Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gregory Polanco
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:09 pm 

Have not seen him swing until I saw the video on today's Pirates Prospects post. Wow, what a swing. Can't wait until he comes up.....reminds me a bit of Dave Parker. If he is anything close, we hit the mother lode.... 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Gregory Polanco
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Hence, mine and others references to him as Cobra 2.0.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:14 pm 

Yet, somehow, he is listed below Oscar Taveras and Brian Buxton on mlb's list of top 10 outfield prospects right now. Taveras didn't even play after May last year. Ridiculous. Yes, AZ, that is one beautiful swing. Silky smooth, and the ball just jumps off the bat. Hate to say this, but the way he cocks his bat at the plate puts me in mind of Bonds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:52 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 am 

doug frobel wrote:
Yet, somehow, he is listed below Oscar Taveras and Brian Buxton on mlb's list of top 10 outfield prospects right now. Taveras didn't even play after May last year. Ridiculous.

It should not be a surprise whatsoever that Polanco would be ranked below Buxton and Taveras. Buxton was profiled by many scouts to be the best player available in the 2012 draft and has a .906 OPS in the minors at age 19. Taveras is a consensus top 5 prospect overall (not just OF) and has the excellent numbers in the high minors to be MLB-ready. Polanco (who I'm as high on as anyone, don't get me wrong) took a much different route. As an international signing, there was zero attention or interest in him until he broke out until two years ago after not doing much of anything in rookie ball. As good as he has been the last two years (and as much as it carried over to the Dominican League), the numbers weren't good enough that he would jump arguably the two best hitting prospects (now that Xander Bogaerts and Wil Myers both graduated last year). So, it really is nothing to get worked up about. All that list says is that Polanco is only a notch behind very elite company.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:29 am 

If you guys didn't know, Greg Polanco is REALLY fast!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:02 pm 

Yeah that second baseman backed up for the second hop when he should've charged it but still that's some serious speed.

Its awesome to think that very soon the bucs will have some serious speed at every outfield position.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:38 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
If you guys didn't know, Greg Polanco is REALLY fast!

Ye gods, that's just ridiculously fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 pm 

TheShark wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
Yet, somehow, he is listed below Oscar Taveras and Brian Buxton on mlb's list of top 10 outfield prospects right now. Taveras didn't even play after May last year. Ridiculous.

It should not be a surprise whatsoever that Polanco would be ranked below Buxton and Taveras. Buxton was profiled by many scouts to be the best player available in the 2012 draft and has a .906 OPS in the minors at age 19. Taveras is a consensus top 5 prospect overall (not just OF) and has the excellent numbers in the high minors to be MLB-ready. Polanco (who I'm as high on as anyone, don't get me wrong) took a much different route. As an international signing, there was zero attention or interest in him until he broke out until two years ago after not doing much of anything in rookie ball. As good as he has been the last two years (and as much as it carried over to the Dominican League), the numbers weren't good enough that he would jump arguably the two best hitting prospects (now that Xander Bogaerts and Wil Myers both graduated last year). So, it really is nothing to get worked up about. All that list says is that Polanco is only a notch behind very elite company.

I love Polance - but it isn't even close at this point between he and Taveras (or Buxton), based on what they have done so far. Taveras is almost a full year younger than Polanco, and he put up a 1.028 OPS in Full-Season A at the age of 19. Polanco had an OPS of .910 at the age of 20 at the equivalent level. Taveras had an OPS of .953 in AA at the age of 20. Polanco has an OPS of .791 across High A and AA at the age of 21. True, Taveras missed much of 2013 with a serious injury, but it's way too early to downgrade him after the incredible seasons he had in 2011 and 2012.