Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Polanco
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:36 am 

rellimie wrote:
Marte leading off wasn't really an experiment. There was just nobody else to do it. Everyone knew he wasn't a true lead off hitter.

Not so sure I agree that Hurdle/the Pirates don't see him as a "true lead off hitter". I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure. An atypical one, but I think they see that on paper he has all of the stereotypical tools to be just that, the best speed on the team besides McCutchen, and that his SB capabilities can make up for the K rate. See examples like in last year's NLDS when Hurdle insisted on batting him lead-off every game despite that he went 1-21 in the series, even though Tabata had been much better than Marte in August/September and was designated to a couple PHs.

Agree with ZM, Tabata has been the best option the last few years, at least against RHP. I would keep Marte there against LHP, though Mercer would be a fine option as well. And of course, I do think that will be Polanco's spot when he's promoted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:24 am 

TheShark wrote:
rellimie wrote:
Marte leading off wasn't really an experiment. There was just nobody else to do it. Everyone knew he wasn't a true lead off hitter.

Not so sure I agree that Hurdle/the Pirates don't see him as a "true lead off hitter". I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not so sure. An atypical one, but I think they see that on paper he has all of the stereotypical tools to be just that, the best speed on the team besides McCutchen, and that his SB capabilities can make up for the K rate. See examples like in last year's NLDS when Hurdle insisted on batting him lead-off every game despite that he went 1-21 in the series, even though Tabata had been much better than Marte in August/September and was designated to a couple PHs.

Agree with ZM, Tabata has been the best option the last few years, at least against RHP. I would keep Marte there against LHP, though Mercer would be a fine option as well. And of course, I do think that will be Polanco's spot when he's promoted.

I agree 100% on Tabata. I think he earned consideration as the starting right fielder. I hope Polanco is the long term answer to Rf and lead off. But he has proven nothing at the ML level.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:59 pm