Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Observations From NLDS Game 3 at PNC Park
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:38 pm 

Crowd was nice, but not as electric as the Wild Card game. Turned out to be another record attendance, by two. So to think, my daughter and I made this record happen. Had we not attended, they would not have broken the record.

Nice rendition of the National Anthem by a country music star from Pittsburgh, although I never heard of her.

These playoff crowds seem to know their baseball. They cheered all the Bucs, but really cheered for some unsung heroes, like the Fort, Tony Sanchez, and even Jeanmar Gomez.

Liriano seemed to labor in the first, throwing a lot of pitches, but getting out of it okay. His pitch count went up quickly.

The KELLLLLL-EEEEEEE chants started in the first!

Cutch got it going with a walk. Morneau kept it going, and Byrd put us on the board in the first! Great start!

Marte did not look good at all...hasn't really looked good all series, other than his HR. He let a ball drop in front of him in the 3rd, which I really think he could have caught..then he non-chalented it so badly, Kozma turned it into a double. There was another ball hit later that it did not seem like Marte got a good enough jump on. I think it may be time to give Tabata a start tomorrow.

All the talk we have heard about the Cardinals and their clutch hitting...but Liriano seemed to get the big out when he needed it...and conversely, the Bucs seemed to come up with the big hit when we needed it.

From my vantage point, it looks like Jay was out at third on the double steal....but there was no argument, so I must have mis-perceived it! LOL Get that out there, and we may have had a shutout!

I can't understand why Tabata PH in the 6th with Garret Jones on the bench. Have they totally given up on him? Is he in Hurdle's doghouse? Hurdle talked a good game about GJ and his work ethic and his numbers being good against SL. Not sure I understood that one at all.

Mercer made a couple real nice plays.

Walker made a really nice play against Holliday in the 8th on the deflection off of Morneau, and Melancon did a nice job covering first...and it was a nice job from Mercer to turn the DP in teh 8th. Melancon got kinda lucky getting out of that inning with just the one run. I wonder if Hurdle will continue to use Melancon in the 8th throughout the rest of the playoffs. He has not looked real sharp over past few weeks.

Matt Adams is a big, big boy!

The squeeze play attempt in the 8th caught me totally off guard! Bucs did a great job getting the lead back and getting an insurance run. Very timely hitting.

And again, the entire crowd stayed till the end and long after cheering on the Bucs after the big win.

Oh, and one more thing...even with the huge, record crowd, most people stayed in their seats. The was no lines for the concessions and bathrooms like usual.

Oh, and one more thing yet...We close this series out tomorrow with a win! Go Bucs!

Post subject: Re: My Observations From NLDS Game 3 at PNC Park
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:08 am 

Animal wrote:
Marte did not look good at all...hasn't really looked good all series, other than his HR. He let a ball drop in front of him in the 3rd, which I really think he could have caught..

He lost the ball in the sun. The announcers spent a lot of time talking before the game on the broadcast about how the sun was going to be brutal in LF.

Animal wrote:
I can't understand why Tabata PH in the 6th with Garret Jones on the bench. Have they totally given up on him? Is he in Hurdle's doghouse? Hurdle talked a good game about GJ and his work ethic and his numbers being good against SL. Not sure I understood that one at all.

You might be over-thinking it. Why did Tabata PH instead of Jones? Because Tabata was a much better hitter than Jones this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am 

TheShark wrote:
Animal wrote:
Marte did not look good at all...hasn't really looked good all series, other than his HR. He let a ball drop in front of him in the 3rd, which I really think he could have caught..

He lost the ball in the sun. The announcers spent a lot of time talking before the game on the broadcast about how the sun was going to be brutal in LF.

Animal wrote:

You might be over-thinking it. Why did Tabata PH instead of Jones? Because Tabata was a much better hitter than Jones this year.

I thought the sun might be a possibility...but even after that, he wasn't hustling.

Tabata had a good year, but Hurdle is all about the righty-lefty for the most part. If you're not going to use Jones, why even have him on the roster then? Should have kept Snider.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:43 am 

Animal wrote:
Tabata had a good year, but Hurdle is all about the righty-lefty for the most part. If you're not going to use Jones, why even have him on the roster then? Should have kept Snider.

Jones made the roster because he's the back-up 1B if something happens to Morneau. Yes, Gaby is there, but he can only hit LHP (for late-inning PH opportunities). So if Morneau had gotten injured in game one with Snider on the roster instead of Jones, the Pirates would have basically forfeited having a 1B because Gaby would be facing a Cardinals rotation which is entire RHP. Not to mention he can also play Snider's position as well while being the better hitter, rendering Snider useless. So, he's there in an emergency back-up role in the same sense as John Buck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 am 

TheShark wrote:
Animal wrote:

Jones made the roster because he's the back-up 1B if something happens to Morneau. Yes, Gaby is there, but he can only hit LHP (for late-inning PH opportunities). So if Morneau had gotten injured in game one with Snider on the roster instead of Jones, the Pirates would have basically forfeited having a 1B because Gaby would be facing a Cardinals rotation which is entire RHP. Not to mention he can also play Snider's position as well while being the better hitter, rendering Snider useless. So, he's there in an emergency back-up role in the same sense as John Buck.

Yeah, whatever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

Animal wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Animal wrote:

Yeah, whatever

Further, Jones is on the roster because he's a Bucco. And quite frankly, maybe only for a few more games. If anything can be said for this franchise, it's that they have a sincere sense of loyalty. Garret Jones DESERVES to be on the roster, and at some point, somehow, deliver a gigantic moment this post season, should the need arise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:39 am 

I agree with you 100% Rochester, but I think it's ridiculous what they have done to him since the acquisition of Justin Morneau, who has NOT been all world as many here would like you to believe. Has GJ had a bad year? Absolutely. Is he still as likely to produce as Morneau? Again, absolutely and has had MORE production in September with half as many at bats.

But The Shardt can't see that, and takes any opportunity to he can to slam GJ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 am 

Jay was out at 3B, and there is simply no credible excuse for the umpire to have choked that call.

A player has 0.1 seconds to read the play, pick up the ball, and make the throw. The umpire can take his time, make sure everything is what he thought, and make the call.

Blown call:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 am 

Animal wrote:

First of all I'm not sure if you were trying to call me a name and misspelled it or what exactly by calling me "Shardt", but if it's the former, appreciate it.

Second of all, how am I slamming Jones? I was defending why he has a roster spot and saying he is more valuable than having Snider. And my reasoning for why he is on the roster is completely sound: he's the back-up 1B against RHP, just like he has been ever since Morneau was acquired. Pretty common sense. If you think me comparing him to Buck is too harsh or a "slam" on Jones then your problem should be with Clint Hurdle, not me. This isn't me a week ago talking about how Jones might hypothetically be used, it is how he has been used for 4 playoff games now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:52 am 

Animal wrote:
I agree with you 100% Rochester, but I think it's ridiculous what they have done to him since the acquisition of Justin Morneau, who has NOT been all world as many here would like you to believe. Has GJ had a bad year? Absolutely. Is he still as likely to produce as Morneau? Again, absolutely and has had MORE production in September with half as many at bats.

Why are you bagging on Morneau? The Dude is hitting 300 in the postseason.

Quote:
Marte did not look good at all...hasn't really looked good all series, other than his HR. He let a ball drop in front of him in the 3rd, which I really think he could have caught..then he non-chalented it so badly, Kozma turned it into a double. There was another ball hit later that it did not seem like Marte got a good enough jump on. I think it may be time to give Tabata a start tomorrow.

Dont mess with a streak!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am 

Morneau has been unlucky lately. He's been squaring up quite a few balls that are being turned into outs. I wish he would pull the ball more.