Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pedro a Pirate?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:14 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Fair enough. But then why is it blasphemous to come to Pittsburgh in order to continue a baseball career when the contenders wont make you an offer? Im sure he, along with any competitive player, would prefer that. But given what we're gonna pay the guy, to say hes coming to Pittsburgh just for the money is sort of counterintuitive, isnt it? Being a mercenary and playing at PNC dont really go hand in hand.

But who's said the top teams won't make him an offer? Where has it been written that nobody wants to give Pedro a chance?

Look, throw away all my argument if you want. I don't care. At the end of Jump Street, I see this as a play by Pedro and his agent to try and drum up some interest in his client. The penny ante version of the high stakes poker played by Tex and his agent a month or so ago. Guys take some crazy deals to make one last play for the jewelry. I just don't see Pedro being content to play den mother to Pirates rug rat pitching staff.

There's something more to the story, I feel it in my bones.

Well if he gets another offer he'll take it. What are you saying, the Bucs are gonna outbid some contender? Thats nuts. He comes here only as a last resort. If we outbid some contender and he came here because we offered more dough, that would make him a mercenary. But no way that happens, we all know this.

Post subject: Re: Pedro a Pirate?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:26 pm 

One more thing. To compare this to the Teixeira situation is ridiculous. I doubt many teams around the league are going to be influenced or motivated by any low ball, high incentive offer the Pirates make.