Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro a Pirate?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 pm 

Apparently the Pirates have some interest in Pedro Martinez...This would be a great signing for the Pirates he still has a little bit in the tank when healthy. The price tag may currently be a little bit high, however this team could use some identity and signing pedro would generate a lot of fan interest and he still could be a contributer to the team.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/p ... teres.html

Post subject: Re: Pedro a Pirate?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:16 pm 

I would love to see it. Im a huge fan of carnival sideshows.

Look, management has to understand that Pedro would spike revenues on the days he pitched. They have to determine the reasonable offer that would enable them to clear a profit based on the revenue spike they project. Thats the offer theyll make, and can only make once teams like the Mets disappear.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:26 pm 

Yup, it's been a long time since we had a good clubhouse cancer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm 

I still think he could help the team win games. He is a very smart pitcher he would be a good infulence on the younger pitchers maybe teach them a thing or 2.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I still think he could help the team win games. He is a very smart pitcher he would be a good infulence on the younger pitchers maybe teach them a thing or 2.

Like how to take two months off in the middle of the season and proper midget care.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:30 pm 

Or win 3 cy youngs, have an era under 2 and be considered one of the best pitchers of his time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:34 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Or win 3 cy youngs, have an era under 2 and be considered one of the best pitchers of his time.

His last Cy Young was in 2000.

And Barry Bonds is one of the best players of his generation, why aren't you on his stick?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 pm 

Kingston wrote:

Look, management has to understand that Pedro would spike revenues on the days he pitched. They have to determine the reasonable offer that would enable them to clear a profit based on the revenue spike they project. Thats the offer theyll make, and can only make once teams like the Mets disappear.

I highly doubt management is bringing him in for a sideshow to put butts in the Park...He's being brought in to add a right hander to the rotation

and if anything maybe Snell will learn something, I see them as similiar pitchers (atleast in Pedro's younger days)...Same size, velocity, style...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:38 am 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston wrote:

I highly doubt management is bringing him in for a sideshow to put butts in the Park...He's being brought in to add a right hander to the rotation

Yes, a right hander would be valuable. But if his name wasnt Pedro Martinez he wouldnt even be under consideration, assuming he even is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:26 am 

Look, all this would be great if Pedro was actually noted for being good with young players.

I've never read anything that would suggest he'd be willing to play the role of mentor to young pitchers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:55 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Look, all this would be great if Pedro was actually noted for being good with young players.

I've never read anything that would suggest he'd be willing to play the role of mentor to young pitchers.

I've never read anything that says he wasnt willing to play the role of mentor to young pitchers either, but that was what I was talking about...I'm talking Snell watching how someone who is similar in frame and velocity pitches and handles himself...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:17 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I've never read anything that says he wasnt willing to play the role of mentor to young pitchers either, but that was what I was talking about...I'm talking Snell watching how someone who is similar in frame and velocity pitches and handles himself...

Which can be done in the video room. The last thing a young Pirates team needs is a dude who's totally self absorbed like Pedro.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:27 pm 

People on this board are quick to say a player is selfish. Jeremy you also claim pedro alvarez as a selfish punk when there is nothing that says he is. Where is there evidence that pedro is a terrible teamate and self absorbed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm 

Ryann wrote:
People on this board are quick to say a player is selfish. Jeremy you also claim pedro alvarez as a selfish punk when there is nothing that says he is. Where is there evidence that pedro is a terrible teamate and self absorbed?

Do you follow baseball or is this just something you do to piss people like me off?

Pedro Martinez has a long history of being totally self absorbed. There are stories of him being pulled from games and leaving the stadium. Two years ago the Mets choke job dovetailed perfectly with Pedro's return from his annual trip to the DL.

I'm not sure how much evidence people need before they understand that certain people are shitbags and need to be avoided like the plague.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm 

Like a 20 year old showing up to a camp a little out of shape? Does that make Pedro Alvarez a "shitbag"? Or cause someone goes on the DL makes them a little shit bag?

He is a traditional baseball player he isnt afraid to work the inside of the plate. He might not be the greatest teamate ever but he gets along with teamates and the young guys could learn a thing or 2 about him. He hasnt had any huge blowups that make him get tagged as a shitbag. You need to know what you are talking about before going on rants about players.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:43 pm 

It' like Pinky's POV.

Martinez has a long history of putting Pedro first, Pedro second, and Pedro last. The idea that he's take a guy like Ian under his wing is so laughable I almost pissed myself when I read it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:42 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
It' like Pinky's POV.

Martinez has a long history of putting Pedro first, Pedro second, and Pedro last. The idea that he's take a guy like Ian under his wing is so laughable I almost pissed myself when I read it.

Who gives a f***? If the guy can pitch, let him pitch. The whole "clubhouse cancer" thing is totally overblown, if not irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:37 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:
It' like Pinky's POV.

Who gives a f***? If the guy can pitch, let him pitch. The whole "clubhouse cancer" thing is totally overblown, if not irrelevant.

Tell you what Wilton, go ask the Mets how "overblown" it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:41 pm 

Jeremy needs to get some facts in his head. There has never been any instances where he has been considered a clubhouse cancer. He is the same person who calls pedro alvarez a shitty little punk because he came to camp a little bit out of shape, and he calls for him being traded.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:49 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Jeremy needs to get some facts in his head. There has never been any instances where he has been considered a clubhouse cancer. He is the same person who calls pedro alvarez a shitty little punk because he came to camp a little bit out of shape, and he calls for him being traded.

Well in my opinion Martinez isn't going to be a cancer.Either he will be a success or he will look down on himself for them blaming it on others.
But and thats a big ol' but I do agree with Jeramy when he says Alvarez is a punk.He might not be shitty but like i've said many times i believe he has a superstar ego in a single A world.
Maybe when he puts up the numbers that Aramis did he can grow into his ego somewhat.
But the thing he is he needs to prove himself and showing up out of shape isn't proving much besides that he is a punk