Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chris Dickerson?????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 am 

I guess they think they need depth.....Not sure about the logic of this signing... :? :? :?

Post subject: Re: Chris Dickerson?????
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Seems to offer a little more than the other candidates.

http://hiddenvigorish.com/2014/01/chris ... h-signing/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 pm 

Left-handed, plus speed, very, VERY good defender with a plus-plus arm. Minor league contract ... depth. If he plays well, he is a multi-skilled 4th or 5th OF'er (lefty bat off the bench, speed, defense, arm).

Fangraphs lists Oliver projections, which put Dickerson at 2.4 WAR for 600 AB's in 2014, based almost entirely on his defense and baserunning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:23 am 

I always liked him as a player with the Reds. Thought he has alot of upside. Maybe he was just good against the Pirates, but thought he was pretty good. Don't see alot of risk with this signing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:32 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Left-handed, plus speed, very, VERY good defender with a plus-plus arm. Minor league contract ... depth. If he plays well, he is a multi-skilled 4th or 5th OF'er (lefty bat off the bench, speed, defense, arm).

Fangraphs lists Oliver projections, which put Dickerson at 2.4 WAR for 600 AB's in 2014, based almost entirely on his defense and baserunning.

I'm thinking he has a chance to grab the 4th OF spot from Travis Snider if 'ole "big toe boo-boo" doesn't put together a solid Spring.

It would be nice to have a left-handed hitter with speed on the bench, especially one who plays plus defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:47 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I'm thinking he has a chance to grab the 4th OF spot from Travis Snider if 'ole "big toe boo-boo" doesn't put together a solid Spring.

Jaff Decker will almost assuredly have the same opportunity as well. But only time will tell, ST will certainly be a competition for the bench OF role, as it usually is with players like Presley always being involved in the past. The current depth especially with the Dickerson signing certainly makes it hard to see that Snider has any future with the Pirates, and I predicted when he was tendered that the Pirates might still cut him in ST since his contract isn't guaranteed. Then again, he wasn't retained for no reason, so I could be wrong. I like the Dickerson signing a lot as a depth move, similar to how I liked bringing in Felix Pie last year.

It's entirely possible that Decker's AAA performance last year was PCL-fueled just like in the case of recent acquisitions like Jerry Sands and Clint Robinson who went on to be atrocious in the IL. But I'm always a sucker/proponent for prospects with great plate discipline, and I love that Decker draws tons of walks.