Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Outfield
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:28 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Findlay, Ohio; Columbus, Ohio
Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

_________________
Roberto Clemente and I have a combined 3,000 career hits.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2363
Location: Tejas
Probably not. Most teams have 2 really good athletes at most. Washington gets dinged by Werth. Miami by Stanton. Oakland by Reddick. TB by Myers. Maybe the LA teams depending on what you think about Kemp's bounce back ability and Hamilton's current athletic abilities.

Other than that though you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 3 OF who possess 70 or above speed.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3559
Location: Economy, PA
You saw it a lot last year - the disgust on hitters faces after they thought they had a hit only to see Cutch or Marte run it down. Which of course made me want another gazelle in right even more.

I think you'll see teams valuing defense more and more, especially in the NL.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
Ralphie wrote:
I think you'll see teams valuing defense more and more, especially in the NL.


I recall reading a quotation from Billy Beane 6 or 7 years ago, some time after "Moneyball" was published, where he opined that "defense is the new market inefficiency."

I have searched for this comment time and again, and cannot find a source, but I read it and remember it well, since I thought - at the time - that he was joking.

He was not, and Huntington saw the value of good defense as well. It is vastly cheaper to get a great defensive player than even a mediocre hitter, and the benefit is such that a great defensive player who hits a little (such as Barmes, for example, or Martin) has more value than a good hitter who stinks at fielding (hello, Michael Young or Adam Dunn).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
I acknowledge stealing this from a contributor at "Bucs Dugout." So I guess that means I am not stealing it, but in any event, the comment:

Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water

A Marte-Cutch-Polanco outfield would cover the other third.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7233
Bucfan wrote:
I acknowledge stealing this from a contributor at "Bucs Dugout." So I guess that means I am not stealing it, but in any event, the comment:

Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water

A Marte-Cutch-Polanco outfield would cover the other third.


A girlfriend of mine from High School was a Braves fan and had an Andruw Jones shirt that said the same thing insert Andruw Jones for McCutchen, Marte, and Polanco.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4950
Location: Washington, DC
Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
I think you'll see teams valuing defense more and more, especially in the NL.


I recall reading a quotation from Billy Beane 6 or 7 years ago, some time after "Moneyball" was published, where he opined that "defense is the new market inefficiency."

I have searched for this comment time and again, and cannot find a source, but I read it and remember it well, since I thought - at the time - that he was joking.

He was not, and Huntington saw the value of good defense as well. It is vastly cheaper to get a great defensive player than even a mediocre hitter, and the benefit is such that a great defensive player who hits a little (such as Barmes, for example, or Martin) has more value than a good hitter who stinks at fielding (hello, Michael Young or Adam Dunn).


I'd really like to see the Pirates pick up a slick-fielding shortstop for 2014 for spot play and as a late-innings defensive replacement for Jordy. I don't know if Barmes is that guy, but with the Pirates' pitching staff, such a guy would be worth more to the Pirates than just about any other team.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5041
Location: Pittsburgh
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

Not a chance. The question will be whether there has ever been a better defensive outfield in the history of baseball, assuming that Polanco lives up to his scouting reports.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1376
Location: Eastern Shore
sisyphus wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

Not a chance. The question will be whether there has ever been a better defensive outfield in the history of baseball, assuming that Polanco lives up to his scouting reports.

Interesting idea: what is considered the best defensive outfield in history?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 883
Location: Rochester, New York
J_C_Steel wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
I think you'll see teams valuing defense more and more, especially in the NL.


I recall reading a quotation from Billy Beane 6 or 7 years ago, some time after "Moneyball" was published, where he opined that "defense is the new market inefficiency."

I have searched for this comment time and again, and cannot find a source, but I read it and remember it well, since I thought - at the time - that he was joking.

He was not, and Huntington saw the value of good defense as well. It is vastly cheaper to get a great defensive player than even a mediocre hitter, and the benefit is such that a great defensive player who hits a little (such as Barmes, for example, or Martin) has more value than a good hitter who stinks at fielding (hello, Michael Young or Adam Dunn).


I'd really like to see the Pirates pick up a slick-fielding shortstop for 2014 for spot play and as a late-innings defensive replacement for Jordy. I don't know if Barmes is that guy, but with the Pirates' pitching staff, such a guy would be worth more to the Pirates than just about any other team.


It looks like Barmes may be the only affordable option who has a decent glove. I think we're going to see a lot of Barmes and Mercer until the (assumed) Hanson call-up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10560
val wrote:
Interesting idea: what is considered the best defensive outfield in history?

This one?

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5041
Location: Pittsburgh
val wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

Not a chance. The question will be whether there has ever been a better defensive outfield in the history of baseball, assuming that Polanco lives up to his scouting reports.

Interesting idea: what is considered the best defensive outfield in history?

LOL, funny you should mention that, I logged in today with the intent of starting a thread on that subject.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5481
val wrote:
Interesting idea: what is considered the best defensive outfield in history?


Not sure.

Although it's pretty clear what the Best Infield Ever was:

Image

:roll: :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], PirateParrot and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits