Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Polanco or Marte for LF?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yep, let's move a guy who hasn't proven a thing in place of the NL MVP.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Yeah. I love this thinking. Cutch has shown improvements defensively over the years and looked great this past season. He's learned PNC Park's center field intimately, and he has the speed and instincts to cover as much ground as anyone. I don't think he'll be moving any time soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:49 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
If defense at first is important, where are all of the all glove, no hit first basemen?

Why isn't Ryan Doumit playing first base for the Pirates?

There's a difference between bad defense and no defense, not to mention the fact that he repeated stated that he would only catch while he was here.

And there is a difference between being a decent fielder/decent hitting first baseman and a "all glove no hit" first baseman. Which was exactly my point. You created a false choice with your post. No one . . . I repeat no one . . . has claimed that you need to play a Mario Mendoza type at first base.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

mjdouble wrote:
Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:
Excuse me but if Polanco is as good as they say he is then he should be the Pirates center fielder. Cutch would move to left field, and Marte moves to right field.

It may very well be hurtful to Cutch's ego but he's got to realize that the Pirates need to do what's best for the team.

I think the consensus is Marte is the better of the three defensively.

Possibly. Polanco has been getting the hype as the best of the 3 but who knows how it'll translate. I'd put Marte over Cutch though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:44 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
And there is a difference between being a decent fielder/decent hitting first baseman and a "all glove no hit" first baseman. Which was exactly my point. You created a false choice with your post. No one . . . I repeat no one . . . has claimed that you need to play a Mario Mendoza type at first base.

I think his point was that the fact that the converse of that (all hit, no glove 1B) exists and is plentiful while the other doesn't demonstrates how lowly defense ranks on the bat vs. glove scale. The fact that an Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard or Jason Giambi have made oodles of starts at 1B (sometimes before being moved to the AL to DH) while accumulating embarrassing, putrid defensive numbers isn't really all that far removed from the Doumit example aside from the fact that their bat carried them and invalidated the defensive shortcomings, which just goes back to the original point. I don't think anyone would disagree with you that having plus 1B defense is an asset and shouldn't be dismissed, just that it's an added bonus that you can live without if the bat is there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:36 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Yeah. I love this thinking. Cutch has shown improvements defensively over the years and looked great this past season. He's learned PNC Park's center field intimately, and he has the speed and instincts to cover as much ground as anyone. I don't think he'll be moving any time soon.

If Cutch was a poor fielder, then we'd be having this conversation. But he's pretty damn good. And he's the Face of the Franchise. He shouldn't be moved unless he's fully on board with such a move. Absolutely NO need to antagonize the guy.

Besides, we still haven't seen Polanco play OF in the Bigs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:32 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

It isn't a false choice. It's common to find all glove, no hit starters in baseball at shortstop, second base, catcher, and center field. I've even seen them at third base, but not for a while. But the only all glove first baseman I ever saw was Mike Squires, and he never got 400 ABs in a season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:18 pm 

I think it will be interesting to see what the Pirates do with Marte going forward. He's not really suited to be a lead-off hitter, but I'm not sure where else you put him in the line-up. I think he'll develop into more of a #3 guy, but that spot will be occupied quite nicely for the next several years.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:03 am 

Scrap Iron wrote:
I think it will be interesting to see what the Pirates do with Marte going forward. He's not really suited to be a lead-off hitter, but I'm not sure where else you put him in the line-up. I think he'll develop into more of a #3 guy, but that spot will be occupied quite nicely for the next several years.

Thoughts?

I wonder if NH could convince Hurdle to put Cutch in the #2 spot.