Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ZiPS Top 100 prospects
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm 

These are the Top 100 prospects based on projected production. It's a similar system to what a lot of MLB teams use and is pretty comprehensive using trends, comparables, age, experience to project out. Interesting to see what open market values could (conservatively) be. The Pirates on the list are:

2. Polanco - there is a caveat here that the projection has him as a CF with (legitimate) Gold Glove level defense. If he bumps off CF, he drops since the bat doesn't play up as much and defense isn't as valuable.

16. Alen Hanson - #6 SS, which is about where the humans rank him

35. Austin Meadows - again, as a CF

44. Jameson Taillon

80. Nick Kingham

92. Tyler Glasnow

It is worth noting that due to pitcher volatility and injury risk the system is conservative on them. The highest ranked pitcher is #17. There are a lot of premium position players on the list, as you can see with Hanson being 16 overall but outside the Top 5 for SS.

Post subject: Re: ZiPS Top 100 prospects
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm 

Hmm. Does anyone here think Polanco takes over the CF spot? I think if anyone does, it's Marte, which I personally believe he will in the next few seasons. I think of the 3 (Cutch, Marte, Polanco), Marte is the best defensively, barring that easy drop he had last year :). Good list though, I'm very excited just to get Polanco and Taillon up, with Hansen, and someday possibly a Josh Bell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:02 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nope, he continues to grow into that body and remind everyone what Dave Parker looked like.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 am 

CurvePirate814 wrote:
Hmm. Does anyone here think Polanco takes over the CF spot? I think if anyone does, it's Marte, which I personally believe he will in the next few seasons. I think of the 3 (Cutch, Marte, Polanco), Marte is the best defensively, barring that easy drop he had last year :). Good list though, I'm very excited just to get Polanco and Taillon up, with Hansen, and someday possibly a Josh Bell.

Not me. We've got the reining MVP in CF, and it's not like Cutch can't field. You do not piss off the face of the franchise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:11 pm 

val wrote:
CurvePirate814 wrote:

Not me. We've got the reining MVP in CF, and it's not like Cutch can't field. You do not piss off the face of the franchise.

Yeah, when you have CF #1a, CF #1b, and CF #1c it doesn't really matter much anyway. It's not like Snider is in CF.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:21 pm 

CurvePirate814 wrote:

One article I recently saw said that Josh Bell could be here by the end of 2015, like as a September call up. I'm anxious to get a legitimate long-term answer at first base.