Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The next 22 games
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:27 pm 

Thought you might enjoy re-visiting this one- 12 games ago. We are 6-6 at this point with 10 more games to go, but no more with the Cubbies.

Here we are again.

All central division teams
13 away and 9 at home

St. L. 7 all away
Chic. 6 three at home
Cin. 3 away
Mil 3 At home
Hou. 3 at home

If we can win 12 of these we will be 30-30. Recall that was our exact record three years ago. Then we promptly fell apart.

What will we be this season at that point?

My guess is that we will win 11 and go from 18-20 to 29-31.
What do you think?

Last edited by Substitute2 on Sun May 25, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The next 22 games
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 pm 

I wish I shared your optimism. Despite our recent success, I think we win 8 of the next 22. Prove me wrong, guys!

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:43 pm 

BBF wrote:
I wish I shared your optimism. Despite our recent success, I think we win 8 of the next 22. Prove me wrong, guys!

For the love of God, prove him wrong. 8 out of 22 is a season killer.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:47 pm 

I agree BBF. I think something like 10 wins is what will happen. I hope I'm wrong though.

Either way this stretch will determine if this team can compete this season, so it will also determine how the team should approach player moves, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 pm 

BBF wrote:

Well, on the one hand, other than the Cubs, I don't think that any of the teams that the Pirates are playing during this stretch are significantly better than them. On the other hand, they've played poorly on the road and against the Cubs thus far which doesn't bode well for 16 of the 22 games. Still, I think they're a better team than they were in April due to the addition by subtraction of Morris and the improved hitting of Laroche, Bay and Sanchez. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they'll win 10 or 11 of the 22. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do better than that.

BM

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:48 pm 

The Cards starting pitching is hanging by a thread. Their hitting is like the Pirates - good at the top and middle, lousy at the bottom of the lineup.

The Brewers are not hitting. Their pitching, aside from Sheets, is not enough for them to win pitchers duels.

The Reds have two young phenoms in the rotation, but like all 22-year old pitchers, they encounter problems as they mature. Additionally, Harang is not having a season like he did the past 2 years. Their offense is good, not great.

Houston is better than most thought. I knew that their hitting would carry them, and that Oswalt would anchor their staff, but their lower-tier starters (Wandy Rodriguez, Shawn Chacon, Brandon Backe) are peforming well.

The Cubs . . . well, 2-4 against that team would be possible, wouldn't it??

So, 12-10 the next 22. It can happen, and will make the Pirates 30-30. The last time they had that record, the season unfolded beautifully.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:56 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
It can happen, and will make the Pirates 30-30. The last time they had that record, the season unfolded beautifully.

LOL, June 11, 2005, the Bucs were 30-30. Went on to finish the season 72-90. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

And yes, I know you were joking.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:25 pm 

Argentum wrote:
And yes, I know you were joking.

You know me too well.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Houston is better than most thought. I knew that their hitting would carry them, and that Oswalt would anchor their staff, but their lower-tier starters (Wandy Rodriguez, Shawn Chacon, Brandon Backe) are peforming well.

Houston will fall apart soon enough. Once the weather heats up down in Houston, the balls will start flying out of that yard and those bargain bin pitchers they have are going to start getting lit up.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:15 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Houston will fall apart soon enough. Once the weather heats up down in Houston, the balls will start flying out of that yard and those bargain bin pitchers they have are going to start getting lit up.

I know that Houston is looked at as a bad team, due in large part to their very questionable starting pitching, but any team with Tejada , Lee and Berkman on offense and Roy Oswalt every fifth day is dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:40 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd say 9 or 10 of 22 sounds reasonable.

There is no way I see us beating the Cubs this time around. They are simply too good for the Pirates in my opinion.

3 or 4 from the Cards. I don't buy into their hype.

2 from the Reds

2 from the Astros

2 or 3 from the Brewers

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:08 pm 

The Reds are capable of being very dangerous when a couple of players contribute in a game here or there (remind you of any other teams?), though they have definitely been having a disappointing year so far, and Bucfan is dead on about the 2 young pitchers (Volquez and Cueto) being the only two real highlights, with the exception of the out of nowhere surprising start by Edwin Encarnacion. Really you just need to control the long ball with them. They look to do it in bunches and EE, Votto, Dunn and Griffey (remember those guys) are all capable of it. I hope to be at at least 2 of the 3 games at Great American Ballpark. So you can look forward to my first/second official Game Reports! Hopefully with photos as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:56 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I know that Houston is looked at as a bad team, due in large part to their very questionable starting pitching, but any team with Tejada , Lee and Berkman on offense and Roy Oswalt every fifth day is dangerous.

You apparently haven't seen how Oswalt has been pitching as of late.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:02 am 

I just want to see the Bucs stay around .500. Anything more would be a bonus, anything less a disappointment, because I think they are capable.

And yes, we can beat the freaking Cubs. Everybody else does, why can't we?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:09 pm 

Willton wrote:
You apparently haven't seen how Oswalt has been pitching as of late.

He was filthy against the Giants. 8 innings, 5 hits, 0 walks, 6 K's, win.

He is throwing really well. He had some poor outings, no doubt, but he is going to win 16 games, with an ERA of about 3.50 and with 180 K's - like he does every year.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:25 am 

2 down

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:07 pm 

6-6 with 10 to go.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:41 pm 

The Reds used every available player except Tuesday's starter Cuerto in their eighteen inning loss to San Diego today. It can only help the Bucs that Cincy had to utilise it's best two starters in Harang and Volquez for long relief. They were earmarked to pitch Wednesday and Thursday respectively. It's hard to believe that after Harang threw 103 pitches last Thursday and 63 today on two days rest, he'll face the Pirates at all.

Who's the likely spot starter? Josh Fogg, maybe?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:25 am 

Three of Cincy's five starters pitched tonight:

Matt Belisle started and threw 94 pitches in 4.1 innings.
Aaron Harang threw 4 shutout innings (63 pitches), and struck out 9. He also started on Thursday.
Edinson Volquez, the Reds' best starter and the NL ERA leader, came in to take the loss. He threw 39 pitches over 1.2 innings. He also started on Friday.

Looks like we'll see Cueto, Fogg, and then Arroyo. That way, they'd each have 5 days of rest.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 am 

RDV across the sea wrote:
The Reds used every available player except Tuesday's starter Cuerto in their eighteen inning loss to San Diego today. It can only help the Bucs that Cincy had to utilise it's best two starters in Harang and Volquez for long relief. They were earmarked to pitch Wednesday and Thursday respectively. It's hard to believe that after Harang threw 103 pitches last Thursday and 63 today on two days rest, he'll face the Pirates at all.

Who's the likely spot starter? Josh Fogg, maybe?

Welcome to the board RDV.
You have just doubled the Brit factor!