Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:21 am 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5446
Location: Pittsburgh
mjdouble wrote:
Here you go: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodgers- ... landscape/

Cards get $14 million/year from Fox Sports Midwest
Pirates get $18 million/year from ROOT Sports

Not sure about radio. I'd assume the Cards probably have a healthier contract with their radio networks than the Pirates. It might make up the difference in the TV contracts. It wouldn't be the reason the Cards can afford the payroll they do. They generate way higher revenues than the Pirates because they put butts in seats and do it at a rather hefty price.

I'm shocked by those numbers, and I sincerely hope that the Cards fired the idiot who negotiated that deal.

Nevertheless, Forbes has the Cardinals ranked 7th in all of baseball in revenue. For perspective, the Pirates ranked 27th. The markets are most definitely NOT comparable.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:27 am 
Online
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5446
Location: Pittsburgh
mjdouble wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
They're riskier because if they fail you're screwed. If the prospects fail, you can sign a guy. Then at least if he bombs you exhausted your options and our in the best effort possible.

There's no upside to the also-rans because even if they're good they're gone in 1-2 years and you need to sign another guy you need to pray isn't Erik Bedard since apparently trying out a prospect in that gap isn't prudent. Like I said, if we're preaching sustainability this isn't the way to go because it's a cycle of gambling on old guys. If the prospect is good he can't leave for 6, and in 99% of cases he's younger.

The beauty of filling holes is that you have mods money to target the top. I'm not concerned about a shallow free agent pool, if we only have 2-3 needs you can target the guys at or near the top of their positions. You aren't trying to sign multiple middling free agents on the cheap.


Here you go with the hyperbole. No one is saying to sign a guy to some enormous long term deal that could blow up on them. You get a vet starting pitcher and a 1B that can help for now. And no one is saying the prospects should't get chances. This all come back to your irrational fear of prospects being blocked. I think it is much more prudent to have a healthy mix of sensible vet signings and prospects than to just turn the keys of the car over to the young guys.

How much money do you spend on the vet starting pitcher and nonexistent first baseman that can help? How many years on their contracts?

YOU have stated a specific instance that a prospect should not get a chance. His name is Lambo and he hit over 30 home runs last year. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:14 am 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts: 333
sisyphus wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
Here you go: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodgers- ... landscape/

Cards get $14 million/year from Fox Sports Midwest
Pirates get $18 million/year from ROOT Sports

Not sure about radio. I'd assume the Cards probably have a healthier contract with their radio networks than the Pirates. It might make up the difference in the TV contracts. It wouldn't be the reason the Cards can afford the payroll they do. They generate way higher revenues than the Pirates because they put butts in seats and do it at a rather hefty price.

I'm shocked by those numbers, and I sincerely hope that the Cards fired the idiot who negotiated that deal.

Nevertheless, Forbes has the Cardinals ranked 7th in all of baseball in revenue. For perspective, the Pirates ranked 27th. The markets are most definitely NOT comparable.



St Louis is the 21st largest media market. Pittsburgh is 23rd. They are very close.

The Cardinals have such large revenues because they put a great product on the field year after year. Because of that they have built large season ticket base.

Cards attendance last year was 3.36 million. Avg ticket price was $33.11.
Pirates attendance last year was 2.25 million. Avg ticket price was $17.21.

Cards 2013 Ticket Revenue 3.36 X 33.11 X .662 = $73.64 million
Pirates 2013 Ticket Revenue 2.25 X 17.21 X .662 = $25.63 million

The Cards are pretty much tapped out on ticket money. They are at 95% capacity. They probably don't have a lot of room to raise ticket prices all that much either. The Pirates have plenty of room for growth. Probably never see them get to where the Cards are in my lifetime, but the Pittsburgh market has plenty of potential for the Pirates to significantly close that gap. Milwaukee is a much smaller market and they have an average ticket price of $25 and have been outdrawing the Pirates fairly significantly.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:26 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1081
Wonder how much the Bucs make on food & beer.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
How much money do you spend on the vet starting pitcher and nonexistent first baseman that can help? How many years on their contracts?

YOU have stated a specific instance that a prospect should not get a chance. His name is Lambo and he hit over 30 home runs last year. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues.


Multiple people have provided options relating to your first question. Something around two years and $16M for James Loney would be a good deal for the Pirates. He can hit and he plays good defense at first (always a plus for the Pirates' ground ball inducing pitching staff). There are still a good number of veteran pitchers out there, but my preference would be to bring back A.J. Burnett for about $10-12M. If not, I'd love to see the team bring in Scott Kazmir -- he's only 29 years old, he regained his fastball velocity in 2013 (averaging north of 92 mph), he's a lefty, and he could probably be signed for something in the 2-year, $10-12M range. These are a just a few options. I'm fairly confident that Huntington and his enterprising scouts are capable of identifying more. And I haven't even mentioned the trade market.

As for Lambo, I really like the guy. But that doesn't mean you hand him the starting job at a position where he has very little experience (what if his defense is awful?). And you're wrong about him having "nothing to prove" in the minors. After spending parts of 6 seasons at AA, you're relying on a single year of production to support his being promoted to MLB starter. He hasn't demonstrated consistency in the minors at all, and he has everything to prove at the major league level. Now, as I said, I like him, but more as a bench player and spot starter in the outfield and at first. If he earns more playing time, great. I'd just like the Pirates to have more options than Lambo, particularly at first base.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
Here you go: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/dodgers- ... landscape/

Cards get $14 million/year from Fox Sports Midwest
Pirates get $18 million/year from ROOT Sports

Not sure about radio. I'd assume the Cards probably have a healthier contract with their radio networks than the Pirates. It might make up the difference in the TV contracts. It wouldn't be the reason the Cards can afford the payroll they do. They generate way higher revenues than the Pirates because they put butts in seats and do it at a rather hefty price.


I'm shocked by those numbers, and I sincerely hope that the Cards fired the idiot who negotiated that deal.

Nevertheless, Forbes has the Cardinals ranked 7th in all of baseball in revenue. For perspective, the Pirates ranked 27th. The markets are most definitely NOT comparable.


mjdouble wrote:
St Louis is the 21st largest media market. Pittsburgh is 23rd. They are very close.

The Cardinals have such large revenues because they put a great product on the field year after year. Because of that they have built large season ticket base.

Cards attendance last year was 3.36 million. Avg ticket price was $33.11.
Pirates attendance last year was 2.25 million. Avg ticket price was $17.21.

Cards 2013 Ticket Revenue 3.36 X 33.11 X .662 = $73.64 million
Pirates 2013 Ticket Revenue 2.25 X 17.21 X .662 = $25.63 million

The Cards are pretty much tapped out on ticket money. They are at 95% capacity. They probably don't have a lot of room to raise ticket prices all that much either. The Pirates have plenty of room for growth. Probably never see them get to where the Cards are in my lifetime, but the Pittsburgh market has plenty of potential for the Pirates to significantly close that gap. Milwaukee is a much smaller market and they have an average ticket price of $25 and have been outdrawing the Pirates fairly significantly.


Exactly. Sisyphus -- you can't equate revenue with market size. The Cardinals have a similar market size, albeit with a larger media reach, but generate about $50 million more revenue through tickets and likely quite a bit more through parking, concessions, and merchandise sales. As the Pirates become more successful, raise ticket prices, increase attendance, and receive more revenue from parking, concessions, and merchandise, they should be able to close much of the gap -- as mjdouble explains above.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
How much money do you spend on the vet starting pitcher and nonexistent first baseman that can help? How many years on their contracts?


Here's an argument that I absolutely despise. Somehow, posters on this message board are supposed to know the answers.

Now, sisyphus, I don't expect Neal Huntington to know whether I should attempt to remove a state case to federal court, or whether to move for dismissal of an action under Rule 12(b)(6) or 12(b)(1), but somehow you expect me (and/or others on this message board) to know who the Pirates' free agent and trade targets should be, and what kind of contractual terms they could or should agree to?

That's ridiculous. Huntington is paid handsomely to know far more about the Pirates' player acquisition options than we could possibly know. He has many people working with him whose tasks include combing the country and, indeed, the world for baseball talent. I certainly hope that they, and he, are able to assess that talent, identify the best players to acquire, and, to the extent possible, secure their services for the Pittsburgh Baseball Club.

I'm certainly capable of identifying the team's general weaknesses, reading the most cogent analysis of same, voicing my opinion on possible targets, and estimating potential contractual terms based on a $5M/WAR kind of metric. Absolutely. And I've done so. But it's up to Huntington to execute the plan. He did so superbly last off-season, and I hope he can repeat that success. He shouldn't be immune to criticism, but I've come around and I trust him.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:24 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts: 333
J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
How much money do you spend on the vet starting pitcher and nonexistent first baseman that can help? How many years on their contracts?

YOU have stated a specific instance that a prospect should not get a chance. His name is Lambo and he hit over 30 home runs last year. He has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues.


Multiple people have provided options relating to your first question. Something around two years and $16M for James Loney would be a good deal for the Pirates. He can hit and he plays good defense at first (always a plus for the Pirates' ground ball inducing pitching staff). There are still a good number of veteran pitchers out there, but my preference would be to bring back A.J. Burnett for about $10-12M. If not, I'd love to see the team bring in Scott Kazmir -- he's only 29 years old, he regained his fastball velocity in 2013 (averaging north of 92 mph), he's a lefty, and he could probably be signed for something in the 2-year, $10-12M range. These are a just a few options. I'm fairly confident that Huntington and his enterprising scouts are capable of identifying more. And I haven't even mentioned the trade market.

As for Lambo, I really like the guy. But that doesn't mean you hand him the starting job at a position where he has very little experience (what if his defense is awful?). And you're wrong about him having "nothing to prove" in the minors. After spending parts of 6 seasons at AA, you're relying on a single year of production to support his being promoted to MLB starter. He hasn't demonstrated consistency in the minors at all, and he has everything to prove at the major league level. Now, as I said, I like him, but more as a bench player and spot starter in the outfield and at first. If he earns more playing time, great. I'd just like the Pirates to have more options than Lambo, particularly at first base.


I pretty much echo this. The plan, not necessarily the names. I'm not interested in Kazmir. I think he is overvalued now. I'd go even further for Burnett. I would have offered him the QO. He wasn't going to accept it anyway. He wouldn't take a deal that doesn't include a no trade clause. I'm still holding out hope they can sign him. I'd be willing to go near $14 million to get him. The best replacements for AJ are already off the market. I wanted the Bucs to be in on Tim Hudson or Dan Haren. So I absolutely would have gone $10-$12 million for a 1 year deal for the right pitcher. I don't see anyone worth that now. I'd be ok with Joe Saunders or Paul Maholm on a 1 year deal. Call them retreads if you want, but they are lefties that offer reliable innings. I don't think Wandy is going to hold up so I'm ok with adding one of those guys. At 1B, I don't love Loney, but he is a fit and I don't believe in Lambo. I do think Loney will play up to a 2 year deal. He does get on base and he does play good defense. People can downplay the importance of 1B defense if they want. It is actually becoming more important as teams start looking to do more shifts on RH hitters. You can't shift if you have a clod-foot with an iron glove playing 15 feet further from the bag all alone on the right side of the infield. Although I'd vet out as much of the 1B trade market as possible first. Upgrades exist via trade that would be cheaper than Loney.

As for Lambo, I'm not high on him. I think he is going to fail. But I do want to give him an audition. What I don't want is to go into next season with Lambo at 1B and a brittle Jose Tabata in RF. I'm fine with Lambo getting half a season in RF to see what he can do. He and Tabata can split time there and you can find out a lot about him over the first 3 months of the season.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5118
Location: Washington, DC
Andrew Lambo is trying to learn to play first base in Venezuela. But he didn't bring his bat with him.

From Pirates Prospects:

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11 ... -loss.html

On a slow night in Winter ball, almost all the action from Thursday happened in Venezuela. Andrew Lambo went 0-for-3 with a walk, as his Cardenales de Lara team lost 3-1. He is hitting .103 through nine games, going 3-for-29 with five walks and five RBIs.

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/11 ... n-win.html

In Venezuela, Andrew Lambo went 1-for-4 with a double in the first game of a scheduled doubleheader. In game two, he went 0-for-2 with a walk. After eight games, he is hitting .115 in 26 at-bats. Wednesday was a small victory for the struggling Lambo, who had struck out 11 times in his first six games, picking up at least one each game. He didn’t strikeout in either game Wednesday.

I still think the kid could become a player, but again, I'm not comfortable with him as the Pirates' starting first baseman going into 2014. And, while this is just a guess, I don't think Neal Huntington is, either.

Remember, the Pirates have $25 million more in national television revenue, they saved nearly $6 million by non-tendering Garrett Jones, and they declined to give A.J. Burnett a $14.1 million qualifying offer. The team has money to spend, and I doubt Huntington just sits on it. I'm not a betting man, but if I was, I'd wager that Huntington is looking to use the Pirates' cash on a good first baseman and veteran starting pitcher.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 925
Location: Rochester, New York
I have little faith that Lambo can be a desirable full time starter, mainly because his K rate is astronomical. I'm all for giving him a shot as a 4th OF/1B option to begin the year though. Figuring it out at AA is never bad news and in Lambo's case he did it while he was pretty much age appropriate.

I still want Loney for ~2 years though. I think they can afford both him and Gaby (if the MLBTR estimates are fairly accurate) and give the Pirates above average offensive output from 1B.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
I have my own thoughts on what the pirates should do this offseason, and hope to post them in a longer, more convoluted message after the holiday break when I am not limited to posting from an iPhone on slow hotel wifi with a toddler in my lap.

Just wanted to chime in that part of the revenue gap between markets (even between pgh and Milwaukee) is that in addition to our well-below market tv deal, the pirates also do not get parking revenue. My understanding is that all north shore lots (with the exception of the city parking authority garage) are owned by Mr. Stabile.

As far as concessions go, I do not know for sure how that works, but keep in mind that none of the concession stands are run by the pirates either. Primanti's and Quaker state and Aramark run the concessions. Whether the pirates see any money on a per hot dog basis or just lease money for the space, I do not know. Certainly more fans in the park means more wieners consumed means more profit for Aramark means justification for higher leases though.

And finally, keep in mind that pnc seats less than 40,000 fans including standing room. Three million fans over 81 home games is 37,000+ per game. We aren't going to close the attendance gap either unless we're adding more seats somewhere. Or, of course, jack up ticket prices.

Compared to St. Louis, I think our local revenue POTENTIAL is much smaller.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:37 am 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts: 333
BBF wrote:
I have my own thoughts on what the pirates should do this offseason, and hope to post them in a longer, more convoluted message after the holiday break when I am not limited to posting from an iPhone on slow hotel wifi with a toddler in my lap.

Just wanted to chime in that part of the revenue gap between markets (even between pgh and Milwaukee) is that in addition to our well-below market tv deal, the pirates also do not get parking revenue. My understanding is that all north shore lots (with the exception of the city parking authority garage) are owned by Mr. Stabile.

As far as concessions go, I do not know for sure how that works, but keep in mind that none of the concession stands are run by the pirates either. Primanti's and Quaker state and Aramark run the concessions. Whether the pirates see any money on a per hot dog basis or just lease money for the space, I do not know. Certainly more fans in the park means more wieners consumed means more profit for Aramark means justification for higher leases though.

And finally, keep in mind that pnc seats less than 40,000 fans including standing room. Three million fans over 81 home games is 37,000+ per game. We aren't going to close the attendance gap either unless we're adding more seats somewhere. Or, of course, jack up ticket prices.

Compared to St. Louis, I think our local revenue POTENTIAL is much smaller.


It is true teams don't make as much on concessions as people think. I believe the team gets money for leasing the space to concessionaires and they get a small cut of the profits. When Deadspin leaked the Pirates financials a few years ago it showed the Pirates were making about $5 per each fan in concession revenue and that lines up with the other 4 teams that had their financials leaked. Signage and naming rights was more lucrative than concessions. As for potential in ticket sales, sure, the Cardinals have a bit higher of a ceiling. Their park does hold an additional 8000 fans. But the Pirates have more potential for growth. The Cards played at 95% capacity. The Pirates were at 73% capacity. The Pirates have much more room to raise ticket prices too. The Cards have realized much of their potential while the Pirates have more untapped potential.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 925
Location: Rochester, New York
mjdouble wrote:
It is true teams don't make as much on concessions as people think. I believe the team gets money for leasing the space to concessionaires and they get a small cut of the profits. When Deadspin leaked the Pirates financials a few years ago it showed the Pirates were making about $5 per each fan in concession revenue and that lines up with the other 4 teams that had their financials leaked. Signage and naming rights was more lucrative than concessions. As for potential in ticket sales, sure, the Cardinals have a bit higher of a ceiling. Their park does hold an additional 8000 fans. But the Pirates have more potential for growth. The Cards played at 95% capacity. The Pirates were at 73% capacity. The Pirates have much more room to raise ticket prices too. The Cards have realized much of their potential while the Pirates have more untapped potential.


The Pirates will likely never play at 95% capacity. By my calculations they hit 80% once (2001), 70% once (2013), and have been between 60% and 70% only 4 times in their history (2011, 2012, 1960, 2006) (I used Baseball Reference attendance figures and the seemingly most accurate capacity figures I could find).

Point is, we don't have the fanbase to fill 90%+ of the stadium. St. Louis scooped up a lot of the west when they were the team furthest west. Pittsburgh competes within its own state plus there are two teams in Ohio.

If they ever pull the stadium revenue that St Louis does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 221
On a different Pirate blog ,the same approximate argument was happening. This isn't about having he ability to sign a Robbie Cano. Its about not watching the better first basemen and definitely the best fit of an outfielder (Byrd) go somewhere else because you cant afford 8 Mil a year. Now don't start with the whole he's not worth the money, because that's a bunch of crap and its not what NH said the reason was. He said it was because they were not prepared to move that quickly. (Isnt it his job to be prepared?) and if they were to pay that kind of money they would not be able to afford AJ Burnett. Just absolutely silly. You guys got all up in me when I started the "Nutting's a tight wad " thread. Well as the roster sits right now the payroll is approximately 20 million less than it was at the end of last year. AJ Burnett 16.5 mil...Gone...Garrett Jones 6.5 Mil...gone......Clint Barmes 5.5 Mil...Gone.. Karstens, Farnsworth, Buck, Morneau and what ever they were paying Byrd. When you do the math and subtract what other teams are paying you come to about 20 Million less than the end of last year. So I dont want to hear the bullshit about not being able to afford free agents.


And then there was this post by Grote:
Quote:
you just got a $25 million bonus from MLB
——and you sold 2000 more season tickets
——and you raised ticket prices
——and you set a team record for sellouts
——and you got 3 home playoff sellouts at those crazy ticket prices
——and you drew a quarter million more fans than last season
——and you thus far have refused to sign your supposed #1 pitcher at a $4 million DECREASE for him
——and your Team Salary thus far projects to be less than last season
——and $12 beers aren’t being lowered
——and $12 nachos are now present
——and YOUR TEAM STILL GETS WELFARE PAYMENTS FROM THE LEAGUE

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/201 ... z2m9rMUSIk
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook


I wish the Nuttings would just stand at the podium during Pirate fest and say "This is a business and we are about to have our best year ever!




The Pirates finish 82-80 and the Nuttings count their money after a great 2014!

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Offline
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:47 pm
Posts: 333
JollyRoger wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
It is true teams don't make as much on concessions as people think. I believe the team gets money for leasing the space to concessionaires and they get a small cut of the profits. When Deadspin leaked the Pirates financials a few years ago it showed the Pirates were making about $5 per each fan in concession revenue and that lines up with the other 4 teams that had their financials leaked. Signage and naming rights was more lucrative than concessions. As for potential in ticket sales, sure, the Cardinals have a bit higher of a ceiling. Their park does hold an additional 8000 fans. But the Pirates have more potential for growth. The Cards played at 95% capacity. The Pirates were at 73% capacity. The Pirates have much more room to raise ticket prices too. The Cards have realized much of their potential while the Pirates have more untapped potential.


The Pirates will likely never play at 95% capacity. By my calculations they hit 80% once (2001), 70% once (2013), and have been between 60% and 70% only 4 times in their history (2011, 2012, 1960, 2006) (I used Baseball Reference attendance figures and the seemingly most accurate capacity figures I could find).

Point is, we don't have the fanbase to fill 90%+ of the stadium. St. Louis scooped up a lot of the west when they were the team furthest west. Pittsburgh competes within its own state plus there are two teams in Ohio.

If they ever pull the stadium revenue that St Louis does, I'll be pleasantly surprised.


I agree the Pirates won't get to 95% capacity. But they should be able to regularly break 80%. And they should be able charge ticket prices more in line with the league average. And both those things would create a lot more revenue for them. The Cards don't fill their stadium due the expansiveness of their fanbase. Not many people are making 4 hours drives to go to baseball games. They fill their stadium because St. Louis is a baseball town. They got that way by putting a good product on the field year after year. The Pirates went 20 straight years without a winning season. The last time the Cards had even 3 straight losing seasons was in the 1950's. During the 70's the attendance for the Cards and Pirates mirrored each other. The populations of the two cities was close to the same size in the 70's. They both declined in population at about the same rates and are still very close to each other in population.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1081
If the concessions situation is true then someone is dumb. All the beer companies are getting 1000% mark-up per beer. Bob Nutting should expand on PNC and build a micro brewery.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 221
Dr. Phibes wrote:
If the concessions situation is true then someone is dumb. All the beer companies are getting 1000% mark-up per beer. Bob Nutting should expand on PNC and build a micro brewery.


Ehhh.....All owned by guess who

Quote:
Beers of the Burgh
Located in our Smorgasburgh this pub style location offers a variety of craft and micro brews on tap as well as some local beverages.


Quote:
Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club:
Any ticketed guest is welcome to enjoy appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, desserts, kids meals, and daily food specials. A full service bar is also available with mixed drinks, wine, and a variety of beer. (Mixed drinks & wine must stay in Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club area).


Quote:
Allegheny City Beverage:
Your favorite local and domestic Brews. Portable locations in selected areas in the ballpark!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1081
The Rotten One wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:
If the concessions situation is true then someone is dumb. All the beer companies are getting 1000% mark-up per beer. Bob Nutting should expand on PNC and build a micro brewery.


Ehhh.....All owned by guess who

Quote:
Beers of the Burgh
Located in our Smorgasburgh this pub style location offers a variety of craft and micro brews on tap as well as some local beverages.


Quote:
Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club:
Any ticketed guest is welcome to enjoy appetizers, sandwiches, entrees, desserts, kids meals, and daily food specials. A full service bar is also available with mixed drinks, wine, and a variety of beer. (Mixed drinks & wine must stay in Rivertowne Brewing Hall of Fame Club area).


Quote:
Allegheny City Beverage:
Your favorite local and domestic Brews. Portable locations in selected areas in the ballpark!


Not Bob Nutting....

Beers of the Burgh
Once again the king of draft selections nestled by section 101.

$9.00 draft | $7.00 bottle
Church Brew Works Celestial Gold, Church Brew Works Pious Monk Dunkel, Harpoon IPA, Magic Hat No 9, Penn Allegheny Pale Ale, Penn Pilsner, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Victory Hop Devil


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
The Rotten One wrote:
On a different Pirate blog ,the same approximate argument was happening. This isn't about having he ability to sign a Robbie Cano. Its about not watching the better first basemen and definitely the best fit of an outfielder (Byrd) go somewhere else because you cant afford 8 Mil a year. Now don't start with the whole he's not worth the money, because that's a bunch of crap and its not what NH said the reason was. He said it was because they were not prepared to move that quickly. (Isnt it his job to be prepared?) and if they were to pay that kind of money they would not be able to afford AJ Burnett. Just absolutely silly. You guys got all up in me when I started the "Nutting's a tight wad " thread. Well as the roster sits right now the payroll is approximately 20 million less than it was at the end of last year. AJ Burnett 16.5 mil...Gone...Garrett Jones 6.5 Mil...gone......Clint Barmes 5.5 Mil...Gone.. Karstens, Farnsworth, Buck, Morneau and what ever they were paying Byrd. When you do the math and subtract what other teams are paying you come to about 20 Million less than the end of last year. So I dont want to hear the bullshit about not being able to afford free agents.


And then there was this post by Grote:
Quote:
you just got a $25 million bonus from MLB
——and you sold 2000 more season tickets
——and you raised ticket prices
——and you set a team record for sellouts
——and you got 3 home playoff sellouts at those crazy ticket prices
——and you drew a quarter million more fans than last season
——and you thus far have refused to sign your supposed #1 pitcher at a $4 million DECREASE for him
——and your Team Salary thus far projects to be less than last season
——and $12 beers aren’t being lowered
——and $12 nachos are now present
——and YOUR TEAM STILL GETS WELFARE PAYMENTS FROM THE LEAGUE

Read more: http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/201 ... z2m9rMUSIk
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook


I wish the Nuttings would just stand at the podium during Pirate fest and say "This is a business and we are about to have our best year ever!




The Pirates finish 82-80 and the Nuttings count their money after a great 2014!

Image


You rEmind me of Someone...can'T quite Remember the nAme...maybe someone else has a Guess whO i'm thinking of.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Cardinals Expected To Sign Peralta
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
BBF wrote:
You rEmind me of Someone...can'T quite Remember the nAme...maybe someone else has a Guess whO i'm thinking of.


Bullshit

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], RTJR, sisyphus and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits