Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Short, Medium, and Long Term
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 pm 

Pirates Prospects did a nice breakdown of the roster situation (link at the bottom).

Quick, relevant tidbits:

*The free agents are pretty well known (Byrd, Barmes, Farnsworth, Burnett, Jones, Morneau, etc.) so won't get too far in to that. Can't predict much without knowing their plans for the AAA guys.

*The 2 players with options will almost assuredly have them picked up. Liriano is a no-brainer and Wandy would have to be crazy to not exercise his player option.

*Getting into the extremely relevant stuff for roster composition, the arbitration eligible players are

Jones
Morton
Walker
G. Sanchez
Pedro
Melancon
Snider
Mazzaro
Pie
McKenry

Of those, Pie, Mazzaro, Jones, and Snider are probably the non-tender candidates. Possibly Gaby and McKenry, although McKenry has an option and probably wouldn't command much in arbitration so I could see him in AAA next year.

*The players who are out of options are

Jeanmar Gomez
Bryan Morris
Kyle McPherson
Stolmy Pimentel
Jerry Sands
Andy Oliver
Travis Snider
Vin Mazzaro
Felix Pie

That means those players MUST be on the MLB roster from Day 1, or they need to pass through waivers in order to be assigned to AAA.

McPherson and Oliver are candidates for an extra option year (Detroit burned Oliver's extremely early and McPherson lost a year due to injury) so there's 2 guys you don't need to worry about.

It mostly gets complicated around Pimentel, Snider, and Mazzaro. Sands is likely a guy they'll just try to pass through waivers and Pie is 28 years old and hasn't been able to stick in the majors. Just not gonna happen at that point.

Pimentel has no chance of passing through waivers. So he MUST make the team out of ST. That potentially complicates things with the starting rotation, especially with there being some buzz around transitioning Justin Wilson back to a starter. Add in Taillon looking good in the AFL, Kingham in-line to be in AAA, and McPherson/Irwin/Cumpton and they might just need to say bye to AJ in order to figure out what they have before the window officially opens. They still need to take the approach of not blocking players, because Cole/Taillon/Cutch/Marte/Pedro will be around a lot longer than the older players will and you can't be seasoning guys for that whole window that they're together. Especially since they'll probably deal Cole and Taillon at some point.

Snider's lack of options likely means he's gone, but man, that's going to be a tough one for this FO to swallow I think. Young player, had a strong pedigree. The kind of guy you like having in the system for breakout potential. But, with Tabata cementing a spot, Polanco knocking on the door, Lambo maybe surpassing him, and Snider not really having the ability to play anything but RF.....it's a tough spot for him to be in.

Mazzaro is another guy who likely won't pass through waivers, but who you might not want to pay arbitration type money for either. It's not that he wasn't a solid, relatively dependable pitcher. It's just that he's a righthanded reliever. Wouldn't mind having him back, but unlike Morris (cheap), Gomez (young, solid in long relief), and Melancon (very good) I don't think he's a lock to make the 25-man roster.

So that's where we stand. It's looking like there'll be some turnover on the bottom of the roster, with some of those moves ultimately impacting the bigger names up top such as Burnett and Byrd.

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/10/pittsburgh-pirates-2013-14-off-season-contract-situations.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:10 pm 

My question is does Snyder turn into the next Brandon Moss? :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm 

If he does, that should look worse on the Blue Jays than us. PNC is where any lefty with power has the chance to showcase it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:18 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
That potentially complicates things with the starting rotation, especially with there being some buzz around transitioning Justin Wilson back to a starter.

Just fan speculation, right? Haven't heard anything finite from the organization about such, nor do I think it would be anything but a bad idea. It wasn't until Wilson was used as a reliever in the minors that he consistently approached the high 90s and with his past control issues being more or less kept in check as an effective reliever in the majors, I just don't see the point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Neither do I. I can see he and/or Watson both becoming closer-types though. A bounty of riches that way.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:29 pm 

TheShark wrote:
StarlingArcher wrote:
That potentially complicates things with the starting rotation, especially with there being some buzz around transitioning Justin Wilson back to a starter.

Just fan speculation, right? Haven't heard anything finite from the organization about such, nor do I think it would be anything but a bad idea. It wasn't until Wilson was used as a reliever in the minors that he consistently approached the high 90s and with his past control issues being more or less kept in check as an effective reliever in the majors, I just don't see the point.

Tim Williams is pretty adamant that the Pirates are going to transition him back to a starter based on scuttlebutt around Pirate City. I'm really just deferring to him on this since he lives around Bradenton. He sat around 94 as a starter in Indy last year so he might not be hitting 99 anymore but that's more than enough for a lefty.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Would stink to waste a guy like that in the bullpen. Ideal 5th starter, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I would only take Byrd back if he came cheap, as the PED concerns scare me going forward. I think some other team will overpay him and that's not a chance I'd like to take.

If Morneau comes back cheap, and Abreu is not going to happen, I'd probably bring Gaby back and platoon with those two. I can't see anyone breaking the bank on Morneau.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Lambo at first may be intriguing, as well. I thought he looked a lot better than his numbers showed at the plate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:16 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Tim Williams is pretty adamant that the Pirates are going to transition him back to a starter based on scuttlebutt around Pirate City. I'm really just deferring to him on this since he lives around Bradenton. He sat around 94 as a starter in Indy last year so he might not be hitting 99 anymore but that's more than enough for a lefty.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. Would stink to waste a guy like that in the bullpen. Ideal 5th starter, I think.

More-so than velocity I think it will all hinge on his control. From every report I ever heard in the minors, the control issues always canceled out any success he had over a considerable amount of time. Normally I'm with you on wanting to maximize the value of a reliever with that kind of upside, but I guess it would just seem like really odd timing to me coming off of a rookie season that was good as you would have ever anticipated from a lefty reliever and posting a near sub-2.00 ERA, and that even without the K numbers you expected (though that could obviously also point toward being lucky with BABIP, etc). But, if those were the kind of numbers they wanted to see with the endgoal to transition him back to a starter, I suppose you would start now rather than later.