Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fewer needs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 am 

A good article...but I'm not sure I agree with the "fewer needs" part... :?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/pirates-have-fewer-needs-more-money-to-spend-on-free-agents?ymd=20131028&content_id=63302214&vkey=news_pit

Having a solid player who can field the 1B and RF positions every day has been a major issue for the Bucs for a long time.

Starting pitching (although in much better shape) is always a concern IMO. A.J., Wandy, and Liriano are up there in years. Can all three maintain a solid, winning 2O14 season? Can Locke be the pitcher we saw in the first half of the 2013 season for the 2014 season?

The Pirates are in much better shape going forward and the future is bright...but, I myself, have many concerns about certain parts of the team which I've had for a long time.

Let's put it this way...if I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be feeling pretty darn good about the starting pitching moving forward. I don't have that same feeling about the Pirate starting pitching...not yet anyways...

And, getting on base and driving in runs will always be a concern with me with this Pirate offense. That has to improve.

Post subject: Re: Fewer needs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm 

I think it's going to be tough for Locke to be anything other than a marginal back of the rotation starter unless he issues fewer walks. It's tough to overcome 4+ BB/9.