Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirate logo dismissed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

Kind of knew this was coming. Don't have to like it though.

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/2014/01/08/Pirates-ditch-pirate-as-main-logo/stories/201401080141

Post subject: Re: Pirate logo dismissed
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm 

I don't like this and I don't understand it. It seems that the majority of teams who have a logo consisting only of letters are teams that don't have a tangible mascot (think Phillies and Yankees). It's also the end of a 75+ year tradition of having a Pirate mascot. It's a shame, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
I don't like this and I don't understand it. It seems that the majority of teams who have a logo consisting only of letters are teams that don't have a tangible mascot (think Phillies and Yankees). It's also the end of a 75+ year tradition of having a Pirate mascot. It's a shame, IMO.

I may be wrong, but I think maybe the Tigers just use a D now which is a shame. The tiger logo is cool. I think it would be cool to use the Jolly Roger skull and crossbones as a logo as a patch on the one shoulder. Probably has to do with there being no copyright rights for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 pm 

Discussed at the bottom of this thread FWIW: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12186&p=152206&hilit=+logo#p152206

I don't like it either but it's really no surprise to me because it seems like they have been only promoting the classic 'P' logo for several years now regarding merchandise, etc. I used to have a "skull & crossbones" logo hat that I really liked, and the last few years it was hard to even find hats with that logo anymore, everything has pretty much just been the traditional P.

I think they're just going for with the classic/tradition like in the same vein as how people always praise the classic simplicity of the NYY and Tigers logos and uniforms. I do think the basic gold 'P' is a pretty classic, iconic look. I agree though, without a more playful secondary logo it becomes a bit boring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:18 pm 

Baseball has long be the 'lamest' of the logo field (or most lacking in 'flavor').

As The Shark says, MLB is more about 'classic' and 'tradition' at this point. This move makes sense in that regard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:56 am 

The '70s logo was always my favorite.. haven't been crazy about any since. I just want Bucs to get rid of the ugly exhibition caps.
Am thankful that bright red native American Chief Wahoo was demoted.

Attachments:
Pirates.gif
Pirates.gif [ 13.17 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm 

I like it. I've never been a fan of the cartoony logo. Felt too Disney, theme-parkish. The "P" is classic, timeless, and easily the most recognizable logo the franchise has. Stick with the "P" and the "Pirates" and "Pittsburgh" scripts.