Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ANIMAL'S STARS and GOAT for NLDS Game 4...NEED A LITTLE HELP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 pm 

WOW!!!! Another great game today if you love baseball, despite the outcome. Wacha is amazing. About the only real good things you can say about the Bucs' performance is that Morton pitched well enough to win and Pedro kept them from being no-hit!

STARTER: Morton was good....good enough to win. Walks hurt him today more than usual. 5 2/3 innings, just 3 hits, but 4 walks. 2 Runs. I am calling this a GOOD START, despite the result

LOSS: Morton takes the loss, to drop to 0-1 in playoffs. ERA respectable 3.18.

Honorable Mention: Mazzarro comes in after Morton got into some trouble, down 2-0 and runner on first, and gets out without any further damage!

Star # 3: Melancon seemed to get it back together..pitching a solid top of the 9th, after the Bucs had pulled to one run, keeping it a one-run game, striking out 2.

STAR #2: Justin Wilson gave us 2 very solid innings, keeping it just a 2-run deficit, striking out 3.

STAR #1: Pedro was our only offense, breaking up the No-Hitter and the shutout with a MONSTER HR that pulled us to within one! He also played some very solid defense. Is he in one of those streaks again, or is he maturing to the point where we can begin to count on him more and more??

PLAYOFF STAR POINTS
Pedro 12.5
Liriano 10.5
Cole 7.0
Byrd 3.5
Cutch 3
Martin 3.0
Gomez 2.5
Melancon 2.5
Grilli 2.0
Wilson 2.0
Marte 1.0
Watson 1.0
PNC Crowd 1.0
Morton 1.0
Mazzarro .05
Morneau .5
Harrison .5
Burnett (-4.0)

GOAT: Now for the tough part. The Goat! I hate the thought of giving it to Morton. I guess ultimately, the walk and HR hurt, but he pitched well enough to win, but he didn't. Is he the goat? What about Marte, who went 0-4, with a K, some really bad swings and misses yet again, and stranding a runner on base. Harrison, who came in as pinch runner, representing the tying run and was thrown out stealing second (which I believe was probably a hit-and-run that did not work), but still. Or Cutch?? 0-4, with a K and a couple really weak pop ups, including the one that ended the game with the tying run on base? Or Byrd...0-3 with 3 K's? That's it, board members..give me your Goat Vote..Morton, Marte, Cutch, Harrison, or Byrd? Make your vote and I will tally them up tomorrow afternoon. Now, let's go out and get them birds on Wednesday!

Last edited by Animal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ANIMALS STARS and GOAT for NLDS Game 4....NEED A LITTLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:32 pm 

No way is Morton the Goat. Honestly, the whole offense deserves it, but if you have to pick one player - I think's it's Josh Harrison. Now, he might have been running on orders, but the execution was piss-poor i.e. the slide. That out was the biggest play of the game. It stopped our momentum and took an at-bat away from one of our hitters. The result might have been the same or maybe not. We will never know. What I do know, is it was stupid play and unnecessary.

Post subject: Re: ANIMALS STARS and GOAT for NLDS Game 4....NEED A LITTLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
No way is Morton the Goat. Honestly, the whole offense deserves it, but if you have to pick one player - I think's it's Josh Harrison. Now, he might have been running on orders, but the execution was piss-poor i.e. the slide. That out was the biggest play of the game. It stopped our momentum and took an at-bat away from one of our hitters. The result might have been the same or maybe not. We will never know. What I do know, is it was stupid play and unnecessary.

I was thinking of making "The Offense" a choice, but everyone would have taken the easy way out and picked that. I want the board to think hard about it, give your vote and your reason..and I am with you in two respects. I don't think Morton deserves it, and I am leaning towards Harrison or Cutch, personally.

Post subject: Re: ANIMAL'S STARS and GOAT for NLDS Game 4...NEED A LITTLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 pm 

Harrison, or Hurdle who okayed that steal attempt against Molina. Stupid, stupid move

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:44 pm 

Making Cutch the goat seems like a cop out.

Aside from Pedro, literally nobody else was hitting. So singling the MVP out for trying to make something happen and swinging seems like a reach.

If you need to find a goat Harrison and/or Tabata are probably slightly less of a reach. Harrison was the unfortunate runner left for dead when Tabata couldn't make contact on a hit and run. Seems like those two should share horns for blowing a 'routine' play.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:47 pm 

Well, if Hurdle were an option for goat, he would seem like a good call... But then again, if the hit and run worked, he would have been a genius!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:41 am 

There is just no goat here. Morton pitched well enough to get a W and was no goat. There was no error that cost us, so everyone except the bull didn't hit. No goat just no hero tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am 

My goat is your league MVP.

Why did he swing at the 3 - 1 pitch? Why isnt he taking there? Not only because that pitch was at the very edge of the strike zone (Pitch tracker shows ball) and 50/50 to be called ball 4, Pushing the tying run to second, but because even if its a strike you gain the benefit of being able to give walker a head start.

The pitch is OUTSIDE! Have a **# plan. you are the teams big star. you cant go up there and throw your bat at a ball that is hanging on the outside corner. He didn't "just miss it". He hit it off the end of the bat. It was a give in swing. Make him throw something center in to beat you. If he doesnt....Jog to first.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:24 pm 

Looking at the goat votes... I am going with 1/2 Harrison, 1/2 Cutch. Other votes Harrison 2 1/2, Cutch 1, Tabata 1/s.

So, going with the majority, giving the goat to HARRISOn.

PLAYOFF STAR POINTS
Pedro 12.5
Liriano 10.5
Cole 7.0
Byrd 3.5
Cutch 3
Martin 3.0
Gomez 2.5
Melancon 2.5
Grilli 2.0
Wilson 2.0
Marte 1.0