Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outfield
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm 

Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

Post subject: Re: Outfield
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:17 pm 

Probably not. Most teams have 2 really good athletes at most. Washington gets dinged by Werth. Miami by Stanton. Oakland by Reddick. TB by Myers. Maybe the LA teams depending on what you think about Kemp's bounce back ability and Hamilton's current athletic abilities.

Other than that though you'd be hard pressed to find a team with 3 OF who possess 70 or above speed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 pm 

You saw it a lot last year - the disgust on hitters faces after they thought they had a hit only to see Cutch or Marte run it down. Which of course made me want another gazelle in right even more.

I think you'll see teams valuing defense more and more, especially in the NL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:39 am 

Ralphie wrote:

I recall reading a quotation from Billy Beane 6 or 7 years ago, some time after "Moneyball" was published, where he opined that "defense is the new market inefficiency."

I have searched for this comment time and again, and cannot find a source, but I read it and remember it well, since I thought - at the time - that he was joking.

He was not, and Huntington saw the value of good defense as well. It is vastly cheaper to get a great defensive player than even a mediocre hitter, and the benefit is such that a great defensive player who hits a little (such as Barmes, for example, or Martin) has more value than a good hitter who stinks at fielding (hello, Michael Young or Adam Dunn).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:10 am 

I acknowledge stealing this from a contributor at "Bucs Dugout." So I guess that means I am not stealing it, but in any event, the comment:

Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water

A Marte-Cutch-Polanco outfield would cover the other third.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 am 

Bucfan wrote:
I acknowledge stealing this from a contributor at "Bucs Dugout." So I guess that means I am not stealing it, but in any event, the comment:

Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water

A Marte-Cutch-Polanco outfield would cover the other third.

A girlfriend of mine from High School was a Braves fan and had an Andruw Jones shirt that said the same thing insert Andruw Jones for McCutchen, Marte, and Polanco.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:24 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I recall reading a quotation from Billy Beane 6 or 7 years ago, some time after "Moneyball" was published, where he opined that "defense is the new market inefficiency."

I have searched for this comment time and again, and cannot find a source, but I read it and remember it well, since I thought - at the time - that he was joking.

He was not, and Huntington saw the value of good defense as well. It is vastly cheaper to get a great defensive player than even a mediocre hitter, and the benefit is such that a great defensive player who hits a little (such as Barmes, for example, or Martin) has more value than a good hitter who stinks at fielding (hello, Michael Young or Adam Dunn).

I'd really like to see the Pirates pick up a slick-fielding shortstop for 2014 for spot play and as a late-innings defensive replacement for Jordy. I don't know if Barmes is that guy, but with the Pirates' pitching staff, such a guy would be worth more to the Pirates than just about any other team.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 am 

TheTimeIsNow wrote:
Will anybody have a more athletic group of three starting outfielders as the Pirates, once Polanco is called up? I was just reading an article about it and it got me really excited to watch them play. We will basically have three centerfielders. Plus, defensively, McCutchen may be the worst of the three. It is going to be a blast watching the faces of hitters who thought they had a sure hit, only to be run down by one of the three gazelles in our outfield.

Not a chance. The question will be whether there has ever been a better defensive outfield in the history of baseball, assuming that Polanco lives up to his scouting reports.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 am 

sisyphus wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:

Not a chance. The question will be whether there has ever been a better defensive outfield in the history of baseball, assuming that Polanco lives up to his scouting reports.

Interesting idea: what is considered the best defensive outfield in history?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

I'd really like to see the Pirates pick up a slick-fielding shortstop for 2014 for spot play and as a late-innings defensive replacement for Jordy. I don't know if Barmes is that guy, but with the Pirates' pitching staff, such a guy would be worth more to the Pirates than just about any other team.

It looks like Barmes may be the only affordable option who has a decent glove. I think we're going to see a lot of Barmes and Mercer until the (assumed) Hanson call-up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:50 pm 

val wrote:

This one?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:11 pm 

val wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
TheTimeIsNow wrote:

LOL, funny you should mention that, I logged in today with the intent of starting a thread on that subject.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:48 pm 

val wrote:

Not sure.

Although it's pretty clear what the Best Infield Ever was:

:roll: :D