Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Time (good news)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

Since the Dodgers beat the Braves last night they moved the game to 8:07 EST. We can all watch the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

Post subject: Re: Game Time (good news)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 am 

Plus!, the weather in St. Louis (according to NOAA) will be beautiful...High of 76 degrees and Sunny!

Also, a plus (as far as my mind can figure it), after facing Mr. Wacha Monday night, Mr. Wainwright might seem "human" to the Pirate bats!

It will boil down to can the Pirate bats score enough runs against Wainwright and the rest of the Cardinal pitchers to WIN the game?

Here's to hoping they can! GO COLE! (KING COLE!) GO BUCCOS!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:29 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
Plus!, the weather in St. Louis (according to NOAA) will be beautiful...High of 76 degrees and Sunny!

Also, a plus (as far as my mind can figure it), after facing Mr. Wacha Monday night, Mr. Wainwright might seem "human" to the Pirate bats!

It will boil down to can the Pirate bats score enough runs against Wainwright and the rest of the Cardinal pitchers to WIN the game?

Here's to hoping they can! GO COLE! (KING COLE!) GO BUCCOS!!!!!!

I think that replacing Marte and Morneau Wednesday would go a long way to helping improve the offense!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm 

Morneau? Pittsburgh Kid is the only starter without a hit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

I think Morneau ran over Animal's dog when he came into Pittsburgh.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 pm 

I bet we would have more baserunners for the big dogs with Tabata and Harrison starting. Hate to say thatas i like both Marte and Walker but fear its true.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I gotta believe Marte is due to start hitting better.

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 pm 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
I gotta believe Marte is due to start hitting better.

Yeah, I hope, but the problem is that a 5-game sample is by definition a small sample size.

Therefore, what the player should do over the course of 162 games has vastly less relevance to the analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Nah, he was just riding in Lastings Milledge's car when Lastings ran it over. While Doumit cheered them on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:49 pm 

BBF wrote:
Nah, he was just riding in Lastings Milledge's car when Lastings ran it over. While Doumit cheered them on.

Yes, but to be fair to Animal, Milledge was relying upon Morneau's directions at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:09 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yeah, but there is not a better option than the kid! He was one of our hottest hitters at the end of the year, as was Tabata, who could replace Marte right now.

And anybody could do what Morneau has done the past month, which is absolutely NOTHING!.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 pm 

Animal wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yeah, but there is not a better option than the kid! He was one of our hottest hitters at the end of the year, as was Tabata, who could replace Marte right now.

And anybody could do what Morneau has done the past month, which is absolutely NOTHING!.

Would we really want to lose on Tabata making an error in the outfield? I really don't trust his glove at all. Terrible routes to balls in the gaps too. He has swung the bat better, but suspect defense isn't something we can have in a game 5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Animal wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Would we really want to lose on Tabata making an error in the outfield? I really don't trust his glove at all. Terrible routes to balls in the gaps too. He has swung the bat better, but suspect defense isn't something we can have in a game 5.

His defense has been fine the latter part of the season when he was playing more. In fact, it's Marte's defense that has been suspect the latter part of the season. Funny, you should mention losing because of defense, but that is EXACTLY what we did when Marte dropped a simple pop-up, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:17 pm 

BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

Yeah, I was wrong on both of those. Milledge and Doumit are the ultimate superstars in this league. Bucs missed the boat on those losers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:43 pm 

Animal wrote:

His defense has been fine the latter part of the season when he was playing more. In fact, it's Marte's defense that has been suspect the latter part of the season. Funny, you should mention losing because of defense, but that is EXACTLY what we did when Marte dropped a simple pop-up, right?[/quote]

Yes.

But has Tabata ever shown flashes of fielding greatness like Marte? The bazooka for an arm? No on both counts.

Tabata is a 4th outfielder. Marte is the future and has a whole lot of tools that we hoped Tabata had. He's had his chances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Animal wrote:

His defense has been fine the latter part of the season when he was playing more. In fact, it's Marte's defense that has been suspect the latter part of the season. Funny, you should mention losing because of defense, but that is EXACTLY what we did when Marte dropped a simple pop-up, right?

Yes.

But has Tabata ever shown flashes of fielding greatness like Marte? The bazooka for an arm? No on both counts.

Tabata is a 4th outfielder. Marte is the future and has a whole lot of tools that we hoped Tabata had. He's had his chances.[/quote]

No, but Tabata has shown the ability to NOT strike out every other at bat...or to chase horrible pitches. Yes, I agree 100% that Marte is the future, but I want to win NOW, not in the future, and I think at this point, Tabata gives us a better chance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 pm 

Animal wrote:

Yeah, I was wrong on both of those. Milledge and Doumit are the ultimate superstars in this league. Bucs missed the boat on those losers.

Not once was any of your criticism focused on their on-field performance.

Your criticism of Milledge, was in fact, wrong. You had him confused with Elijah Dukes and were accusing him of Dukes' crimes. You also said he would ruin McCutchen and turn him into a thug. Not so much, huh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:56 pm 

BBF wrote:
Animal wrote:

Not once was any of your criticism focused on their on-field performance.

Your criticism of Milledge, was in fact, wrong. You had him confused with Elijah Dukes and were accusing him of Dukes' crimes. You also said he would ruin McCutchen and turn him into a thug. Not so much, huh?

WRONG. I did not think Milledge was a good ball player at all...and while many of their problems were indeed similar, there was no confusing him with Dukes..he had criminal troubles, teammate troubles, and questions about his attitude, effort, etc. And management DID see him as a bad influence on Cutch. Trust me. That's is one of many reasons he was gone so quickly...but then again, you are free to believe whatever you want. That's why we live in America!

And yes, my criticism of Doumit had as much to do with his night life and partying when he should have been dedicating himself more to baseball....and while Doumit has turned into a decent ballplayer, I constantly wonder if he could have been better or realized his full potential a little more had he been working harder instead of out partying. That's me. That's my opinion. Certainly, some fans don't care about things like this, about my team having "good guys" on it, about players making asses out of themselves in bars. I do. Sorry if my that's not the way you like your players.

And I find it even funnier that here we are with a winning team, on the cusp of the championship series, and many of you want to dredge up old bums like these guys.

Back to the point at hand, Morneau is a great guy, a great teammate, consummate professional, good leader....so much more than Milledge or Doumit could EVER be! I love him on this team. I'd love to see him as one of our first pinch hitters. I would LOVE if we had Justin Morneau of of 4-5 years ago, instead of this old, washed-up version who had a horrible year, except for one month. I just don't like him playing every day or hitting cleanup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:25 am 

Animal, you forget that Tabata had a terrible at bat in game 4.

In the playoffs, you have to put the most talented players you have on the field. Marte is more talented than Tabata and gives us the best chance to win. Suppose there is a play at the plate with the throw coming from left. Who do you want making that throw, Tabata or Marte? He also has better base stealing speed than Tabata.

Even if he is slumping, you have to put your most talented players on the field in a playoff game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
Animal, you forget that Tabata had a terrible at bat in game 4.

In the playoffs, you have to put the most talented players you have on the field. Marte is more talented than Tabata and gives us the best chance to win. Suppose there is a play at the plate with the throw coming from left. Who do you want making that throw, Tabata or Marte? He also has better base stealing speed than Tabata.

Even if he is slumping, you have to put your most talented players on the field in a playoff game.

You're right about the terrible at bat for Tabata in game 4 Bucfan.
How many terrible at bats has Marte had in the series? A lot more than 4.

...and I have also seen some shoddy defensive play from Marte in this series.