Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kershaw Quote...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:20 am 

"If you don't win, what's the point?" Kershaw said. "It doesn't really matter. All this stuff."

Cards win...Dodgers lose. Cards advancing to the WS.

Hmmm....I guess all the stats on the world don't matter (in a way...a big way IMO).

Winning is all that matters...anyway you can do it.

It appears the Cards winning places the Pirates on an even higher level than before and that's fine with me.

Here's to the Cards winning the 2013 WS and here's to the Bucs winning the 2014 WS!!! GO BUCS!!!!

Post subject: Re: Kershaw Quote...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:19 pm 

That's why I'm happy about it, BD. The Cards are National League Champions, and our Buccos came a dropped fly ball away from beating them 13 out of 24 times this year. Makes them a pretty good team.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:16 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
"If you don't win, what's the point?" Kershaw said. "It doesn't really matter. All this stuff."

Cards win...Dodgers lose. Cards advancing to the WS.

Hmmm....I guess all the stats on the world don't matter (in a way...a big way IMO).

Winning is all that matters...anyway you can do it.

It appears the Cards winning places the Pirates on an even higher level than before and that's fine with me.

Here's to the Cards winning the 2013 WS and here's to the Bucs winning the 2014 WS!!! GO BUCS!!!!

I know you're right about the general view that winning a any cost is all that counts. I'm just sorry we have degenerated to such a Machiavellian attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:42 pm 

One of the definitions of "Machiavellian" is:

characterized by subtle or unscrupulous cunning, deception, expediency, or dishonesty: He resorted to Machiavellian tactics in order to get ahead.

I don't think that was what Kershaw meant. I surely wouldn't use the word "Machiavellian" to describe how I feel about winning in any sport or endeavor!

Maybe saying "winning is all that matters...any way you can do it" was a poor choice of words. Winning (fair and square) is all that really matters! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Did I just hear Kershaw turned down a $300 million contract? A $300 million contract for someone that plays once every five days?!?!

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:18 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Did I just hear Kershaw turned down a $300 million contract? A $300 million contract for someone that plays once every five days?!?!

Unfreakingreal if that's true.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:23 am 

I don't blame him. Best pitcher in the game, lefthander to boot, new TV deal coming in, and a LOT of stupid teams who will give pitchers with some wear on the tires big, long contracts.

Why not test the market if that's your starting point for negotiations? Especially if Cano is pushing for something similar. Kershaw's a far better value than a 30-year old 2B.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 pm 

After A-Rod/Pujols, I don't see why any team would be dishing out absurd money to any player. It can be the best player ever, you're still better off not investing that much in one player. It will never pay off. Cano is a jerk for even demanding that, after the Yankees banded together with a horrible injury-plagued season and nearly made the playoffs, he's going to tell them he wants 300 mill to stay? Ugh. If I were NY I'd show him the door.

I was thinking the same thing about Pirates/Cards. Like it was disappointing to get KO'd by them, but the perspective on that is, the Cards are maybe the best team in baseball. I knew they'd make quick work of the Dodgers.

I was playing a game of the Show earlier against the Braves, and Paul Maholm was starting for them. And that got me thinking...a few years ago...Paul Maholm was essentially the ace of the Pirates staff and the only pitcher worth talking about. Paul Maholm. A guy who isn't terrible, yet isn't much more than average either. He would be like a number 5 starter on this year's Pirates. This team got WAY better. They're a very good team right now and set up for a great future run the next five years.