Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Win or Lose
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 am 

I was talking last night with a friend about the reality of this elimination playoff game.

1. I remembered how much I missed caring about late season baseball.
2. If the Pirates lose I wonder if they will celebrate a great season (downtown rally) or simply do what the loser does and go home?
3. Is it ok to celebrate? We never really got to celebrate the end of the streak, pennant race and all.
4. If we win tonight, well I've seen Money Ball more than once and it ends the same every time.
5. If the Pirates win can we compete with line ups like the Dodgers and Red Sux put out there? Very long shot!

The biggest question of them all is: Charmed seasons like this don't come around often for anyone. When this season ends, Will we ever get back here? Its been forever already.

Win or lose tonight, Thanks Pirates for a great summer.

Post subject: Re: Win or Lose
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 am 

hopefull for a win, but if they lose I look forward to next year, at the very least we gained tons of experience and tasted some serious winning, next year (and again, we have a 50/50 shot to win tonight) we are kicking doors in, kicking a$$ and taking names.

absolutely no to the celebration, they have celebrated twice already this year, they dont need to celebrate a loss, believe me, they will be getting tons of recognition in the offseason with interviews and feel good stories.

BEAT 'EM BUCS!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 am 

Is it OK to celebrate if we lose? Absolutely. Only one team wins it's final game, well, of those that make the playoffs. And let's face it, we're still mostly in moral victory mode for this season. We broke the streak, which alone would have made this a successful season in my book, and we didn't collapse down the stretch, which would have tarnished said success even if we'd broken .500. We won a one-game playoff by dominating the heck out of the Reds and had one of the more electric nights in baseball. Ever. And we're playing Game 5 vs the Cards and we've acquitted ourselves pretty well. Our acquisitions have been pretty strong, Animal's animus for Morneau aside, so we made the team better. Good enough to weather the loss of Wandy, the non-return of MacDonald and the uneven seasons of Marte, Walker and Pedro.

Yeah. I'm going to celebrate this season, regardless of the outcome of tonight's game. Maybe that's why I'm so calm. For me, it's like we're playing with house money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 am 
 WWW  Profile

In Bradenton, they will celebrate for sure. Wait till Spring Training 2014 - you will see some SERIOUS celebrating no matter how it ends this year.
Hope fully that will translate to more butts in seats for the Marauders as well.

We're obviously hoping for the win tonight and to advance further into the playoffs.
It's Christmas day for Pittsburgh (and the affiliates) and we're ready to open our gifts tonight

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:35 am 

It's been a helluva ride, folks...

1. I don't think I've ever felt as anxious about sports as I do about playoff baseball. Maybe it's the slower pace, the deliberate at-bats, or the nature of the sport, but man, it's stressful. Fun, but stressful.

2. This season should be celebrated no matter what happens tonight. I hope the Pirates release a 7-hour video recapping the 2013 campaign. I'd buy it. Hell, I'd buy two.

3. YES.

4. If the Pirates win tonight, we get another great week of playoff anxiety. That would be awesome.

5. The Pirates would be underdogs against the Dodgers, but not prohibitive ones. After Greinke and Kershaw, the Pirates have better No. 3 and 4 starters, which could tilt the series in our boys' direction when it moves back to Pittsburgh. And the Dodgers' lineup isn't as consistent or threatening as the Cardinals' lineup. As for the Red Sox, I have no clue, but I would be dancing in the streets if the Pirates made it to the World Series.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:39 am 

This team is already a winner. Erased 20 years of losing and have been competitive though the playoffs thus far. Playing with house money.

I keep hearing Lou Brown's voice:

" So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat."

raise it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:35 am 

The Rotten One wrote:

ParrotLuv wrote:
I keep hearing Lou Brown's voice:

" So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat."

raise it!

J_C_Steel wrote:
It's been a helluva ride, folks...

Agree on all points. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:37 pm 

I, for one, hope for a Team Celebration Rally at the end of the season, whenever that! Hopefully, it's a couple days after a WIN! But if not, we celebrate a GREAT season.

I do think this team, based on its pitching alone, has enough to compete with Dodgers, Red Sox, whoever. I am not looking it up, but didn't the Cards have the best record in baseball? We have competed with them.

Go Bucs. Gonna be exciting game tonight, either way.

I predict they win on a hit from a somewhat surprising source. Walker, Tabata, Sanchez, or Buck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm 

Animal wrote:
I predict they win on a hit from a somewhat surprising source. Walker, Tabata, Sanchez, or Buck.

Morneau??? :o

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:53 pm 

val wrote:
Animal wrote:

Morneau??? :o

That's a possibility, and that would be a REAL SURPRISING SOURCE. I keep waiting for him to do SOMETHING! I guess he is due. I think Walker is due too. Maybe GJ comes up with a big pinch hit? I don't really care WHO it is!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:22 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
I remembered how much I missed caring about late season baseball.

Charmed seasons like this don't come around often for anyone.

...Its been forever already.

Well said.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27 pm 

This is a good team. A very good team. Excellent pitching, deep bullpen, solid defense, decent bench, some good bats (Cutch, Byrd, Pedro), good L/R ratio for the hitters, solid L/R choices in the pen.

That is the guiding force behind my view of this season - this team is good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 pm 

I'm strangely serene today and I think it's because my expectations for tonight are limited. I'm hoping upon hope for a good result but I'm not expecting it. A win wouldn't shock me and a loss wouldn't shock me. I think that I'm still suffering from the PSTD that I contracted after my weekend in St Louis.

If it's close after 5 innings, we've got a real good chance of winning. If they fall behind early, I think that the result will be unpleasant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:35 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'm strangely serene today and I think it's because my expectations for tonight are limited. I'm hoping upon hope for a good result but I'm not expecting it. A win wouldn't shock me and a loss wouldn't shock me. I think that I'm still suffering from the PSTD that I contracted after my weekend in St Louis.

If it's close after 5 innings, we've got a real good chance of winning. If they fall behind early, I think that the result will be unpleasant.

You must be if you're suffering from PSTD ;)