Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Garrett Jones is likely gone (OFFICIALLY)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 pm 

DFA'd to make room on the 40-man for two new players.

Pirates trade Alex Dickerson for Jaff Decker and Miles Mikolas.

Decker is a former top prospect for the Padres. 23 year old OF who has played about a half season in AAA and then got a cup of coffee last year for 13 games.

Mikolas is a right handed reliever. So he'll probably be an All-Star by 2015.

Appears that Lambo at 1B could be a pretty real possibility. Dickerson likely fell out of favor when his back flared up at the AFL. Been a recurring issue.

Post subject: Re: Garrett Jones is likely gone (OFFICIALLY)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 pm 

Damn, I've got to type faster. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:06 pm 

If the Pirates start the 2014 campaign with Andrew Lambo as the starting first baseman, something went wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.

I don't mind Lambo as a bench option for right field and first base, but as a starter at a new position? Nope. Huntington still has work to do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 pm 

Yeah I agree with that. In fact finding a lefty to play first is our top priority.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:32 pm 

At least those who thought not resigning Byrd meant there was a good chance Jones would be back (and the "FO is taking the off-season off crowd) can settle down. He was pretty obviously a prime non-tender candidate, especially at the arbitration price. Anyway, Jones had a nice little career with the Pirates given how he was acquired for nothing (one of Huntington's more savvy signings, though it happened so early in his tenure that he really never gets credit for it). His rookie year was pretty much the single highlight of the '09 team besides McCutchen and it was nice to see him post a career year in 2012. Sad that he dropped off so badly last year that he couldn't even hit RHP, but it was kind of anticipated at his age.

I was big on Dickerson (especially considering the Pirates lack of internal 1B options) but Decker is a pretty interesting return. Obviously you take last year's rather solid AAA numbers with a grain of salt since it was the hitter-friendly PCL but he gets bonus points from me for the plate discipline being a plus. I completely trust Huntington re: Mikolas considering his track record with acquiring bullpen arms, not to mention that even I can see that a hard throwing groundball pitcher is a good thing.

Sad how much McPherson has fallen in the last two years with the TJS, et al. Maybe he'll clear waivers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:04 pm 

Wonder if getting those two in return frees up Tabata and/or a current bullpen arm to be included in a trade for a 1B.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Tabata for Ike Davis! Straight up! GM OF THE YEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:56 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
Wonder if getting those two in return frees up Tabata and/or a current bullpen arm to be included in a trade for a 1B.

Tabata is going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Tabata is going nowhere.

Why do you say that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Tabata is going nowhere.

Why do you say that?

Why would they trade Tabata? It must be because he's old and doesn't get on base.

I don't know why some people want Tabata gone so much. He's way more valuable to the 2014 Pirates than any return they're going to get for him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

JollyRoger wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Tabata is going nowhere.

Why do you say that?

Why would they trade Tabata? It must be because he's old and doesn't get on base.

I don't know why some people want Tabata gone so much. He's way more valuable to the 2014 Pirates than any return they're going to get for him.

Tough to evaluate a return without seeing it :) That said, buckle up today. Going to be a fun one in Rochester.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:57 am 

Rochester wrote:
Tough to evaluate a return without seeing it :) That said, buckle up today. Going to be a fun one in Rochester.

Very true...

And yes, happy November! :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 am 

JollyRoger wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Why do you say that?

Quite the contrary from what you are getting at there. I feel he is a good player when healthy and his good final 2 months may of raised his value. His low contract also makes him an attractive player. With that said, we have a lot of OF talent when you count Polanco in the mix come June, but no 1B options. Thus, with the acquisition of Decker, that would make moving Tabata something we could live with if he could be used as one of the players in a trade to acquire a 1B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 am 

Why would Tabata be way more valuable to the Pirates than he would be to another team? Would he suddenly lose his ability to play if were traded?

He is an effective player but he is not a key part of our team. Besides, even key players can be traded if they bring enough value in return.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:35 am 

JollyRoger wrote:

That's either an endorsement of his value to the Pirates... or an indictment of his trade value.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 pm 

Rochester wrote:
That said, buckle up today. Going to be a fun one in Rochester.

Don't miss that at all. Not for one second...... ;) ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:26 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Why would Tabata be way more valuable to the Pirates than he would be to another team? Would he suddenly lose his ability to play if were traded?

He is an effective player but he is not a key part of our team. Besides, even key players can be traded if they bring enough value in return.

Key part, no. Valuable, yes. Maybe I'm underestimating what teams would pay for him.

My thinking is that trading Tabata for a 1B (or any position really) would create another much bigger hole in the lineup. At least we know Gaby is one of the best ~(2/7) of the time.

Perhaps the Decker acquisition signals the end for Tabata in Pittsburgh but I would not be comfortable going into 2014 with my two RF options having a combined 64 ML plate appearances. If NH is I'll be shocked.

Now, if Polanco comes up and plays like everyone thinks he's going to, I'm all for trading Tabata at the deadline but given the current state of the roster I think Tabata is a very valuable piece going into the 2014 season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:02 pm 

Dr. Phibes wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:

Tabata is going nowhere.

Why do you say that?

Because he's their third best outfield option, under a reasonable contract, and is still young enough to improve a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:52 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Because he's their third best outfield option, under a reasonable contract, and is still young enough to improve a lot.

[Insert Tabata age joke here ... ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 pm 

I like Tabata and think he can do a good job if staying healthy…..I believe his age…..the lips tattoo is evidence of his age…... 8-)