Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10533
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit/pip ... y=news_pit

This calls to mind the discussion that took place in January of 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5598


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2287
Location: Tejas
I could buy it. Pirates, Twins, and Astros are brought up pretty consistently when it comes to top systems.

Legit prospects at just about every level, lots of intriguing guys littered throughout who are pretty boom or bust. It'll be mostly bust but they have enough of them to get some Glasnow, Hanson, Polanco breakouts. Thinking guys like JaCoby Jones, Nick Buckner, Willy Garcia, Stetson Allie, and the many HS pitchers.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2357
StarlingArcher wrote:
I could buy it. Pirates, Twins, and Astros are brought up pretty consistently when it comes to top systems.

Legit prospects at just about every level, lots of intriguing guys littered throughout who are pretty boom or bust. It'll be mostly bust but they have enough of them to get some Glasnow, Hanson, Polanco breakouts. Thinking guys like JaCoby Jones, Nick Buckner, Willy Garcia, Stetson Allie, and the many HS pitchers.


Joely Rodriguez is a sleeper...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 2287
Location: Tejas
Yes, definitely Rodriguez as well. A lot of really intriguing pitchers. Lots of projection and a lot of guys who fit their system to a T as a sinkerballing type or a flamethrower.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10533
Polanco is a legitimate, top-flight hitting prospect. Hansen is a good hitting prospect due to his production last year and the 2nd half this year. Meadows and McGuire performed well in their first go-around with wooden bats.

Would be nice to have another hitter in the high-A, AA level to add to this group.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3088
Bucfan wrote:
Would be nice to have another hitter in the high-A, AA level to add to this group.


That could very realistically be Josh Bell, who Callis predicts to be in the top 100 next year. He was kind of forgotten about because of the knee injury that wiped out his rookie year, bounced back nicely this year with a .806 OPS (13 HRs, 37 doubles).

Aside from the statline there look to be a lot of positive peripherals going forward, too. Next year in Bradenton should be his first full healthy season, as the knee injury was still lingering this year and he only started every other game for 2-3 months in WV, and early on there was a lot of concern about his swing mechanics which led to poor plate discipline, but it dramatically improved in the second half of the season (after striking out 25+ times in April/May, his BB:K ration in July and August were 9:13 and 14:13 ... thanks to PiratesProspects for posting this chart where I got the info).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 846
Location: Rochester, New York
TheShark wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Would be nice to have another hitter in the high-A, AA level to add to this group.


That could very realistically be Josh Bell, who Callis predicts to be in the top 100 next year. He was kind of forgotten about because of the knee injury that wiped out his rookie year, bounced back nicely this year with a .806 OPS (13 HRs, 37 doubles).

Aside from the statline there look to be a lot of positive peripherals going forward, too. Next year in Bradenton should be his first full healthy season, as the knee injury was still lingering this year and he only started every other game for 2-3 months in WV, and early on there was a lot of concern about his swing mechanics which led to poor plate discipline, but it dramatically improved in the second half of the season (after striking out 25+ times in April/May, his BB:K ration in July and August were 9:13 and 14:13 ... thanks to PiratesProspects for posting this chart where I got the info).


Hmm, I didn't realize he was walking that much. That's certainly an encouraging sign.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4864
Location: Washington, DC
I'm keeping my eye on the left-handed starting pitchers, which should be an area that the Pirates try to keep well-stocked given the dimensions of PNC Park. 2013 second-round pick Blake Taylor probably has the highest ceiling of any lefty down on the farm, as he's 18 years old with good size (6'3" 220 lbs.) and coming off a solid 21 innings in the rookie Gulf Coast League. It would be great to see him rise quickly and get to West Virginia next year.

Here are the other LHPs to keep an eye on (with their projected 2014 level in parentheses) : Kris Johnson (AAA), Joely Rodriguez (AA), Zack Dodson (AA), Cody Dickson (A+), Wei-Chung Wang (A-), Cesilio Pimentel (A-), and Mervin Del Rosario (A-).

So we're talking about eight guys, with the best of them just turning 18 years old. It sure would be nice if one of these guys could become a #2-type MLB starter, another one could become a solid back-of-the-rotation piece, and one could become a solid lefty in the 'pen. That's my hope.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10533
TheShark wrote:
That could very realistically be Josh Bell, who Callis predicts to be in the top 100 next year. He was kind of forgotten about because of the knee injury that wiped out his rookie year, bounced back nicely this year with a .806 OPS (13 HRs, 37 doubles).

Good point.

Stop making me look stupid. That's my job. Wait ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates' minor league system best in MLB? Mayo thinks so
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 851
Location: Bradenton, FL.
can't wait to see these guys in spring training at Pirate City

_________________
LetsGoMarauders - Website
LetsGoMarauders - Twitter
GCL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], buccosfan77, JollyRoger and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits