Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCutchen question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:30 pm 

It got buried in DK's piece about Alvarez's conditioning the other day, but there was this nugget re: Andrew McCutchen:

Quote:
McCutchen's added bulk -- 5 feet 11, 185 pounds now, every millimeter of it sculpted -- came through what he called "hard work and dedication," as well as simple maturity in turning 22 two months ago.

As minor league field coordinator Jeff Banister put it, "He's a man now, ain't he?"
~
His real motivation, from the sound of it, is making the Pirates' roster right away, even though their plan has him starting out at Indianapolis again.

"My picture of 2009 is that I'm there right out of spring training, man. The 25-man roster. That's where you've got to set it. That's where I've set it every year. Otherwise, what are you doing? You're just going to be there."

What would Cutch have to do in spring training to convince you he's earned a shot on the major league roster out of Bradenton (or a May-June call-up to delay his service clock)?

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: McCutchen question
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:35 pm 

I don't think there is anything he could do in spring training to convince me that should come north with the team. Spring training is simply too small of a sample size, and we have all witnessed players have outstanding springs only to collapse when the team heads north. That, incidently, is why I also believe it is a farce to give away rotation spots based on ST performance, but that's an argument for another time.

He needs to have an outstanding spring, and then follow that up by going to Indianapolis and showing us that he doesn't belong there anymore. If he does that, I am all for a May call-up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:40 pm 

BBF wrote:
He needs to have an outstanding spring, and then follow that up by going to Indianapolis and showing us that he doesn't belong there anymore. If he does that, I am all for a May call-up.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:10 pm 

Injury is the only reason I want Cutch to start the season in the bigs. Let him really prove himself in AAA. Stop getting caught stealing, Andrew.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:41 pm 

I agree Spring Training Stats are crap, but if he proves he's the number 2 guy in the OF out of camp I wouldnt have a problem coming North to start the season, but am in agreement if he's hitting .400 a May call up would be nice...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

When he shows he can dominate AAA pitching, and play sound baseball otherwise, then bring him up. Don't waste the arbitration year before then.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:35 pm 

I believe he hit quite well during Spring Training 2007.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I believe he hit quite well during Spring Training 2007.

And hit well in 2008 at camp too and decent in AAA...Spring Training Stats can be misleading...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 pm 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
It got buried in DK's piece about Alvarez's conditioning the other day, but there was this nugget re: Andrew McCutchen:

Quote:
McCutchen's added bulk -- 5 feet 11, 185 pounds now, every millimeter of it sculpted -- came through what he called "hard work and dedication," as well as simple maturity in turning 22 two months ago.

As minor league field coordinator Jeff Banister put it, "He's a man now, ain't he?"
~
His real motivation, from the sound of it, is making the Pirates' roster right away, even though their plan has him starting out at Indianapolis again.

"My picture of 2009 is that I'm there right out of spring training, man. The 25-man roster. That's where you've got to set it. That's where I've set it every year. Otherwise, what are you doing? You're just going to be there."

What would Cutch have to do in spring training to convince you he's earned a shot on the major league roster out of Bradenton (or a May-June call-up to delay his service clock)?

Walk on water, then turn it into wine for the guy that he raised from the dead to drink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:33 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I agree Spring Training Stats are crap, but if he proves he's the number 2 guy in the OF out of camp I wouldnt have a problem coming North to start the season, but am in agreement if he's hitting .400 a May call up would be nice...

Given that you agree that spring training stats are crap, just how is he supposed to prove he's the number two guy in the outfield during spring training? By comparing his crap numbers with the crap numbers of his competition?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:50 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Given that you agree that spring training stats are crap, just how is he supposed to prove he's the number two guy in the outfield during spring training? By comparing his crap numbers with the crap numbers of his competition?

Whatever process management has to determine how the players performed in Spring Training...If he comes in and is running routes in the outfield unbelievable and seems like he has a keen sense of the strike zone and shows some added power, not HR's in the box score every day, but the ball coming off the bat with authority...
But I'd only want him to come up if he comes out and shows hes better than Morgan, Moss and Pearce...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

Whatever process management has to determine how the players performed in Spring Training...If he comes in and is running routes in the outfield unbelievable and seems like he has a keen sense of the strike zone and shows some added power, not HR's in the box score every day, but the ball coming off the bat with authority...
But I'd only want him to come up if he comes out and shows hes better than Morgan, Moss and Pearce...

Even if he shows all that, you still start him in AAA for at least a month to get the extra year from him. (See Evan Longoria)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:51 pm 

Just read that SI.com has him ranked the #8 prospect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm 

I agree with buccoboy. Unless we have injuries or something, save the year worth of service time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
I agree with buccoboy. Unless we have injuries or something, save the year worth of service time.

As do I. Makes total sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 pm 

Kingston wrote:

Do you have a link for that?

Here is 2008. LaRoche, Pearce, Tabata, Cutch are all on there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... in.top100/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Do you have a link for that?

Here is 2008. LaRoche, Pearce, Tabata, Cutch are all on there.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... in.top100/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 am 

I'm fine with keeping him in AAA to preserve a year of service time, but I hope for the love of god they bring him up in May. It's a realistic possibility that he would be the only thing worthwhile to watch this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 am 

omgardd wrote:
I'm fine with keeping him in AAA to preserve a year of service time, but I hope for the love of god they bring him up in May. It's a realistic possibility that he would be the only thing worthwhile to watch this season.

Regardless of whether it is good for his development as a player? It sounds to me like you could give a damn whether this team wins in the future. Outside of the possibility that you have some life-threatening disease, I don't understand why you would want McCutchen in Pittsburgh if he's not ready.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 am 

Willton wrote:
omgardd wrote:

Regardless of whether it is good for his development as a player? It sounds to me like you could give a damn whether this team wins in the future. Outside of the possibility that you have some life-threatening disease, I don't understand why you would want McCutchen in Pittsburgh if he's not ready.

I for one feel he is ready, could've been ready last september, and judging by the apparent shape he's in, is going to show that he's more ready than Pearce, Moss, Monroe, Morgan, RJ Reynolds, Cecil Espy and Carmelo Martinez.

Although your opinion is that I could give a damn if they win in the future or not, in fact, I want them to win today, tomorrow, and yesterday. Obviously I am not like you and the vocal minority here who are willing to give the team a pass in 2009 though.