Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadspin Buys HOF Vote
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:34 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html

Quote:
The popular blog — which bills itself as it "sports news without access, favor, or discretion" — convinced a BBWAA member with Hall of Fame voting privileges to sell his or her vote. We don't know who sold the vote to Deadspin or for how much (or what the consequences will be once all that is revealed). But we know Deadspin plans let its readers decide which of the 36 names on the 2014 ballot are worthy of enshrinement in Cooperstown. Hall of Fame voters can choose up to 10 players. The results will be announced Jan. 8.

Quote:
Our idea was to make a mockery and farce of the increasingly solemn and absurd election process, and to take some power from the duly appointed custodians of the game's history and turn it over to the public ...

A member of the Baseball Writers' Association of America thought our plan sounded like a pretty damn good idea and sold us his/her vote, making a stand against the idea that a somewhat random subsection of the baseball press should maintain the power to confer what is, regrettably, the game's most prestigious honor. For obvious reasons, the voter will remain anonymous for now, but he/she will be filling out his ballot on behalf of Deadspin readers, who will be polled in binding elections. The voter will announce his/her name and motivations once his/her vote has been officially cast.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Deadspin Buys HOF Vote
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 pm 

Love it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 pm 

Good for him/her. I hate that writers (many are really just glorified fans) hold most of the power in the HOF inductions rather than former players, execs, managers, etc... I also think there should be a fan element to it but the impact should be low like it will be in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:25 pm 

Never understood the outrage at HOF voting.

Are there some players in the HOF who do not belong there (Luke Appling, for example)? Yeah, sure.

Are some not in the Hall who should be there (Tim Raines, maybe)? Once again, yeah, sure.

So what? All of this angst because the system is not perfect?

No system is perfect. The present system does pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Are there some players in the HOF who do not belong there (Luke Appling, for example)? Yeah, sure.

Are some not in the Hall who should be there (Tim Raines, maybe)? Once again, yeah, sure.

Absolutely not. The sports writers who vote have shown a ton of bias in the past. They can't look past their personal issues with certain players.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I'm with you. What some see as solemn hypocrisy, I see as people who take the job seriously. I know those guys will take a whole lot more time making their choices than is going to result from some on-line survey. And besides, we've seen in all-star voting that both fans and players are just as capable of making stupid, bone-headed choices.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:10 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

I agree that no system is perfect, but Baseball's seems the most petty. More than any other sport, personal grievances are brought into play.

Jim Rice was nearly kept out entirely because of his surly relationship with the media.

The influence of one's team weighs heavier in baseball than other sports. Perhaps that is just my opinion, but the NFL and NHL (I don't follow the NBA) seem to respect the player...not the uniform they were playing in. Baseball is routinely focused on 'where' the player put on his spikes. I think it is one of the big reasons Biggio didn't get in this last season. He played in 'lowly' Houston. It is why players on the Yanks get more attention than they should.

Lastly, and this goes for all of the HOF's, either you are a Hall of Famer or not. To hear about people who don't get placed on writer's ballots until their six or seventh time, then removing them, then putting them back on. BS! They are or they aren't...other than the honor of a "First Ballot" electee (which is pushing it in my opinion) there is no reason to waffle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:10 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

I agree that no system is perfect, but Baseball's seems the most petty. More than any other sport, personal grievances are brought into play.

Jim Rice was nearly kept out entirely because of his surly relationship with the media.

The influence of one's team weighs heavier in baseball than other sports. Perhaps that is just my opinion, but the NFL and NHL (I don't follow the NBA) seem to respect the player...not the uniform they were playing in. Baseball is routinely focused on 'where' the player put on his spikes. I think it is one of the big reasons Biggio didn't get in this last season. He played in 'lowly' Houston. It is why players on the Yanks get more attention than they should.

Lastly, and this goes for all of the HOF's, either you are a Hall of Famer or not. To hear about people who don't get placed on writer's ballots until their six or seventh time, then removing them, then putting them back on. BS! They are or they aren't...other than the honor of a "First Ballot" electee (which is pushing it in my opinion) there is no reason to waffle.

Jim Rice was a borderline candidate at best, and he wouldn't have been even that had he not played his entire career at Fenway.