Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cards and the Dodgers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

So the Cards are up 2-0 already and Wainwright hasn't gotten off the bench yet. Goes to my thought that teams get hot and it's streaky.
Our offense was questioned in the playoff games but the Dodgers have a huge group, paid incredible salaries and they haven't produced so far against the hot kids from St. Loius. Makes our guys look much more on equal footing with the big free agents signed in LA.
Looks like the Cards are on their way to the Series. I'm impressed with their pitching, aren't you?

Post subject: Re: Cards and the Dodgers
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:14 pm 

Crazy thing is, the Dodgers have outhit the Cards 14-9 with both teams having 2 doubles and a triple. So it's not like the Cards are clicking offensively.

Then last night we see a one-hitter against the Sox in a 1-0 win for the Tigers.

Good pitching always > hitting. Nowhere is that more evident than the postseason.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:19 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Crazy thing is, the Dodgers have outhit the Cards 14-9 with both teams having 2 doubles and a triple. So it's not like the Cards are clicking offensively.

Then last night we see a one-hitter against the Sox in a 1-0 win for the Tigers.

Good pitching always > hitting. Nowhere is that more evident than the postseason.

And Boston is getting no-hit for a second straight game. Through 6 innings, at least......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:27 am 

Andddddd then the notorious Detroit Tigers bullpen did what the Detroit Tigers bullpen does.

Wow. Shame that such a solid team might get done in by their awful bullpen ultimately.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:15 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Andddddd then the notorious Detroit Tigers bullpen did what the Detroit Tigers bullpen does.

Wow. Shame that such a solid team might get done in by their awful bullpen ultimately.

The GS was brutal to watch as a vehemently anti-Sox guy.

I really don't see any reason not to prefer the Cardinals of the teams left. I know there has been a lot of backlash against them lately for the fanbase's inflated sense of themselves and the overbearing patting themselves on the back for being an ideal franchise, but I'm totally glad they look like they're going to eliminate the Dodgers. I always have a soft spot for the Tigers because of the Leyland/McClendon/Lamont staff but at this point they have been such a prominent postseason presence fixture the enthusiasm just isn't there this year. Also not a Fielder fan. Still want them to beat Boston though, obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 pm 

Since the Cards are from our division, and they train just a few miles from my house, I am rooting for them. I feel like it's good for the Bucs (who played them pretty even all year) psyche, if the Cards win out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:29 pm 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

I really don't see any reason not to prefer the Cardinals of the teams left. I know there has been a lot of backlash against them lately for the fanbase's inflated sense of themselves and the overbearing patting themselves on the back for being an ideal franchise, but I'm totally glad they look like they're going to eliminate the Dodgers. .

Cardinals are the Yankees of the National League. End of story. Their fans have that right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

No Pirates? No watch-ee

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:20 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Cardinals are the Yankees of the National League. End of story. Their fans have that right.

By what measure? Their success and/or the aforementioned fanbase annoyance? I wouldn't compare their actual organizations at all, more like total opposites. If anything, the Dodgers were the "Yankees of the National League" this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:26 am 

TheShark wrote:
Corsair wrote:

By what measure? Their success and/or the aforementioned fanbase annoyance? I wouldn't compare their actual organizations at all, more like total opposites. If anything, the Dodgers were the "Yankees of the National League" this year.

The Cards have won the second most total World Serieses, and the most pennants in NL history. They also have the least number of sub .500 seasons!

That qualifies as Yankee like to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:32 am 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:

I really don't see any reason not to prefer the Cardinals of the teams left. I know there has been a lot of backlash against them lately for the fanbase's inflated sense of themselves and the overbearing patting themselves on the back for being an ideal franchise, but I'm totally glad they look like they're going to eliminate the Dodgers. I always have a soft spot for the Tigers because of the Leyland/McClendon/Lamont staff but at this point they have been such a prominent postseason presence fixture the enthusiasm just isn't there this year. Also not a Fielder fan. Still want them to beat Boston though, obviously.

Following the Baseball's Best Fans twitter account does kinda make you hate the Cards, but I bet that would apply to all teams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 am 

St. Louis as a baseball town reminds me of Pittsburgh as a football town.

I've been to many different baseball venues and can state unequivocally that the baseball experience in St. Louis is amazing. It is a franchise steeped in tradition and success and it's fans take great pride in that.

The Rams and Blues are afterthoughts. It is - hands down - a baseball town.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 am 

Looks like the Cards still can't hit good left-handed pitchers. I wish the Pirates had another one of those. Here's hoping Jeff Locke recaptures his pinpoint fastball command in April 2014...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:02 pm 

I know that there are some here that are rooting for the Cards, but their insufferable fans and their entitlement along with their condescending jackass broadcast team that I was forced to endure on Pirates' away games on the Extra Inning Package has really amped up my hatred for them. Then there is this from Deadspin today:

http://deadspin.com/cardinals-complain-about-dodgers-mickey-mouse-celebr-1445526942

Really? Wainwright getting his panties in a knot because Gonzalez celebrated too much after driving in a run? Really? The Dodgers hadn't scored in what, like 20 innings, so I don't think a little exuberance at finally knocking in a run was over the top. The Puig sin, in my opinion was flipping the bat and going into full celebration when the ball didn't even leave the yard, and I get that Puig's antics rub many in baseball the wrong way but who the F are the Cards to dictate how everyone should act? This from a team whose third-baseman ran out for a curtain call in the SECOND INNING of the Pirates game after hitting a HR making the game 2-0! What was that Freese's 3rd hit of the series? Curtain call?! Jeebus, gimme a break! But that is ok because if the Cards do it, it is class. If anyone else does it, it's "Mickey Mouse."

From that "Best Fans in Baseball" (TM) crap to now being the arbitors of "how to act in baseball 101", really, F-The Cards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:09 pm 

The Cards should wrap this thing up by game seven.

HOWEVER, it isn't inconceivable for them to drop two in a row (Grienke today and Kershaw Friday).

If such is the case, could having a lefty like Ryu throwing in final game swing things in the Doyers favor...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 pm 

That Wacha kid is pretty ridiculous. Going head to head with Kershaw, and man o man, shutting the door on the Dodgers.

Plus, for those who want Cutch to win the MVP, a final line of 4 innings pitched and 7 earned runs, with no outs recorded in the 5th when he was yanked, has to diminish Kershaw's chances somewhat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 am 

The Dodgers are really close to being a World Series team.

If they can spare around $50 M more to upgrade their roster, it should be just enough to give them that extra 'something'.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:32 am 

val wrote:
That Wacha kid is pretty ridiculous. Going head to head with Kershaw, and man o man, shutting the door on the Dodgers.

Plus, for those who want Cutch to win the MVP, a final line of 4 innings pitched and 7 earned runs, with no outs recorded in the 5th when he was yanked, has to diminish Kershaw's chances somewhat.

MVP votes had to be submitted before the playoffs. I'm 99.9% sure of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:22 am 

MVP is for regular season only I am pretty sure.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:03 am 

I know that MVP is for the regular season only, but it seems like stunning postseasons have influenced voters previously. Perhaps MLB has changed the voting deadlines to prevent just such a miscarriage. In which case, I still think Kershaw wins the MVP.