Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Go....Stay
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm 

Wonder if Lambo is a legit player. He can play 1B. His righty/lefty split at AAA wasn't bad hitting .250 with 6 HR in 58 AB's against LHP and .280 with 12 HR vs. RHP.

I don't think he was really given a full chance to show what he could do but he is an interesting player to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
Not much talk about Snyder. I don't value him at all. I think he needs to go back to AAA and prove that he can hit for power.

He's out of options and you'd probably lose him sending him down. Not that I'd have a problem letting him go.

I'm on board for not giving up in the face of Jose and Brandon's success leaving. Still young.

That said, my wife got a tweet from him indicating he is done in Pittsburgh.

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Honored. Blessed. Thankful. Sad leaving this group of men who truly play/care for one another. What an experience. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23headshigh&amp;src=hash">#headshigh</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bucn&amp;src=hash">#Bucn</a></p>&mdash; Travis Snider (@Lunchboxhero45) <a href="https://twitter.com/Lunchboxhero45/statuses/388151738928099328">October 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/tweet]

OK, who can help me with embedding a tweet.....

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
OK, who can help me with embedding a tweet.....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:13 pm 

And what about the backup catcher? Have we seen the last of The Fort, or does Sanchez begin the year playing every day at AAA?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

Animal wrote:
And what about the backup catcher? Have we seen the last of The Fort, or does Sanchez begin the year playing every day at AAA?

I think McKenry is done in Pittsburgh. He's bad behind the dish and his bat was awful this year. Great guy but it's probably time to go in a different direction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
I REALLY like Byrd. I saw a postgame interview with him last night and he definitely wants to be a part of this team moving forward. He's a gamer.

Of course he's going to want to stay here. He's 36 years old. To date, the cumulative winning percentage of the teams he played for before coming here was .473. He hit a HR in his first game for us, and after 1250 games played, he homers in his first playoff AB in front of one the greatest crowds ever.

The question is: why wouldn't anyone not want him to stay. He gave us the second really good bat in the lineup we've been needing. Even at a figure substantially higher than the $700,000 we're paying him, he'll still most likely be a better deal than anyone else we can find.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:33 pm 

the more i think about it the more i want tabata back as the fourth OF..
I like the idea of signing byrd but if that does not work out than a dejesus would be ok..
glaring hole at 1b, we need someone

c-martin
1b-F/A
2b-walker
ss-mercer
3b-alvarez
of-marte, cutch, *byrd or FA
bench-tony sanchez(he will get 45-50 starts), gaby sanchez, harrison, tabata, lambo, barmes (1 year/2 million)

pitching staff is going to be solid, liriano, cole, morton, rodriguez, (one of the young minor leaguers or karstens, locke, cumpton or even a FA)
mazzaro, gomez, wilson, watson, melancon, grilli

bye bye jones, snider, buck, morneau, morris, burnett, mckennry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:40 pm 

Animal wrote:

Sanchez is the back-up catcher next year. It's why he stayed up this year as long as he did and got the playing time over Buck in the regular season. And with the setbacks he had in the minors, he'll be 26 in May next year, his clock is officially beginning in the majors. Zero reason he goes back to AAA.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:49 pm 

I think the problem with Byrd is that he is probably going to want multiple years. You really can't give him any more than 2, with second year maybe ending in a bench role when Palonco is ready.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:50 pm 

val wrote:
The question is: why wouldn't anyone not want him to stay.

I don't think you'll find anyone who simply doesn't want him to stay. You'll find people who would be cautious about doing so for the wrong price and/or contract length given that he's 36 and just posted a career year following a stint with PED use. If you can get him on a one-year deal I think you do it in a heartbeat and let Polanco take all the time he needs in AAA. But would that be enough for Byrd himself? Again coming off of that career year I don't think it's guaranteed that he skips the FA market in order to come back at a discounted one year rate. He has the value to ask for a lot more. Realistically it's probably going to take more money and a multi-year deal. I hope I'm wrong and they can keep him for one year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 pm 

I would rather have Byrd be our right fielder than AJ be our No. 3 pitcher. If we could get both, great.

First base is the biggest issue on this team. End of story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm 

Would Corey Hart be worth checking out? He had a solid 2012, spent this season rehabbing his knees, and could be the RH power bat at 1B we need. Plus he knows the NL, specifically our division.

You sign him, and Byrd-man back for RF and you added a lot of power for the full season. Tabata can be the 4th OF and Polanco wouldn't be rushed at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:38 pm 

You know who would look good at 1b next year?

Adam Laroche.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:59 pm 

Animal wrote:

Adam Laroche.

You spelled Garrett Jones wrong.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm 

BBF wrote:
Animal wrote:

Adam Laroche.

You spelled Garrett Jones wrong.

:lol:

LOL

I still think GJ has value to this team as a 1b/OF....depending on the price.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:14 pm 

As far as the outfield goes, I think much of that hinges on what the Pirates think they have with Lambo. He didn't hit a ton while he was here, but I never saw him overmatched. If the Pirates don't think he is ready or ever will be ready, I think they go after Byrd. Tabata would be an expensive 4th OF, but Lambo would be a cheap starter, so that's a trade-off. If Byrd stays, I expect Tabata goes just to free up payroll and Lambo stays as the 4th OF. I don't think the Pirates would risk the regression of the team by playing Tabata full-time.

Regarding 1B, Morneau was OK for the stretch run and I was OK with taking the shot, but what I saw was a guy who had adjusted for a loss of bat speed and became an opposite field hitter. I would like to see us go after Abreu or Morales and keep one of Gaby or Garrett, but not both.

As far as the starters go, I would love to see AJ stay, but I think he will go. If he was on the cliff before, we pushed him over...not that I disagree with the decision to start Cole, but this was AJs team until about August this year, and I think he is taking this far more personally than many think. What I really think will happen with him is he will "retire" and become the next in a series of gunslingers who signs with a contender in mid-season. Maybe we will be that contender, maybe not...cooler heads will have prevailed by then.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
Animal wrote:

I think McKenry is done in Pittsburgh. He's bad behind the dish and his bat was awful this year. Great guy but it's probably time to go in a different direction.

I ran into McKenry's brother last week and he said that the players insisted that The Fort travel with them in the playoffs. He really is a great guy, but sadly, I think the writing is on the wall.

I hope he can land somewhere and maybe platoon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:04 pm 

I don't see any reason McKenry can't be in the organization next year. If he doesn't make the Pirates, go to Indy and give us some depth. It's hard for your catchers to go the entire season without injury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:12 pm 

That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure he has an option left.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Go: Justin Morneau, Marlon Byrd, Garrett Jones, Gaby Sanchez, John Buck
Stay: A.J. Burnett (the Pirates should slap the $14M qualifying offer on him), Jose Tabata (4th OF), Clint Barmes (back-up SS, 1 year, $1.5M)
Sign: Jose Dariel Abreu (4 years, $44M), Travis Hafner (1 year, $2M), David DeJesus (2 years, $8M)

Probable 2014 Opening Day Lineup:

1 -- Starling Marte, LF
2 -- David DeJesus, RF
3 -- Andrew McCutchen, CF
4 -- Pedro Alvarez, 3B
5 -- Jose Abreu, 1B
6 -- Neil Walker, 2B
7 -- Russell Martin, C
8 -- Jordy Mercer, SS
9 -- Gerrit Cole, P

Bench: Tony Sanchez (C), Jose Tabata (OF), Travis Hafner (1B), Clint Barmes (SS), Josh Harrison (UTIL)
Rotation: Gerrit Cole, Francisco Liriano, A.J. Burnett, Charlie Morton, Wandy Rodriguez/Jeff Locke
Bullpen: Stolmy Pimentel, Jeanmar Gomez, Vin Mazzaro, Justin Wilson, Tony Watson, Mark Melancon, Jason Grilli

Hafner and Dejesus? Seriously? Hafner hit 202 and Dejesus hit 250 with 8 home runs. how is that different than Gabby, Jones and Tabata ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next