone from your roster by trade deadline 2018?
What also bothers me is we didn't bring in anybody at all to fix the problem at first or right field. I though we would make a run at keeping Marlon Byrd but we couldn't obviously couldn't match the 16m offered to him by the Phillies.
The Pirates are banking on keeping the band aide on until Polanco arrives but in 2014, I feel it could hurt our chances of contending.