Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates Top 10 Pitching Prospects
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm 

mjdouble wrote:
There were supposedly a bunch of teams interested in Wilson at the Winter Meetings.

TheShark wrote:
plus the prospective trade value that recently came out about how the Pirates were bombarded with interest about Wilson.

Mentioned that, hence the quote above. As for the "no I'm right" harping on my "hypothetical" label, everyone knows Wilson has the capability to start. I was clearly referring to whether or not it's something the Pirates will do. And that's indeed a hypothetical until it happens. Sure, it's not a hypothetical that he could start. And where is the proof that the reason his interest was so high at the winter meetings is because other teams objectively have plans for him as a SP? I get that you're equating that with the years of control he has left and that he used to start in the minors. And I obviously agree that that is a part of the appeal. However, it is not "very odd" for a reliever with such upside to get a lot of attention. High payroll teams have a long history of overpaying for relief help, sometimes drastically so, and even with age and upside isn't a part of the equation. Look at even recent Pirates history and the returns they received from flipping Hanrahan and Dotel. And even so, we don't even know what the high interest actually even entailed regarding returns. It was just a soundbite that a lot of teams were interested, which is no surprise.

I really see Wilson and Pimentel's upside almost interchangeable regarding potential SP status. Wilson having options is significant, but as was my overriding point, I think it will be canceled out when the bullpen regresses in the future and they don't want to convert someone who will likely be the very best part of it.

Post subject: Re: Pirates Top 10 Pitching Prospects
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Will be interesting to see how the pundits and scouts outlook Heredia next year if he doesn't take a significant step forward, especially with the control. The age/maturity grace period will still firmly be on his side, but the skepticism seems to already be in full force given that he is pure project-ability. Obviously coming into camp in better shape and not being subjected to extended spring training would be a positive development to start. Was really hoping to catch him in person when I took a trip to Lexington to catch WV last year to see what the velocity looked like relative to his frame, but he pitched the day after the double header that I saw.

Looks like a good start ... per Tim Williams who has been reporting live from Bradenton this week, Heredia came to camp significantly lighter (down to 240 from 276, and a size 36 waist as opposed to a 42). Although he wasn't pitching, I saw him up close in person when I caught a West Virginia doubleheader last year, and while he was big, I'm shocked that he was actually pushing 280lbs last year. It's not too shocking considering his height and how young he was when signed, but that was some pretty rapid weight gain last year. Alas, good for him for the off-season regimen.