Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Base/Right Field
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:43 pm 

I lump these two positions together, because in both cases, we have a right-handed option who is ok but not great, and the left handed option is to be determined.

Earlier in the off-season, I was convinced that Neil would bring in an accomplished left-handed hitter for first base. But as time has passed and other moves have been made, I now think that will not be the case.

Neil has been stockpiling marginal left-handed hitters that didn't cost much. He hung onto Snider, and brought in McGuinnes, Dickerson, Decker, and Ishikawa. And of course we always had Polanco and Lambo.

So it looks to me like we're going with what we have and hoping for the best.

Post subject: Re: First Base/Right Field
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:01 pm 

I am not at all worried about RF, since (1) Tabata is a pretty darn good player and hits righties just fine, thank you, (2) one of the legion of lefty-hitting OF'ers can platoon and provide value, and (3) the position will be filled by Polanco by mid-June, and he is likely to provide 2.5 WAR in 2/3 of a season due to his hitting, very good baserunning, and excellent defense.

If Tabata and the L-handed option combine for 1.5 WAR, then the RF position gives plenty of value.

Now, 1B is a little more questionable due solely to the L-handed part of the tandem. For at least the 5th time on this board, I will point out that Gaby Sanchez is elite - ELITE - vs. left-handed pitching. His OPS last year of .987 ranked 2nd in MLB for batters with at least 70 plate appearances vs. lefties - SECOND, ahead of Paul Goldschmidt.

He posted massive wOBA (.428) and wRC (179). Those numbers are pretty amazing, frankly.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=10,d

The notion that somehow the Pirates need to improve the R-handed portion of the 1B platoon is mystifying.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:08 pm 

I wasn't implying that. I'm well aware of Gaby's success against lefties. But most of the pitchers are righties, which is why I rate him as just an ok option overall.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm 

The Pirates faced 31 left-handed starters last year, Bucfan. So Gaby's elite numbers are not overly helpful for around 130 games or so. That's a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure Bucfan responded that way due to Ralphie's wording. It seemed odd to myself as well to refer to someone who is in a platoon role as being good or bad relative to how they hit both RHP and LHP collectively when they are in a platoon for a reason. Kind of impossible to interpret that someone would think that no matter how good someone hits lefties, they would only be called "okay" because it's the short end of the platoon. But alas, that is what he meant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:24 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I lump these two positions together, because in both cases, we have a right-handed option who is ok but not great, and the left handed option is to be determined.

Earlier in the off-season, I was convinced that Neil would bring in an accomplished left-handed hitter for first base. But as time has passed and other moves have been made, I now think that will not be the case.

Neil has been stockpiling marginal left-handed hitters that didn't cost much. He hung onto Snider, and brought in McGuinnes, Dickerson, Decker, and Ishikawa. And of course we always had Polanco and Lambo.

So it looks to me like we're going with what we have and hoping for the best.

Tabata isn't really just an option against lefties. His splits are pretty even.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:27 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The Pirates faced 31 left-handed starters last year, Bucfan. So Gaby's elite numbers are not overly helpful for around 130 games or so. That's a problem.

Given Walker's and Alvarez's platoon splits, I'd expect to see a lot more lefties once Polanco comes up.