Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Should the Pirates trade Frankie?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am 
 WWW  Profile

ZelieMike wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Fair enough, but Burnett outside of 2 years in New York was well above average throughout his career. Liriano is the opposite - he's been terrible outside of two great years.

I see your point but I also see the point that he might be a very viable trade candidate if some team wanted to throw a ton of good prospects the Pirates' way. I just don't see the potential return he'd get worth trading him for.

I can buy that, but my selling price would be very, very high. Wil Myers high. No mid-level prospects need apply.

ZM

Oh, certainly. I wouldn't trade him just to do it. The return would have to make me trade him.

Post subject: Re: Should the Pirates trade Frankie?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:40 am 
 WWW  Profile

mjdouble wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
I don't think they'll get a major league player for Liriano. The deal is too short.

I think if you get a deal that can help you for multiple years, instead of one year of Liriano, you do it.

He won't be around for their main window, they need to maximize value for him. If that comes in the form of a team giving you a really generous offer, take it. If not, then sure, let him pitch this year and see what happens.

Next year's not a one-time shot, they still have a ton of arms in the minors they need to make room for and figure out what they have. Any guy that isn't a piece of your next 5 years needs to be on the table. That's just the reality of a small market team, unfortunately.

I think when you are close you don't take steps back. You go for it. You don't subtract from a 94 win team for help down the road. You have to be cautious and bit frugal as a small market team but you also should have a winner's mentality. You certainly keep your ear open for offers that could immediately improve the club and perhaps you may need to move a player to reallocate dollars (like Hanrahan) but you don't go looking to move a guy just because his value is high. What kind of message does that send to players? Why would a free agent choose to come play for an organization that would dump them for prospects when they are on the precipice of great things?

Get a no-trade clause. If you can't get one, then you're a reclamation type and have nowhere else to go anyway.