Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abreu choice down to three
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm 

Pirates not one of them. Astros, Red Sox and White Sox.

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/10/jose-abreu-narrows-his-list-to-three-american-league-teams.html

Post subject: Re: Abreu choice down to three
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'd want to play in Fenway as well if I were a RH slugger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:59 pm 

Was a question about him in Keith Law's chat today.

Specifically said that Jim Bowden's numbers were (as always) nowhere close (70 hit, 70 power) and that he'd put him a level below Puig and Cespedes.

There was also an article up yesterday saying teams believed he'd get 70M. Also mentioned that there was a big divide on him with minimal middle ground.

Interesting to see that mix of teams. You have a savvy front office (Astros), a terrible front office (White Sox), and then a front office in the very early stages (Red Sox). Not a group of teams where you can say there's a profile he clearly fits. Seems like big market is the only option.

Also interesting that he's looking only American League. I wondered if they might out-bid the NL teams since his defense at 1B is so bad. They don't have to worry about his negative defense hurting them/declining. Starting to think we had no chance even if we liked him (I have no idea if they did).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:08 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I'd want to play in Fenway as well if I were a RH slugger.

Or Houston with the Crawford Boxes.

Hell, US Cellular is one of the more RH friendly parks in baseball too.

Bet he'd have looked at Cincy, Colorado, and Philly if he considered NL teams.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:32 pm 

He's been repressed in Cuba all his life! Someone said 70 Million dollars. He likely didn't hear anything after that. He's coming to America where immigrants and everyone is rich and free. A free man with 70 million dollars probably doesn't give 2 shits where he plays.

just sayin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm 

White Sox???

Whatever.

StarlingArcher wrote:
Seems like big market is the only option.

Also interesting that he's looking only American League. I wondered if they might out-bid the NL teams since his defense at 1B is so bad. They don't have to worry about his negative defense hurting them/declining. Starting

Excellent points.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:59 pm 

All AL teams. Says alot about his glove. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
He's been repressed in Cuba all his life! Someone said 70 Million dollars. He likely didn't hear anything after that. He's coming to America where immigrants and everyone is rich and free. A free man with 70 million dollars probably doesn't give 2 shits where he plays.

just sayin

again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:30 am 

6 years, 68M with Chicago (AL). They just can't help themselves when it comes to awful contracts.

One of the worst systems in the game, zero major league talent aside from Sale (who they'll likely hold onto for too long), and they're still putting themselves underneath terrible long-term deals. You just wish they were in the NL at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:54 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
6 years, 68M with Chicago (AL). They just can't help themselves when it comes to awful contracts.

One of the worst systems in the game, zero major league talent aside from Sale (who they'll likely hold onto for too long), and they're still putting themselves underneath terrible long-term deals. You just wish they were in the NL at this point.

The contract is a little long, but it may not be an "awful" deal. We'll have to see how he hits. It is more than what I would've wanted to see the Pirates spend on him.

If Abreu puts up a .285/.335/.500 line for a few years, he'll more than earn his $11.1M annual salary. We shall see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am 

Per Olney, the Astros bid 55M and the Red Sox bid 40M.

The reported "divide" may have been kind phrasing. Sounds like most teams weren't anywhere close to enamored with him if those were his 3 best offers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:09 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Per Olney, the Astros bid 55M and the Red Sox bid 40M.

The reported "divide" may have been kind phrasing. Sounds like most teams weren't anywhere close to enamored with him if those were his 3 best offers.

All it takes is one team. Kudos to him and his agent for scoring a huge deal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14 am 

Yup, anytime there's a blind bidding war you're guaranteed to find a sucker.

If he equals Victor Martinez's 2012 year, that's about equal value to his current contract as a DH. And that's assuming the 5 WAR metric, not the 3 WAR that had been used before the TV deal.

Won't do that for 6 years.

The fact that the Red Sox and Astros bid so low makes it easier to swallow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm 

Well you can project, but you don't know it's a bad deal until you see how he plays. I would assume that it's especially hard to judge Cubans.

Speaking of Martinez, he hit a chopper over the mound the other day in a key situation with men on base. It was a ball that many players could have beaten out, or at least made close. Yet he made no attempt to hustle down the line.

And did you see Cabrera rounding third last night? It sure didn't look like he was going all-out. And he was out by a mile.

Makes me appreciate our guys even more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:20 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Well you can project, but you don't know it's a bad deal until you see how he plays. I would assume that it's especially hard to judge Cubans.

Speaking of Martinez, he hit a chopper over the mound the other day in a key situation with men on base. It was a ball that many players could have beaten out, or at least made close. Yet he made no attempt to hustle down the line.

And did you see Cabrera rounding third last night? It sure didn't look like he was going all-out. And he was out by a mile.

Miggy can barely walk, much less run. I fear he's risking a more serious injury by playing now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:13 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
If Abreu puts up a .285/.335/.500 line for a few years, he'll more than earn his $11.1M annual salary. We shall see.

If he plays DH, and/or is bad defensively, then he will be a 2.0 to 2.5 WAR player with that hitting.

That is close to the salary, but not a bargain like Polanco, etc.

If he hits .260/.285/.440, and plays bad defense, and does not run well, he is less than 2.0 WAR at 1st base and the contract is a dud.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:42 pm 

Plus you're looking at a guy who needs to put that up over 6 years and will already be 27 next year. The Sox are in terrible shape right now so in all likelihood he'll perform to that level when they suck and then underperform it 3 years down the road when they might be good.

And at that point he's a Peavy/Rios/Ramirez/Dunn/Konerko who they have to move for future bench players or can't move at all because they aren't even worth a gamble that they'll suck less in different scenery.

I mean, hell, they moved the centerpiece of the three-way Peavy deal and got back Avisail Garcia (by far the worst piece) in return. That's how terribly they've managed their assets.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

The Ghost of Tom Joad... errrr Dave Littlefield guides their decisions.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:20 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

If the next highest bid was only $55M, it's a terrible deal even if he hits like Babe Ruth.