Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot and Cold
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:32 am 

We all know that baseball is a long season with almost all players having streaks and slumps. These are small sample things not reflected in the many stats used to evaluate players. Both hitters and pitchers go through this as the season progresses. How many times have you heard "I'm really seeing the ball well right now".
Point here is that you need to consider that when you make decisions about managing players to maximize winning or "I really had my stuff (my A Game) tonight".

In retrospect it's easy to say Marte should not have played, Walker should not have played, Alverez should have been moved up so he could bat more often. Instead we said they're due!. Guess what -- they still are. Hurdle made the tuff call with starting Cole but his guts went no further. We weren't going to win last night but we might have increased our chances by making the innovative moves.

All in all it was a great season and I don't want to sound negative about these guys-- I sure enjoyed the ride.

Post subject: Re: Hot and Cold
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:18 pm 

A couple things disappointed me with Hurdle.

First off, we were lacking offense all but one game this series. Mercer should have been at SS instead of Barmes.

Not much you could do with Walker, but hope he got it going. He never did.

But we had another option in LF. Marte should have been sat down and Tabata should have played.

And finally, other than a couple totally meaningless hits last night, Morneau did absolutely nothing for a month. He should not have been in there at an important time like this, ESPECIALLY in the cleanup spot.

You make a gutsy move taking the ball out of Burnett's hand, yet you give a bat to Morneau, Marte, and Barmes when you had other options.

But, it's been a great year. Can't wait till next year!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:20 pm 

Animal wrote:

First off, we were lacking offense all but one game this series. Mercer should have been at SS instead of Barmes.

But we had another option in LF. Marte should have been sat down and Tabata should have played.

And finally, other than a couple totally meaningless hits last night, Morneau did absolutely nothing for a month. He should not have been in there at an important time like this, ESPECIALLY in the cleanup spot.
You make a gutsy move taking the ball out of Burnett's hand, yet you give a bat to Morneau, Marte, and Barmes when you had other options.

Maybe Morneau would have been better in the 2nd spot. There was no one base when Cutch came up. Bump Byrd and Alvarez up and try to get our two best hitters for the series more ABs...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:22 pm 

Animal wrote:

I would have left Barmes at SS but Mercer would have played some second over Walker.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:55 pm 

val wrote:
Maybe Morneau would have been better in the 2nd spot. There was no one base when Cutch came up. Bump Byrd and Alvarez up and try to get our two best hitters for the series more ABs...

Agreed. That was the best option.

Oh, well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 am 

Animal wrote:

!

Marte should start for his glove alone. Tabata doesn't make that diving catch even in his dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:01 pm 

Animal wrote:

No better option than Morneau at first unless there is a lefty on the mound.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:34 pm 

I would have batted in this order:

1 - Marte
2 - Walker
3 - Cutch
4 - Byrd
5- Pedro
6 - Martin
7 - Morneau
8 - Barmes/Mercer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:35 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Marte should start for his glove alone. Tabata doesn't make that diving catch even in his dreams.

One great catch doesn't trump going 1-21 in the series. Very unlikely that Tabata would have been worse.

I'm fine with wanting to go with Marte for most of the series due to the defense and SB abilities, but I don't think you sit a player who posted OPS figures of .851 and .844 in August/September for 6 straight playoff games. Especially when you factor in that Marte was significantly worse in September since returning from the DL.

Not that it's really worth armchairing for the series. But overall it goes back to something I've been saying a while which is that I'll just never be comfortable with Marte as a lead-off hitter as long as he's posting a K rate around 25%. More specifically, the inability to lay off outside pitches low and away and the first pitch drag bunt attempt that he did all season long which worked about 5% of the time and gave away a strike/led to a pitcher's count the other 95%. I realize that he manages to even the numbers out with the ability to get hit by pitches and making enough contact despite the plate discipline, but I'd much prefer Tabata in that role if he's starting (i.e. potentially next year).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm 

I would say that as long as they're going to trot out a "role-based" lineup in terms of construction, they should seriously contemplate hitting Marte 8th.

He doesn't really profile as a 3-4-5-6 guy, at least not as we currently have things set up.....might as well hit him 8th to give him an artificial OBP boost and let him wreak some havoc for the top of the order.

Polanco's the likely leadoff hitter when he comes up I think. The 25 HR power that scouts are buzzing about won't come along until his age 25-26 year or so. They just like the solid contact and the physical projection that comes with being 6'4".

In the playoffs I thought the lineup was okay. I was pretty adamant about hitting Morneau lower but it is what it is. Everybody needs a safety blanket to some extent I suppose, and Wacha and Wainright would've dominated either way. Not like the Cards weren't quiet against our pitching themselves. It was just a best-of-3 series that came down to pitching and we got beat. It happens.