Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LaRoche signs 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:13 pm 

Adam Laroche signed today for $7.05 mil for this season only.

I have to say that I am a little mystified at this deal. First, I would think that the Pirates would do whatever they could to get him to at least a 2 year deal so that he would maintain trade value at the deadline. Second, if agents are suggesting that Adam Dunn and his 40 homers are only going to get $5 mil a year (I think that's an underestimation and he will still get closer to 10) then not only did we get him on a one year deal, but we aren't even getting a reasonable deal, which may make him untradeable at the deadline (esp. with other teams slashing budgets).

I suppose this point of view makes it appear as if I WANT to trade him, which isn't necessarily true. But, if he is gone at the end of the year anyways, I would have thought it prudent to try and get something for him. I think that is pretty unlikely now. But, I guess we can't evaluate it until the market has played itself out.

Post subject: Re: LaRoche signs 1 year deal
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:17 pm 

BBF wrote:
Adam Laroche signed today for $7.05 mil for this season only.

Considering he only produces for half a season, this deal is really worth $14.1 million.

We overpaid....... :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm 

So, I just got an email from an out of town friend who is not a Pirates fan, and he brought up a good point. What in the world could Laroche have been asking for had they gone to arbitration with him? Might it have been worth the risk?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:31 pm 

Hard to believe this guy is worth 7 mil. His failures are a lot more memorable than his successes, probably because by the time he starts hitting, the Pirates are playing out the string.

He and the Pirates could not agree on a multi-year deal, because they have drastically different opinions of what he is worth. That will prevent them from ever agreeing on a deal, and all but assures that he will be traded in July. Which is why I would love to see Minky back, so he can play first after the trade.

Don't assume that he will not have value, just because he is approaching free agency. If he is healthy and hitting, he will have value.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:38 pm 

I agree with Ralphie. He might bring something of value back in July, given his hot 2nd halfs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 pm 

ugh.

I'd rather bring back Jason Thompson for $7 mil.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm 

If you look at the stats, the guy really is a good player. We just don't think of him that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:16 pm 

Well i think its alittle high.I'm a big fan of LaRoche's and i think he will put together two good halfs again but wow 7 mil.I don't think he is worth anymore than 5 mil a year.
But Adam Dunn must have an ear to ear smile after hearing this cause he will get atleast 10 mil a year as long as its a 1 or 2 year deal.he could drop to a 7-8 mil range if its a 3-4 year deal.but wow just wow.
And since everyone just demands and recieves the price they want anymore im demanding $5 a post in the message board.Oh and i have a no trade clause so i can't be traded to another message board.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:19 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
Oh and i have a no trade clause so i can't be traded to another message board.

Wont be a problem. No other Message Board has shown any interest.

;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:15 pm 

I am not sure why people are saying he is overpaid. He was arbitration eligible so this is probably somewhere in the middle of what the team thought or his agent thought he is worth. But you can't just offer him $5 million because he can say $8 million and you will probably would have to pay him the $8 mil. He made $5 mil. last season so it's going to go up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:26 pm 

It's just silly to suggest that we should pay him 5 million when he made that last year and is arbitraton eligible. He would have gotten between 6 and 8 million. For us it's about as good as could be expected.

Better learn to like him for this season anyway. I hope he has a good first half.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
If you look at the stats, the guy really is a good player. We just don't think of him that way.

No, he's an average first baseman. If he could produce in April like he does the rest of the year, then he'd be good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:26 pm 

I have to wonder; if Laroche was on a contender where 2nd half games mean everything, would his slow starts not only be overlooked but forgiven and eclipsed by his clutch play down the stretch. Me, I think hes going to be a very valuable trade piece.