Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 5726
Location: Keystone State
Cardinals need to look in the mirror. Starting not to like these guys.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/st-louis-cardinals-take-issue-with-los-angeles-dodgers-celebrations?ymd=20131015&content_id=62962860&vkey=news_mlb

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 am 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
I don't think the Cardinals said anything particularly offensive.

And bucco boy, aren't you the guy constantly getting on Brandon Phillips for showboating? Weird that you'd come on here and give the Cards a hard time for reacting to Puig's "look at me" bat flip on a triple...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1132
Location: Eastern Shore
The problem is that baseball, being the most effete sport this side of cricket, has all these "unwritten" rules. Which are fine as far as they go. But the game being played by men, these guys have to prove their masculinity by taking affront at everything. Now, I am no fan of excessive celebration and I much prefer players who act like they've been there before. But complaining about how a player runs the bases seems equally childish. Which is why I read fewer and fewer game reports these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3202
Location: Economy, PA
To me that's just the normal kind of stuff that happens on the field, and the normal kind of comments that follow.

The one thing I take exception to is standing and watching a ball because you think it's gone, when it's not. I much prefer players who run hard as soon as they hit the ball.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 5726
Location: Keystone State
J_C_Steel wrote:
I don't think the Cardinals said anything particularly offensive.

And bucco boy, aren't you the guy constantly getting on Brandon Phillips for showboating? Weird that you'd come on here and give the Cards a hard time for reacting to Puig's "look at me" bat flip on a triple...


Not weird at all considering Phillips does it all the time. My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:10 am 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I don't think the Cardinals said anything particularly offensive.

And bucco boy, aren't you the guy constantly getting on Brandon Phillips for showboating? Weird that you'd come on here and give the Cards a hard time for reacting to Puig's "look at me" bat flip on a triple...


Not weird at all considering Phillips does it all the time. My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.


I watched a lot of Cardinals baseball this season and I don't recall seeing any member of that team do a double-arm-pump and bat flip after hitting a ball that landed in play. Did you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:11 am 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 5726
Location: Keystone State
J_C_Steel wrote:
I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.


I did. No excuse for a third inning curtain call no matter the circumstances.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1132
Location: Eastern Shore
bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.


I did. No excuse for a third inning curtain call no matter the circumstances.

Except that the curtain call thing, that was the fans, right? What's he supposed to do, ignore them?

Byrd did something similar when he homered in his first game for us, right? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how much over-the-top an act you would consider his tipping of the cap was, but it seems similar to me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 5726
Location: Keystone State
val wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
I had no problem with the Freese curtain call. It's a winner-take-all game and a tight series. That was a huge home run. Oh, and Freese didn't flip his bat or stare at it, either.


I did. No excuse for a third inning curtain call no matter the circumstances.

Except that the curtain call thing, that was the fans, right? What's he supposed to do, ignore them?

Byrd did something similar when he homered in his first game for us, right? I didn't see the game, so I don't know how much over-the-top an act you would consider his tipping of the cap was, but it seems similar to me.


I've seen people stand for a long time and applaud and have watched guys not come out. What's next? Curtain calls for a sacrifice fly in a big game?

I would have no problem with Freese pumping his fists as he went around the bases, high fiving his teammates, letting out a scream, but I am going by old-school rules. Wasn't a curtain call moment.

And the point of this post was the hypocrisy of the Cardinals if they say anything. Smells a little like the Braves. Just get ready for Game 4.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 am 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
I don't see hypocrisy, bucco boy. NONE of the Cardinals have done anything this year like what Puig did when he hit that triple. Personally, I don't have a problem with it. But the words spoken by the Cardinal players in the article you linked to were pretty reasonable. Nothing incendiary or McCann-like, if you will.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
bucco boy wrote:
I did. No excuse for a third inning curtain call no matter the circumstances.


Here's how I imagine you, bucco boy, after Freese's curtain call:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 5726
Location: Keystone State
I would have a problem if a Pirate did this in the same situation. Just like I would have a problem if Neil Walker or Starling Marte acted like Brandon Phillips.

And your picture is not really funny. I actually sat there very quiet when the whole thing happened and thought WTF was that. I posted it on the board at the time that I thought it was bush. Still feel that way.

People may disagree, but I am pretty consistent with my views of baseball traditions and being more old school. You can post 1,000 more posts on the subject JC, but you aren't going to change my mind.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4967
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
bucco boy wrote:
My point is the Cardinals do this stuff sometimes too. (Freese curtain call on a two-run home run in the third inning comes to mind). They should just keep quiet about it.


I've read a fair amount of criticism of Freese for the curtain call. Deciding game, fans calling for it, Freese acknowledging it . . . didn't bother me. I can see the argument that it wasn't the prototypical curtain call moment but . . . in my mind . . . the team that scored first in that game was in the driver's seat and Freese put a 2 spot on the board at a crucial moment in a winner-take-all game. He sprinted around the bases, didn't make a show and ultimately acknowledged what the crowd was asking for.

Byrd came out for a curtain call in the bottom of the 7th inning in a regular season game after hitting a 3 run HR when the Pirates were leading 4-1 and his HR made it 7-1. The fans wanted it, the fans were excited for his arrival and he acknowledged them.

As for criticism of Puig, he's brought it on himself with his flamboyance. I really didn't have a problem with the exuberance after the triple but I can't divorce the "I just hit a HR" bat flip from the play. Yeah, he still got to third base so it didn't cost them but I would compare the situation to a wide receiver who starts strutting at the 10 yard line, thinking that he's got a TD and he ends up getting tripped up at the 1 but gets up and celebrates wildly. You just look like an ass when you show off and are wrong.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
Online
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
bucco boy wrote:
And your picture is not really funny.


Well, THAT I disagree with.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1132
Location: Eastern Shore
No. 9 wrote:
As for criticism of Puig, he's brought it on himself with his flamboyance. I really didn't have a problem with the exuberance after the triple but I can't divorce the "I just hit a HR" bat flip from the play. Yeah, he still got to third base so it didn't cost them but I would compare the situation to a wide receiver who starts strutting at the 10 yard line, thinking that he's got a TD and he ends up getting tripped up at the 1 but gets up and celebrates wildly. You just look like an ass when you show off and are wrong.

I love it when that happens.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3202
Location: Economy, PA
I thought the picture was funny. And I thought the Freese curtain call was a bit odd but no big deal.

Really, too much is made of these types of things. Play the damn game and let the scoreboard decide it.

I hate when it descends into a bean ball war. Might as well watch hockey.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2785


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Storm in a teacup.

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Are these guys serious?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 220
To me the Cardinals had a problem with it but did nothing about it. Puig and Gonzo came back up and there wasnt a pitch inside. Purhaps thats because Puig would squish Wainwright like a bug.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], J_C_Steel, NSMaster56 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits