Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am 

Cardinals need to look in the mirror. Starting not to like these guys.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/st-louis-cardinals-take-issue-with-los-angeles-dodgers-celebrations?ymd=20131015&content_id=62962860&vkey=news_mlb

Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't think the Cardinals said anything particularly offensive.

And bucco boy, aren't you the guy constantly getting on Brandon Phillips for showboating? Weird that you'd come on here and give the Cards a hard time for reacting to Puig's "look at me" bat flip on a triple...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am 

The problem is that baseball, being the most effete sport this side of cricket, has all these "unwritten" rules. Which are fine as far as they go. But the game being played by men, these guys have to prove their masculinity by taking affront at everything. Now, I am no fan of excessive celebration and I much prefer players who act like they've been there before. But complaining about how a player runs the bases seems equally childish. Which is why I read fewer and fewer game reports these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am 

To me that's just the normal kind of stuff that happens on the field, and the normal kind of comments that follow.

The one thing I take exception to is standing and watching a ball because you think it's gone, when it's not. I much prefer players who run hard as soon as they hit the ball.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:

And bucco boy, aren't you the guy constantly getting on Brandon Phillips for showboating? Weird that you'd come on here and give the Cards a hard time for reacting to Puig's "look at me" bat flip on a triple...

Not weird at all considering Phillips does it all the time. My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:10 am 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Not weird at all considering Phillips does it all the time. My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.

I watched a lot of Cardinals baseball this season and I don't recall seeing any member of that team do a double-arm-pump and bat flip after hitting a ball that landed in play. Did you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.

I did. No excuse for a third inning curtain call no matter the circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 am 

bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Except that the curtain call thing, that was the fans, right? What's he supposed to do, ignore them?

Byrd did something similar when he homered in his first game for us, right? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how much over-the-top an act you would consider his tipping of the cap was, but it seems similar to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 am 

val wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Except that the curtain call thing, that was the fans, right? What's he supposed to do, ignore them?

Byrd did something similar when he homered in his first game for us, right? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how much over-the-top an act you would consider his tipping of the cap was, but it seems similar to me.

I've seen people stand for a long time and applaud and have watched guys not come out. What's next? Curtain calls for a sacrifice fly in a big game?

I would have no problem with Freese pumping his fists as he went around the bases, high fiving his teammates, letting out a scream, but I am going by old-school rules. Wasn't a curtain call moment.

And the point of this post was the hypocrisy of the Cardinals if they say anything. Smells a little like the Braves. Just get ready for Game 4.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 am 
 WWW  Profile

I don't see hypocrisy, bucco boy. NONE of the Cardinals have done anything this year like what Puig did when he hit that triple. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. But the words spoken by the Cardinal players in the article you linked to were pretty reasonable. Nothing incendiary or McCann-like, if you will.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:

Here's how I imagine you, bucco boy, after Freese's curtain call:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm 

I would have a problem if a Pirate did this in the same situation. Just like I would have a problem if Neil Walker or Starling Marte acted like Brandon Phillips.

And your picture is not really funny. I actually sat there very quiet when the whole thing happened and thought WTF was that. I posted it on the board at the time that I thought it was bush. Still feel that way.

People may disagree, but I am pretty consistent with my views of baseball traditions and being more old school. You can post 1,000 more posts on the subject JC, but you aren't going to change my mind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.

I've read a fair amount of criticism of Freese for the curtain call. Deciding game, fans calling for it, Freese acknowledging it . . . didn't bother me. I can see the argument that it wasn't the prototypical curtain call moment but . . . in my mind . . . the team that scored first in that game was in the driver's seat and Freese put a 2 spot on the board at a crucial moment in a winner-take-all game. He sprinted around the bases, didn't make a show and ultimately acknowledged what the crowd was asking for.

Byrd came out for a curtain call in the bottom of the 7th inning in a regular season game after hitting a 3 run HR when the Pirates were leading 4-1 and his HR made it 7-1. The fans wanted it, the fans were excited for his arrival and he acknowledged them.

As for criticism of Puig, he's brought it on himself with his flamboyance. I really didn't have a problem with the exuberance after the triple but I can't divorce the "I just hit a HR" bat flip from the play. Yeah, he still got to third base so it didn't cost them but I would compare the situation to a wide receiver who starts strutting at the 10 yard line, thinking that he's got a TD and he ends up getting tripped up at the 1 but gets up and celebrates wildly. You just look like an ass when you show off and are wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
And your picture is not really funny.

Well, THAT I disagree with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
As for criticism of Puig, he's brought it on himself with his flamboyance. I really didn't have a problem with the exuberance after the triple but I can't divorce the "I just hit a HR" bat flip from the play. Yeah, he still got to third base so it didn't cost them but I would compare the situation to a wide receiver who starts strutting at the 10 yard line, thinking that he's got a TD and he ends up getting tripped up at the 1 but gets up and celebrates wildly. You just look like an ass when you show off and are wrong.

I love it when that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm 

I thought the picture was funny. And I thought the Freese curtain call was a bit odd but no big deal.

Really, too much is made of these types of things. Play the damn game and let the scoreboard decide it.

I hate when it descends into a bean ball war. Might as well watch hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:18 pm 

Storm in a teacup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:02 pm 

To me the Cardinals had a problem with it but did nothing about it. Puig and Gonzo came back up and there wasnt a pitch inside. Purhaps thats because Puig would squish Wainwright like a bug.