Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snider tendered
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:40 am 

Pretty surprising. Travis Snider (and all other eligible tender candidates) have been tendered. For speculation purposes, Decker is currently on the 40 man in addition to Tabata and Lambo to round out the OF.

Non-tendered are the obvious three of Jones, McKenry and McPherson, who we all know were previously DFA'd.

Post subject: Re: Snider tendered
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:41 am 

Here are Pirates non-tenders.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/5182007-74/arbitration-players-million#axzz2mONTqimn

Here is a list of all the non-tenders.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mlbtrs-non-tender-tracker.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Can't say I'm overly surprised. Wouldn't have been either way. I think he showed "just" enough while healthy this year to avoid creating a Brandon Moss somewhere else...

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:26 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Can't say I'm overly surprised. Wouldn't have been either way. I think he showed "just" enough while healthy this year to avoid creating a Brandon Moss somewhere else...

ZM

He had some big hits as a pinch hitter.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:31 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

I'm surprised given his lack of spot on the roster, not that he was retained due to his upside. The latter is basically just a harmless gamble, but with the recent Decker acquisition I'm surprised he wasn't let walk with Tabata/Lambo already being the Polanco placeholder. If he comes into ST healthy, he could play the perennial Presley role of being the longshot competing for a 3rd OF role with Decker, or he could simply also be cut in ST because the money isn't guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

TheShark wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

I'm surprised given his lack of spot on the roster, not that he was retained due to his upside. The latter is basically just a harmless gamble, but with the recent Decker acquisition I'm surprised he wasn't let walk with Tabata/Lambo already being the Polanco placeholder. If he comes into ST healthy, he could play the perennial Presley role of being the longshot competing for a 3rd OF role with Decker, or he could simply also be cut in ST because the money isn't guaranteed.

He'd help his case of making the team if Santa Claus got him a 1st baseman's glove and took some fielding practice from Baby New Years over there.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I think he's a much better hedge against Lambo than Decker. I think every time NH puts his finger over the "eject" button, he see's that shot into the river, or almost...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:04 pm 

TheShark wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Are you sure? I didn't know you could offer non-guaranteed contracts in this situation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:17 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
TheShark wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

Are you sure? I didn't know you could offer non-guaranteed contracts in this situation.

If you cut the guy before the season you only have to pay a small portion of his contract.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
I think he's a much better hedge against Lambo than Decker. I think every time NH puts his finger over the "eject" button, he see's that shot into the river, or almost...

ZM

I too would give Snider more than his fair share of chances.