Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McClendon Tigers Manager? Mariners Manager?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:19 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wallach-in ... --mlb.html

Quote:
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski confirmed Saturday that Wallach and Lloyd McClendon have both interviewed for the job. McClendon is Detroit's hitting coach.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... h_l_1.html

Quote:
"All I can tell you is I interviewed for the job," McClendon said after the Tigers interview. "The process went well and I'm just waiting for the process to end."

McClendon was the first candidate to interview with the Tigers, who also interviewed Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach on Friday.

McClendon interviewed with the Mariners following the 2010 season, but the Mariners went with Eric Wedge instead. Wedge told the Mariners during the last week of the 2013 season that he would not return to manage the team in 2014.

McClendon managed the Pittsburgh Pirates from 2001 to 2005.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/arti ... y=news_det

Quote:
Leyland has said more than once over the years that he'd like to see McClendon get another chance to manage somewhere, and Leyland said it again on a local radio station Monday to put in a good word for McClendon and bench coach Gene Lamont. When contacted Monday, Lamont made it clear he'd like to manage again, but sounded less than confident he'd get a chance in this case.

If and when the Tigers look in-house at candidates to fill the job, the 54-year-old McClendon is expected to be the strongest candidate, combining previous managerial experience, hands-on work with the current roster and a relatively young age (younger than Lamont or third-base coach Tom Brookens).

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: McClendon Tigers Manager? Mariners Manager?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:16 pm 

I'd love to see it. McClendon was easily my favorite post-Leyland manager (not exactly saying much considering Tracy, Russell and the first two years of Hurdle, but still). He certainly wasn't immune to tactical decisions I'll always complain about that no manager is immune to like over-managing and thinking Abraham Nunez was God's gift to pinch-hitting but I didn't have many major qualms with him as manager. I'd love to see him get another shot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:30 pm 

McClendon was pretty good. Especially when compared to Lamont, Russell, and Tracy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

Looks official -- McClendon will manage the Mariners next season.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24192531/mariners-to-name-lloyd-mcclendon-new-manager

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:39 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Remind them to tie down first base very tightly, though.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm 

McClendon deserves better than the M's mess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:

I think the M's have a decent situation. Could have a stellar rotation next year. A true ace in King Felix, Iwakuma is a solid number 2, and Taijuan Walker is a super pitching prospect that most feel is better than Taillon. I think they legitimately could win the AL West.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 pm 

mjdouble wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

I think the M's have a decent situation. Could have a stellar rotation next year. A true ace in King Felix, Iwakuma is a solid number 2, and Taijuan Walker is a super pitching prospect that most feel is better than Taillon. I think they legitimately could win the AL West.

Man, you must be an optimist. :D

Talk to any M's fan and they're beyond resigned.

Seattle's bats are abysmal. Outside of Kyle Seager, Raul Ibanez or Justin Smoak was their best hitter last year and they probably sported an OPS around .750 at best.

Think of their lineup as the 2010 Pirates, minus the potential (I will admit that Nick Franklin and Brad Miller intrigue, but the M's have an unfortunate, albeit recent, history of calling up guys too soon to see them fail at the ML level for some time now).

Worst of all, their FO is Littlefieldian. In the last 20 years they've traded away Derek Lowe, Jose Cruz Jr., Big Papi, Shin-soo Choo, Adam Jones and plenty of other standouts for a slew of veteran 'win now' guys who've underperformed. Tack on the myriad of failed FA acquisitions (Jeff Cirillo, Rich Aurillia, Eddie Guardado, Jose Silva...) and they rival the post-Bonds/Pre-Hurdle Pirates in terms of ineptitude.

If McClendon can improve their hitting they have a chance to compete for 80 wins, but outside of that (or a sale of the team) they're in for a long, slow rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:36 am 
 WWW  Profile

NSMaster56 wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Seattle's bats are abysmal. Outside of Kyle Seager, Raul Ibanez or Justin Smoak was their best hitter last year and they probably sported an OPS around .750 at best.

Think of their lineup as the 2010 Pirates, minus the potential (I will admit that Nick Franklin and Brad Miller intrigue, but the M's have an unfortunate, albeit recent, history of calling up guys too soon to see them fail at the ML level for some time now).

Worst of all, their FO is Littlefieldian. In the last 20 years they've traded away Derek Lowe, Jose Cruz Jr., Big Papi, Shin-soo Choo, Adam Jones and plenty of other standouts for a slew of veteran 'win now' guys who've underperformed. Tack on the myriad of failed FA acquisitions (Jeff Cirillo, Rich Aurillia, Eddie Guardado, Jose Silva...) and they rival the post-Bonds/Pre-Hurdle Pirates in terms of ineptitude.

If McClendon can improve their hitting they have a chance to compete for 80 wins, but outside of that (or a sale of the team) they're in for a long, slow rebuild.

Their lineup is bad. But few teams have 3 frontline starters. And the insiders seem to think Jacoby Ellsbury is landing there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
mjdouble wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

dont forget their worst FA pick up, Chone Figgins, they gave him alot of money to stink..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:32 pm 

batterup wrote:
dont forget their worst FA pick up, Chone Figgins, they gave him alot of money to stink..

Well, I DID until you mentioned it. So, erm... thanks?! *hangs head* :D :lol:

Seriously, the M's are horrible.

They looked poised to be a potential turnaround back in 2010, but they've mismanaged nearly all their assets and screwed up practical all processes.

McClendon had to bite at an opportunity to coach, but man... talk about an unfortunate second chance.