Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Encouraging news about Moss
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:05 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09016/942139-63.stm

Obviously, they're going to need to take it easy on him, especially at first, but if Brandon can put up .280/.360/.470 in 400ABs, that would be huge.

This should also put the smackdown on the notion that Craig Monroe was signed as anything other than roster filler.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Post subject: Re: Encouraging news about Moss
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 pm 

I really believe that Moss will be a standout performer for this club. I would think .275 with 25-30HRs and 87 RBI. Andy LaRoche will bounce back as well with some nice numbers. I think he hits .280 with 22 HRs and 75 RBI.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:44 pm 

They both have a lot to prove. If these reports have any validity, Don Long is doing a nice job so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:46 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
I really believe that Moss will be a standout performer for this club. I would think .275 with 25-30HRs and 87 RBI. Andy LaRoche will bounce back as well with some nice numbers. I think he hits .280 with 22 HRs and 75 RBI.

If both of those guys do put up numbers like that, and assuming that Doumit and Mclouth don't fall of the map this season, we could really make a little dent in the Central. We don't have the firepower to match up with the Cubs, but we could make some teams very unhappy.

That said, for every player who breaks out this season, we'll have another who falls off the map.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:02 pm 

I think some are getting a little carried away with Moss. Lets just hope he stays healthy, shows an ability to adjust to pitching throughout the year, and doesnt react when some vocal fans write him off during a 2 week slump.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:09 pm 

He really doesn't have much left to prove at AAA so we should find out rather quickly if he is ready to make the jump or just a AAAA type player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:12 pm 

When it comes to young players I like to point out that Mike Schmidt hit .196 as a rookie. However he walked over 60 times that year. He had a good eye, just couldn't hit it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:15 pm 

Argentum wrote:
He really doesn't have much left to prove at AAA so we should find out rather quickly if he is ready to make the jump or just a AAAA type player.

I agree he has nothing left to prove at AAA, but theres still a gap between that and success in the majors. There is still plenty of room for development, and that could take some time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

I agree he has nothing left to prove at AAA, but theres still a gap between that and success in the majors. There is still plenty of room for development, and that could take some time.

He needs to be given regular at bats, something that he wasnt offered in Boston and now is healthy and spent an offseason with a new hitting coach has the chance to prove it...

I like his power potential...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:23 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

He needs to be given regular at bats, something that he wasnt offered in Boston and now is healthy and spent an offseason with a new hitting coach has the chance to prove it...

I like his power potential...

All true.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:30 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

By quickly I meant a year or two, but yeah, I'm willing to give him more than a few weeks or months. If, and I mean a big IF, McCutchen and Tabata start pushing this year though, Moss becomes the outside looking in guy again. Just like in Boston. Not a bad thing for the Pirates, but certainly not a good thing for Moss the player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:33 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Kingston wrote:
Argentum wrote:

By quickly I meant a year or two, but yeah, I'm willing to give him more than a few weeks or months. If, and I mean a big IF, McCutchen and Tabata start pushing this year though, Moss becomes the outside looking in guy again. Just like in Boston. Not a bad thing for the Pirates, but certainly not a good thing for Moss the player.

Then I misunderstood and we're in agreement. I guess the Throw Laroche Under A Bus After 100 At Bats Crowd has gotten to me. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:38 pm 

Kingston wrote:
Then I misunderstood and we're in agreement. I guess the Throw Laroche Under A Bus After 100 At Bats Crowd has gotten to me. :)

Actually I should have been more specific. Although I have been ready to throw Adam Laroche under the bus by the end of April the past two seasons!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Kingston wrote:

Actually I should have been more specific. Although I have been ready to throw Adam Laroche under the bus by the end of April the past two seasons!

Given his love of hunting, maybe we can hire a hypnotist to convince him pitchers are throwing ducks at him instead of baseballs.