All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/pip ... y=news_pit

This calls to mind the discussion that took place in January of 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5598

Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:14 pm 

I could buy it. Pirates, Twins, and Astros are brought up pretty consistently when it comes to top systems.

Legit prospects at just about every level, lots of intriguing guys littered throughout who are pretty boom or bust. It'll be mostly bust but they have enough of them to get some Glasnow, Hanson, Polanco breakouts. Thinking guys like JaCoby Jones, Nick Buckner, Willy Garcia, Stetson Allie, and the many HS pitchers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
I could buy it. Pirates, Twins, and Astros are brought up pretty consistently when it comes to top systems.

Legit prospects at just about every level, lots of intriguing guys littered throughout who are pretty boom or bust. It'll be mostly bust but they have enough of them to get some Glasnow, Hanson, Polanco breakouts. Thinking guys like JaCoby Jones, Nick Buckner, Willy Garcia, Stetson Allie, and the many HS pitchers.

Joely Rodriguez is a sleeper...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 pm 

Yes, definitely Rodriguez as well. A lot of really intriguing pitchers. Lots of projection and a lot of guys who fit their system to a T as a sinkerballing type or a flamethrower.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 pm 

Polanco is a legitimate, top-flight hitting prospect. Hansen is a good hitting prospect due to his production last year and the 2nd half this year. Meadows and McGuire performed well in their first go-around with wooden bats.

Would be nice to have another hitter in the high-A, AA level to add to this group.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Would be nice to have another hitter in the high-A, AA level to add to this group.

That could very realistically be Josh Bell, who Callis predicts to be in the top 100 next year. He was kind of forgotten about because of the knee injury that wiped out his rookie year, bounced back nicely this year with a .806 OPS (13 HRs, 37 doubles).

Aside from the statline there look to be a lot of positive peripherals going forward, too. Next year in Bradenton should be his first full healthy season, as the knee injury was still lingering this year and he only started every other game for 2-3 months in WV, and early on there was a lot of concern about his swing mechanics which led to poor plate discipline, but it dramatically improved in the second half of the season (after striking out 25+ times in April/May, his BB:K ration in July and August were 9:13 and 14:13 ... thanks to PiratesProspects for posting this chart where I got the info).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

That could very realistically be Josh Bell, who Callis predicts to be in the top 100 next year. He was kind of forgotten about because of the knee injury that wiped out his rookie year, bounced back nicely this year with a .806 OPS (13 HRs, 37 doubles).

Aside from the statline there look to be a lot of positive peripherals going forward, too. Next year in Bradenton should be his first full healthy season, as the knee injury was still lingering this year and he only started every other game for 2-3 months in WV, and early on there was a lot of concern about his swing mechanics which led to poor plate discipline, but it dramatically improved in the second half of the season (after striking out 25+ times in April/May, his BB:K ration in July and August were 9:13 and 14:13 ... thanks to PiratesProspects for posting this chart where I got the info).

Hmm, I didn't realize he was walking that much. That's certainly an encouraging sign.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:05 pm 

I'm keeping my eye on the left-handed starting pitchers, which should be an area that the Pirates try to keep well-stocked given the dimensions of PNC Park. 2013 second-round pick Blake Taylor probably has the highest ceiling of any lefty down on the farm, as he's 18 years old with good size (6'3" 220 lbs.) and coming off a solid 21 innings in the rookie Gulf Coast League. It would be great to see him rise quickly and get to West Virginia next year.

Here are the other LHPs to keep an eye on (with their projected 2014 level in parentheses) : Kris Johnson (AAA), Joely Rodriguez (AA), Zack Dodson (AA), Cody Dickson (A+), Wei-Chung Wang (A-), Cesilio Pimentel (A-), and Mervin Del Rosario (A-).

So we're talking about eight guys, with the best of them just turning 18 years old. It sure would be nice if one of these guys could become a #2-type MLB starter, another one could become a solid back-of-the-rotation piece, and one could become a solid lefty in the 'pen. That's my hope.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am 

TheShark wrote:

Good point.

Stop making me look stupid. That's my job. Wait ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

can't wait to see these guys in spring training at Pirate City

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.