Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I just couldn't help myself.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 am 

I just finished watching game 7 of the 1992 NLCS on ESPN classic. It's like watching a car crash or a building on fire. But it was fun to watch Andy Van Slyke make diving catches and Doug Drabek make quality pitch after quality pitch. Even with that finish, I would trade that year for any of the following sixteen.

Here's wishing that we all get to share such fun again soon.

Post subject: Re: I just couldn't help myself.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:38 am 

I watched it too, and I think my reaction was the same...staring in disbelief at the TV. How is that possible 16 1/2 years later??? A better question is how is it 16 1/2 years later???? And yea, I'm with you on that brad...a season like that even with that type of ending is quite a bit more fun than what we as fans have had to endure since....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am 

I couldn't watch. Too much impending gloom.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:19 am 

Andy VanSlyke sitting in center staring in disbelief is etched into my minds eye.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 pm 

Incredibly, I watched again, too. As if my memory needed refreshed. One thing I'll say, though, the pitches to Damon Berryhill looked a little more borderline than I remembered. Over the years, I had come to believe that they were unquestionably strikes. I still hate Randy Marsh, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Incredibly, I watched again, too. As if my memory needed refreshed. One thing I'll say, though, the pitches to Damon Berryhill looked a little more borderline than I remembered. Over the years, I had come to believe that they were unquestionably strikes. I still hate Randy Marsh, though.

I've never watched any replays of game 7. Don't really want to for that matter. But I would like to review the Berryhill AB for the reasons you stated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:18 pm 

I guess after watching it again, I tend to lay the disaster more at Belinda's feet. He had nothing on the ball and was up in the zone. Also, Chico Lind makes that play 95 times out of a hundred, even without pants. No explanation there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 pm 

I taped the 7th game, hoping to keep it for joyful posterity! I couldn't watch the 9th inning when the game was played, and needless to say, I have not been able to watch it since! I had tickets to the first game of the WS and during the 9th my sister called to check about arrangements for picking up my nephew for the World Series. I screamed at her "The game isn't over yet" and then it was over. I have never known such pain.....and the pain of that moment is still with me if I think about it too long. I think we all knew that things were not going to be good for the future with Drabek and Bonds leaving, and Bonilla had left in '91, but I don't think any of us could imagine the string of losing seasons and futility that would follow. I only hope that I live long enough to see the Pirates be a competitive team again and maybe reach the World Series. I'm always hopeful. But, I certainly am not hopeful for this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
I guess after watching it again, I tend to lay the disaster more at Belinda's feet. He had nothing on the ball and was up in the zone. Also, Chico Lind makes that play 95 times out of a hundred, even without pants. No explanation there.

Maybe if he would have been without pants he'd have had more range to get the ball

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:57 am 

One thing that bothered the sh!t out of me about the game, other than the obvious. In the 8th inning, Bonds leads off with a single -- why doesn't he steal second????

The Braves catcher had thrown out nobody that series. Bonds owned him. Yet, Barry stands on first. If he steals second, he scores easily on the King double, the Bucs go up 3-0 and the inning continues.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:38 am 

Bucfan wrote:
The Braves catcher had thrown out nobody that series. Bonds owned him. Yet, Barry stands on first. If he steals second, he scores easily on the King double, the Bucs go up 3-0 and the inning continues.

Yep.

Here's another observation. I vividly remember my dad being so pissed off at Merced's inability to get Bond's over to second:

Orlando Merced batted between Bonds and King. If he finds a way to move Bonds over, we score that 3rd run easily. Instead he bounces to the SS and Bonds is erased on a FC. Merced then goes on to be thrown out at home trying to score on King's double. We'd have been better off if the Big O had struck out (situational out fans, please let this dog lie, you know who you are.... :) ), leaving Bonds at first, and increasing our chances of him scoring on the double.

That inning sucked, but it played the perfect setup roll for the ninth...........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 pm 

We would have won that game convincingly if Leyland would have started Redus, McClendon and Slaught in Game 7 instead of Merced, Cole and LaVaillere. The aforementioned three were having a monster series. If I ever get kidnapped or held hostage, it would be far worse to be forced to watch the 9th inning of that game instead of being waterboarded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:50 am 

I'm not sure you can assume that we would have scored anymore with those three starting and we might also have given up more, especially with Slaught vs. LaValliere. Besides, if McClendon starts he pulls his hamstring in the first inning instead of the 9th ;)

If I were to take issue with Leyland it would have been with the aforementioned baserunning of Bonds or with letting Drabek bat and then sending him out there to start the 9th with a high pitch count on three days rest.

But Leyland has made a pretty good career out of challenging conventional wisdom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:17 pm 

Prince of Pittsburgh wrote:
We would have won that game convincingly if Leyland would have started Redus, McClendon and Slaught in Game 7 instead of Merced, Cole and LaVaillere. The aforementioned three were having a monster series. If I ever get kidnapped or held hostage, it would be far worse to be forced to watch the 9th inning of that game instead of being waterboarded.

I dont know....would that be worse, that or being forced to watch a collection of lowlights from the past 16 years? (Mondesi, Meares, Brumfield, Littlefield, Brant Brown, Ramon Martinez, Mark Johnston, Burnitz, Lou Collier?)

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 pm 

I often wondered, to, about the decision to wave Merced home on the double down the line in the seventh with one out. True, LaValliere was coming up against the lefty Avery, but I liked the chances of him making contact and getting Merced home.