Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get your Pop Corn and get set for Drama
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:52 pm 

Just wait until Hurdle announces that he's skipping Burnett and going with Cole.

Post subject: Re: Get your Pop Corn and get set for Drama
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 pm 

really tuff decision but the right on in my mind. If he does though, we can kiss Burnett goodbye, he'll take that as a slap in the face.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:14 pm 

Hurdle has made no such announcement, and I don't think he will.

He is going to go with Burnett, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:19 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Ballsy move.

I am energized!!

@#$% Wainwright, he will be the second best SP'er come Wednesday!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:23 pm 

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Hurdle told Burnett.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:00 pm 

Please don't take it personal, A.J. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm 

I want AJ to take it personally, and come back next year determined to get the ball in the first game of the playoffs!!! I want that from him!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 pm 

Not trying to be a contrarian for the heck of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Burnett took the news well and professionally. 7 ER in 2 IP is what it is. If he didn't at least have this hypothetical in the back of his head he probably wasn't being realistic to himself. And just a guess, but with Hurdle making the announcement at the post-game press conference of today's game, I assume that it had been talked about or at least broached with the players before now, even if it only to say that it was 50/50 up in the air. With all of the storylines this season about him mentoring Locke, etc. I doubt he lost his cool. And who knows, if he really is planning on retiring after his season, perhaps he didn't want the added pressure of potentially being the pitcher who single-handedly lost the Pirates the series (or so the media will make it out to be if he struggles badly for a second time).

Of course, I could be completely wrong as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 pm 

I want AJ to realize that with his history in SL and how Cole pitched there, that this is best for the team. Then I want AJ to be lights out in game 1 of NLCS!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:08 pm 

Animal wrote:
I want AJ to realize that with his history in SL and how Cole pitched there, that this is best for the team. Then I want AJ to be lights out in game 1 of NLCS!

I second the motion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 pm 

Having thought on this a little now, this is a 'reverse Strasburg'.

I liked it before, now even more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 am 

TheShark wrote:
Not trying to be a contrarian for the heck of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if Burnett took the news well and professionally. 7 ER in 2 IP is what it is. If he didn't at least have this hypothetical in the back of his head he probably wasn't being realistic to himself. And just a guess, but with Hurdle making the announcement at the post-game press conference of today's game, I assume that it had been talked about or at least broached with the players before now, even if it only to say that it was 50/50 up in the air. With all of the storylines this season about him mentoring Locke, etc. I doubt he lost his cool. And who knows, if he really is planning on retiring after his season, perhaps he didn't want the added pressure of potentially being the pitcher who single-handedly lost the Pirates the series (or so the media will make it out to be if he struggles badly for a second time).

Of course, I could be completely wrong as well.

The reason hurdle didnt announce it until after the game is because he hoped he wouldnt have too. He knows AJ wouldnt take it well.

Personally I would be more concerned if he did take it well. He is a competitor and Professional major league pitcher. There is a certain fire that burns in the belly that goes along with that. If that fire doesnt exist there in his belly then we would have never had that STFD moment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:36 am 

AJ has gotten pissed when Hurdle has the bullpen warming up and he doesn't want to come out of the game. He has gotten pissed when Hurdle tells him that he's reached his pitch limit for the night and he's coming out of the game. AJ's a fiery competitor who wears his emotions on his sleeves.

Being told that Cole was getting the ball in the penultimate game of the NLDS instead of him . . . I'm willing to bet good money that he wasn't particularly thrilled to get the news. There is no other way to spin it . . . Hurdle feels as though the Pirates' best chance of winning is with Burnett on the bench and the rookie pitching. That wouldn't be easy news to receive for any athlete who wants to be "in the mix" when "all the marbles are on the line." For someone like AJ . . . I'm sure it was particularly maddening.

I hope he was ticked off. He wouldn't be AJ if he wasn't ticked off.

That being written, I like the call. The Cards may have seen Cole last week but I wouldn't call them "familiar" with him and Cole's strengths play better against the Cardinals' strengths than do Burnett's strengths.

Who knows? Maybe Cole lays an egg; maybe he'll be too amped up and his control suffers; maybe the Cards would've been overconfident if Burnett was on the mound and Burnett would've thrown a gem . . . all in all, I think its the right bet.

That being written, even if Cole throws a fantastic game, the offense must show up against a tough mound opponent. Its going to take a focused, strategic approach to hitting. Waino isn't going to rear back and throw fastball after fastball. If Waino is getting the curve ball across for strikes, the Pirates must buck the trend and figure out a way to hit the bender. Cole could throw an excellent game and it won't matter if the offense can't figure out Waino and get into the Cards' bullpen.

Just ask Cholly . . .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 am 

Cole is the right decision, but Hurdle is in a no win situation unless we win. He pitches Cole and we don't win, it should have been Burnett. If he had picked Burnett and we didn't win, he would have been wrong. The only answer - WIN on WEDNESDAY. Don't want the season to be over yet, has been a great ride.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:47 am 

We all must come to terms and understand that this could be the end of a great ride. Wainwright is rough even when he's off. I'll be saying my prayers and wishing the boys luck. I truly hope they come into this game relaxed and more focused than they've ever been as a team. Go bucs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:03 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I don't think anyone will question his use of Cole, what with AJ's numbers at St. Louis. Personally, if this game is just about anywhere else, Burnett goes.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 am 

I don't know how much the location is a factor, but clearly Cole gives you the best chance to win. This is no time to be worried about egos.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:01 am 

The Nationals roughed up Wainwright pretty bad last year in Game 5 of the NLDS... so there's that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
The Nationals roughed up Wainwright pretty bad last year in Game 5 of the NLDS... so there's that.

the reds roughed up wainwright the last two times they faced him, resulting in 0-10 and 2-7 losses, one game was in cincy the other in st. louie, if the reds can do it... re aj, i'm sure the news was a tough pill to swallow, especially given competitors such as aj always relish a chance to redeem themselves, to show/prove they can get the job done. that said, glad to see cole got the call. go bucs!