Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual sports players - FSU QB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:14 am 

What are the forums thoughts on dual sport athletes. That FSU QB claims he wants to play both QB in the NFL and play MLB for the Braves or Yankees. Odd he is naming teams. Would you draft a guy like him? The Rangers picked him in the 2012 draft in the 15th round.

Sounds pretty bold for a 19 year old kid but some guys have made that happen. Would you embrace paying a guy a contract if he risked injury in another sport?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1910 ... &hpt=hp_t3

Post subject: Re: Dual sports players - FSU QB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:48 am 

It's actually rather shocking that there aren't more two-sport athletes in this era. There were a few standouts in the late 80's/early 90's (Charlie Ward, Neon Deion, Bo...).

It's a fair career move to draw two pay checks and/or for marketing purposes.

However, it seems highly unlikely that there will ever be a dual-sport athlete with one of those jobs being 'NFL QB' (or 'Starting NFL QB'). No team would allow such a significant investment risk injury or natural fatigue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:11 am 

QB would be really Tough. You would have training camp and mini camps you would miss for baseball. Don't see an NFL team going for that and don't see a MLB player to miss weeks on end.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:27 am 

If he has the talent to be a good to great major leaguer then he should play baseball. In the long run he will make more money, If it's a money thing. If it's not then he may love football more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 am 

RB and CB would be pretty easy to do both sports. At those positions you can pretty much show up and play football when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Sounds to me like a 19 yo vocalizing his teenage dreams to me.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:05 pm 

There is a reason no one does it; it's just not practical. Although there is an off-season for all the sports, the schedules don't allow for playing 2 sports without neglecting both.

Considering the level Winston has reached in football, I would be very surprised if he makes a serious effort to be a pro baseball player.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:36 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
What are the forums thoughts on dual sport athletes. That FSU QB claims he wants to play both QB in the NFL and play MLB for the Braves or Yankees. Odd he is naming teams. Would you draft a guy like him? The Rangers picked him in the 2012 draft in the 15th round.

Sounds pretty bold for a 19 year old kid but some guys have made that happen. Would you embrace paying a guy a contract if he risked injury in another sport?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1910 ... &hpt=hp_t3

I would never sign a player who was playing in the NFL to play for my baseball team.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:35 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Sounds to me like a 19 yo vocalizing his teenage dreams to me.

ZM

This. The kid has likely been told for the last 12-13 years that he can do no wrong. He's a Heisman Winner. He's a Freshman QB starting for a team playing for the BCS Championship tonight. He avoided criminal charges for alleged sexual assault and supposedly the Tallahassee Police Department told the alleged victim that she shouldn't "mess" with FSU football program.

For all practical purposes, the kid likely thinks that he's bullet-proof at this point. I'm not saying he's right; I'm just saying that I can understand from where that mentality emanates. Brash? Sure. Bold? Absolutely. But, he's 19. He'll understand soon enough. Just ask RG III and Cam Newton . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:34 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Just ask RG III and Cam Newton . . . .

Well, Cam Newton is a top 10 NFL quarterback leading his team into the divisional round of the playoffs this weekend. RGIII is a supremely talented quarterback who led a very mediocre team to the playoffs as a rookie and struggled after suffering a horrific knee injury. Both of those guys are succeeding.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:55 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Well, Cam Newton is a top 10 NFL quarterback leading his team into the divisional round of the playoffs this weekend. RGIII is a supremely talented quarterback who led a very mediocre team to the playoffs as a rookie and struggled after suffering a horrific knee injury. Both of those guys are succeeding.

Cam Newton had a horrific year last year and it took some re-dedication on his part to elevate his game this year.
RGIII, like Newton, had a good rookie year and struggled his sophomore year.

Both extremely talented athletes who could attest that it takes more than pure athleticism to succeed in the NFL at QB. Both Newton and RGIII could dominate the college game based on talent alone. NFL defenses won't let you get away with that. Both QBs could advise Winston that any notion of being a NFL QB and playing baseball is a pipe dream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Horrific?!?!?! He didn't take a leap forward or anything last year and started slow, but horrific is not the right word. He was still pretty good. Many teams would kill for a horrific Cam Newton year at QB. And where is the evidence that he didn't care last year until rededicating himself this year? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I didn't hear it. All I heard was that he needed to calm his emotions down.

If Winston were good enough, he could probably do both because some team in both sports will pay him. I don't see him being good enough at baseball to be anything but a minor leaguer, though. He can't really hit and his pitching isn't exceptional.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 am 

No. 9 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Cam Newton had a horrific year last year and it took some re-dedication on his part to elevate his game this year.
RGIII, like Newton, had a good rookie year and struggled his sophomore year.

Both extremely talented athletes who could attest that it takes more than pure athleticism to succeed in the NFL at QB. Both Newton and RGIII could dominate the college game based on talent alone. NFL defenses won't let you get away with that. Both QBs could advise Winston that any notion of being a NFL QB and playing baseball is a pipe dream.

Sisyphus is worried that drafting top talent could cost top money. Gotta guard Bob's bank account and only, and I mean ONLY, sign deals. If you are NOT ready to sign for 50-75% of league average, forget about it. Dose not matter there is PLENTY of cash to improve the team, HAS to be a deal.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes on Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 am 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
Syphilis is worried that drafting top talent could cost top money.

Who?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:03 am 

TheShark wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:
Syphilis is worried that drafting top talent could cost top money.

Who?

Whoa....auto correct......BTW, was joking around with my reply Sisyphis.

Last edited by Dr. Phibes on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 pm 

Winston was not good at baseball. Well, not good enough to entertain playing both.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
Sisyphus is worried that drafting top talent could cost top money. Gotta guard Bob's bank account and only, and I mean ONLY, sign deals. If you are NOT ready to sign for 50-75% of league average, forget about it. Dose not matter there is PLENTY of cash to improve the team, HAS to be a deal.

Uh, exactly what the hell are you talking about? First of all, my name doesn't appear anywhere in the string that you're replying to. Second, perhaps you didn't notice, but MLB just changed the rules because the Pirates were drafting top talent and paying them so much that the Red Sox complained about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Uh, exactly what the hell are you talking about? First of all, my name doesn't appear anywhere in the string that you're replying to. Second, perhaps you didn't notice, but MLB just changed the rules because the Pirates were drafting top talent and paying them so much that the Red Sox complained about it.

Poor attempt to try a joke around with you based on our back and forth in the other thread...apologies. It was late, and lame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:41 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Poor attempt to try a joke around with you based on our back and forth in the other thread...apologies. It was late, and lame.

Okay, no problem. I was seriously confused :D