Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Attendance Discrepancy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:46 pm 

Has anyone else noticed how the A's and Rays (and to a lesser extent the Bucs) have seen sell out crowds in the postseason despite being notorious for having sparse crowds during the regular season?

It helps to make the case that there is a large dedicated television/internet/radio fanbase who would rather not spend time/money on a less than worthwhile regular season experience.

Might new stadiums help those markets or is this more a result of ease of access in the regular season vs. 'can't miss' playoffs?

Post subject: Re: Attendance Discrepancy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:54 am 
 WWW  Profile

There should be a rule about new stadium construction - they can only hold 20,000 fans maximum and no seats in the outfield. They all have to be 'green screen' so cheering fans can be added during the game to look like a full stadium.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:19 am 

Season is way too long. I've said for a while they need to have the World Series in late August. 162 games makes the vast majority of the regular season uninteresting, unless your team hasn't had a winning season in 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:23 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
It helps to make the case that there is a large dedicated television/internet/radio fanbase who would rather not spend time/money on a less than worthwhile regular season experience.

I don't think that is the case at all. According to MLB: 2,256,862 people attended Pirates games this summer. Spread out over 81 games (some with bad weather, some on school nights), that's nothing to sneeze at. A one-game baseball wildcard playoff game is a concentration of all of those 81 games boiled down to one.

I agree that the season is way, way too long. But there is definitely interest in the regular season when over 2 million people come to the games.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:49 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Might new stadiums help those markets or is this more a result of ease of access in the regular season vs. 'can't miss' playoffs?

Mainly this, I'd imagine. The regular vs. postseason comparison is what it is. 8 out of 30 teams making the playoffs is something special and people want that prestige to have those memories "I was at this series ...", etc. I live in a city where I enjoy going to see our AA-level minor league hockey team, you can routinely go on a weeknight and see sub-2000 crowds. They have won two championships in the past decade where the championship series sold out at 11K+. Winning just is what it is when it comes to fan support, especially with the bandwagon-types which no team/city/sport is immune to.

I'll never understand the Tampa thing, honestly. My grandparents lived in the St. Petersburgh, FL area outside of Tampa about ten years ago and I took in a game at the Trop. This was obviously still the early, post-expansion days so it was the atmosphere of a hopeless team lead by Lou Pinella where fans went to a game just to see how many bases a young Carl Crawford would steal. Al Martin was also on that team, believe it or not. Even then I enjoyed the atmosphere. I don't like domes in general, but I thought the Trop was a perfectly fine stadium and you can't argue with petting live stingrays. The fact that they still draw so little a decade later with all of the recent success, the low payroll FO's reputation, "Joe Maddon the mad scientist" etc. is just mind-boggling. I guess accessibility-wise it is kind of odd in relation to the rest of the city, but you don't see that affecting other stadiums/fanbases.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

I don't think that is the case at all. According to MLB: 2,256,862 people attended Pirates games this summer. Spread out over 81 games (some with bad weather, some on school nights), that's nothing to sneeze at. A one-game baseball wildcard playoff game is a concentration of all of those 81 games boiled down to one.

I agree that the season is way, way too long. But there is definitely interest in the regular season when over 2 million people come to the games.

Well, there's two ways of looking at this.

The first is that you are right, 2.256 million attendance is pretty good, and an almost 30% increase in attendance from the decade immediately preceding the Hurdle era. And for most teams that are not the Dodgers and the BoSox, the big attendance gains come the year after success. So next year should be pretty good.

However, we were still 19th in attendance and 3 million is still the gold standard, usually accomplished by 8-10 teams per season over the past decade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 pm 

val wrote:

However, we were still 19th in attendance and 3 million is still the gold standard, usually accomplished by 8-10 teams per season over the past decade.

Back of the envelope calculation- 3 million divided by 81 home dates is over 37,000 fans per game. Since 36,000 and change is a sellout at PNC, we'd have to have a SRO crowd every single game to hit that.

If that's the gold standard, I guess we're silver.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 pm 

Sawx have an enormous national fanbase that travels notoriously well, and Tampa is just a few hours up the Gulf Coast from Boston's spring training home in Ft. Myers. Have to think those are huge factors in attendance at the Trop.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

Last edited by LtCol Kojak Slaphead on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:11 pm 

BBF wrote:
val wrote:

Back of the envelope calculation- 3 million divided by 81 home dates is over 37,000 fans per game. Since 36,000 and change is a sellout at PNC, we'd have to have a SRO crowd every single game to hit that.

If that's the gold standard, I guess we're silver.

Not too quibble too much, since your point is valid, but I thought the advertised capacity of PNC was 38,500.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm 

You have to think some cities have tourists that go to the game just to go...don't think Pittsburgh is a big tourist city yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 pm 

RTJR wrote:
Season is way too long. I've said for a while they need to have the World Series in late August. 162 games makes the vast majority of the regular season uninteresting, unless your team hasn't had a winning season in 20 years.

150 games.

No days off. Expand rosters to make up for giving players days off.