Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm still calling it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 pm 

I've said it before this series even began. Justin Morneau's first homerun as a PIrate is going to be HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE!

I'm standing by that!

Post subject: Re: I'm still calling it.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 pm 

Corsair wrote:
I've said it before this series even began. Justin Morneau's first homerun as a PIrate is going to be HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE!

I'm standing by that!

I know...I keep thinking he HAS to hit one as a Pirate. I think I've said that the last 4 or 5 times he has batted, so maybe tonight is the night...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

PirateParrot wrote:
Corsair wrote:

I'm standing by that!

I know...I keep thinking he HAS to hit one as a Pirate. I think I've said that the last 4 or 5 times he has batted, so maybe tonight is the night...

..Uhhh tonight is gonna *HAVE* to be the night.. :-)

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
PirateParrot wrote:
Corsair wrote:

I'm standing by that!

..Uhhh tonight is gonna *HAVE* to be the night.. :-)

Not necessarily :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:07 am 

His last at bat was a solidly struck base hit to the pull side. Certainly didn't see many of those from him.

He added next to nothing, as Starling Archer predicted. Good riddance.

He still has some hits left in that bat, but he is not a fit for our club.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:41 pm 

I wouldn't mind if they re-signed him for next year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:43 pm 

I'd rather have them groom Lambo for 1B. I'm not sure there's going to be any room in the outfield for him and his bat will need to be in the lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I can see the Bucs giving Lambo a shot to platoon with Tabata in RF until Polanco is ready in July or so.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:10 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:
I'd rather have them groom Lambo for 1B. I'm not sure there's going to be any room in the outfield for him and his bat will need to be in the lineup.

I don't hate the idea but I don't love it either. He's certainly a better internal 1B option than anyone else but I'd love to see the Pirates try and reduce the strikeouts on the roster.

Loney is set to be a FA after this season. He hits righties well and had a nice season after a terrible 2012. I wouldn't mind seeing him for the right price, especially since a platoon would be ideal (but not totally necessary). Does anyone have an idea of what Gaby is set to make in arbitration?

Morales is an option too, though signing him would do little to reduce the strikeouts on the roster.

Edit: Didn't see the other thread about next year's team.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

I don't hate the idea but I don't love it either. He's certainly a better internal 1B option than anyone else but I'd love to see the Pirates try and reduce the strikeouts on the roster.

Loney is set to be a FA after this season. He hits righties well and had a nice season after a terrible 2012. I wouldn't mind seeing him for the right price, especially since a platoon would be ideal (but not totally necessary). Does anyone have an idea of what Gaby is set to make in arbitration?

Morales is an option too, though signing him would do little to reduce the strikeouts on the roster.

Yeah, there aren't a ton of 1B options.

Loney, Morales, Morneau and Smoak appear to be the best of the bunch. Of those, Morales and Morneau fit the AL 1B/DH mold.

Smoak is a journeyman with average OBP. Lambo (or GFJ) could probably produce at an equal level. Loney is a wild card. Has he finally figured things out or was it just a one year blip?

Abreu is the best option. He will co$t though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:

Yeah, there aren't a ton of 1B options.

Loney, Morales, Morneau and Smoak appear to be the best of the bunch. Of those, Morales and Morneau fit the AL 1B/DH mold.

Smoak is a journeyman with average OBP. Lambo (or GFJ) could probably produce at an equal level. Loney is a wild card. Has he finally figured things out or was it just a one year blip?

Abreu is the best option. He will co$t though...

Morales will receive and reject a qualifying offer, thus costing us our first round draft pick.

Doesn't seem like NH's MO to forfeit that, though he did trade away a comp pick for Gaby.