Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Discouraging news about Alvarez
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:28 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09017/942559-63.stm

I recall reading some projections that had Pedro seeing ABs in Pittsburgh by September. That always seemed highly unlikely; now it seems impossible.

The news about McCutcheon is all good, though.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Discouraging news about Alvarez
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:35 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09017/942559-63.stm

I recall reading some projections that had Pedro seeing ABs in Pittsburgh by September. That always seemed highly unlikely; now it seems impossible.

The news about McCutcheon is all good, though.

I never thought he wanted to play or sign with the Pirates.
I don't think its his knees i'm afraid he is just not gonna give it his all until we rule him as a bust then maybe another team will pick him up if he is lucky and he can make something of himself.
I don't see a great career as a Bucco for Alvarez and i thought he was a poor draft pick because of his attitude.I was glad to see us not just take another pitcher but a player with the attitude of Manny on a bad team doesn't mix well in my opinion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:28 am 

At this point, who *wants* to be drafted by the Pirates?

It's been a rocky honeymoon for Pedro and the Pirates, no doubt, but it's never a poor choice to draft the best player available. Or perhaps you approved of Bryan Bullington and Danny Moskos, Colin?

Scott Boras needs to tell his client that the surest and most lucrative way out of Pittsburgh is to get himself in shape, focus on getting himself to the major leagues as quickly as possible and to perform there to the best of his natural prowess.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:35 am 

It's been a rocky honeymoon for Pedro and the Pirates, no doubt, but it's never a poor choice to draft the best player available. Or perhaps you approved of Bryan Bullington and Danny Moskos, Colin?

Scott Boras needs to tell his client that the surest and most lucrative way out of Pittsburgh is to get himself in shape, focus on getting himself to the major leagues as quickly as possible and to perform there to the best of his natural prowess.

No no no don't get me wrong i like him as a player but i don't like the superstar attitude that he brings with him when he hasn't done anything besides be a high draft pick.I think they need to bring him momma into the picture and spank him a good one.He can't be sitting on the couch eating cookies crying about how his knee hurts and that he can't believe he was picked by the Pirates.Maybe it is a career killer to be picked by the Pirates but the best thing he could do is be the best player he can and either he could lead us to a future turnaround a couple years down the road or even get traded to a better team.The way he is going though is the way of Bullington(WORST PICK EVER) and other high draft picks that have failed cause they can't get over the fact that they got drafted by a bad team.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:40 am 

Colin21 wrote:
The way he is going though is the way of Bullington(WORST PICK EVER) and other high draft picks that have failed cause they can't get over the fact that they got drafted by a bad team.

Make no mistake: Bullington failed due to a lack of talent, or at least a level of talent nowhere near commensurate with his draft position. That's all the difference in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:12 am 

So true. As you infer, this goes for all our players as well. They want out? Get better to the point of where we can no longer afford you or have to trade you away for picks or prospects. We should not sell low on many players.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 am 

Please, spare me the bleeding heart routines.

I don't give a damn who you're drafted by, you're now being paid to play baseball. That makes you a professional. If you don't know what that word means, then you don't belong in pro baseball. Maybe Pedro should go back to keggers and coeds at Vanderbilt if he's going to show up to mini-camp a limp wristed tub of lard.

I don't like this kid AT ALL. The sooner we trade him the better.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:17 pm 

I think way too much is being made of all this. Very young man, grows up impoverished, realizes a lifes dream and becomes a millionaire. So he temporarily loses some focus and discipline, maybe does a little too much celebrating and not enough working out. This is far from a tragedy at this point. Hes barely begun his career and some have already written him off. Thats just silly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:10 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I think way too much is being made of all this. Very young man, grows up impoverished, realizes a lifes dream and becomes a millionaire. So he temporarily loses some focus and discipline, maybe does a little too much celebrating and not enough working out. This is far from a tragedy at this point. Hes barely begun his career and some have already written him off. Thats just silly.

Attitudes don't change and this kid has a really shitty one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:17 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Attitudes don't change and this kid has a really shitty one.

I agree the kid has shown alot of immaturity, but that can change once he realizes its in his own self interest. Lots of great players have had crummy attitudes, but ego and greed go a long way towards motivating a player to do what he needs to. And again, future of the franchise or not, hes just a kid. Plenty of room for growth as a man, not just a player.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:38 pm 

I'm sure management will get his act in gear so he comes into camp in alot better shape and ready to go...even if he starts in the low minors, he wont be there long...

If he fails here, there wont be many willing to take a chance on him...If he wants to make a better life for himself, he better come out playing ball and I'm sure once he's in an atmosphere away from family and friends and listening to coaches and training staff...

This probably wouldn't be a problem if he had signed and had a month of playing or if he would have played Winter ball...

He's overweight that's all...put him on a greco-roman wrestling workout schedule and he'll be 10 pounds lighter by Valentine's Day

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm 

He's NOT the future of the franchise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:47 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Well, thats settled. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:04 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Please do tell some more...I'm curious as to how he isnt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:29 pm 

Other than Jeremy, I don't think anyone's written him off. I certainly haven't.

He's off to an inauspicious start, though — which is a shame, cause FC and NH have more than just money invested in him.

Last edited by LtCol Kojak Slaphead on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:38 pm 

Other than Jeremy, I don't think anyone's written him off. I certainly haven't.

I could be wrong, tho it seemed to me the stardust had been removed with no small degree of finality from Colin's eyes as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:25 pm 

Colin writes off everything. He doesn't count. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:31 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

A kid with a bad attitude, poor work ethic, and a helicopter agent......he has "MASSIVE BUST" written across his forehead.

I say trade his rights now and save yourself the trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:53 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

A kid with a bad attitude, poor work ethic, and a helicopter agent......he has "MASSIVE BUST" written across his forehead.

I say trade his rights now and save yourself the trouble.

Work ethic can change with the proper coaching and people

Poor attitude doesnt matter, prime examples are Barry Bonds and Manny Ramirez...

His agent doesnt do anything on the field or practice field, Boras is an agent for some of the best in Baseball...

Massive Bust is a far fetched, at this point, he has yet to play a professional game...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:53 pm 

You dont get to be the best college player in the country without a high degree of talent and dedication. Coach Corbin at Vanderbilt thinks the world of him, not just as a player but also a "great teammate". Of course, hes laboring under the hardship of actually having coached him.

Hopefully you wont mind if most of us take more than 10 minutes to render judgement about the best player weve drafted in a decade or better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next