Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andruw Jones to be released Thursday
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:38 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I could see Andruw retiring before he accepts a minor league deal.

I agree. Im thinking a low ball major league deal heavy with incentives. And the problem with that is, if he plays poorly, youll see a replay of last years drama out in LA before he got hurt, where he will feel he deserves playing time no matter what and to lose it takes money out of his pocket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:40 pm 

You cannot drive the ball when you roll over. Many groundballs are the result. Lefties can throw a two seamer away and kill the guy..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:52 pm 

Has anyone seen a what seemed to be a Hall of Fame lock fall apart so quickly? Jeez...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:17 pm 

Kingston wrote:
I say we sign him. Im getting tired of referencing Burnitz as the dumbest thing we've ever done. Its time to move on.

Win. At least we would have another thing to laugh about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:53 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Geez, talk about pi$$ing away a career. Has he just figured he's made enough money and screw it? He's not that old, either. If some organization could figure out how to light a fire under him, I think they'd have a player.

I have a hard time believing that Jones's decline is a result of his attitude. The man is getting paid to play, and he probably knows that if he wants more money in the future, he should try to perform well. I find it more persuasive that he is just not physically capable of performing well anymore. It's not like the guy has the most athletic build a baseball player can have, and there are plenty of cases of non-athletic players declining faster than athletic players, especially in what some call "young player skills," like foot speed and hitting for contact. For an extreme case, see Kevin Maas. For a less extreme case, see Eric Chavez.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:05 pm 

Willton wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
Geez, talk about pi$$ing away a career. Has he just figured he's made enough money and screw it? He's not that old, either. If some organization could figure out how to light a fire under him, I think they'd have a player.

I have a hard time believing that Jones's decline is a result of his attitude. The man is getting paid to play, and he probably knows that if he wants more money in the future, he should try to perform well. I find it more persuasive that he is just not physically capable of performing well anymore. It's not like the guy has the most athletic build a baseball player can have, and there are plenty of cases of non-athletic players declining faster than athletic players, especially in what some call "young player skills," like foot speed and hitting for contact. For an extreme case, see Kevin Maas. For a less extreme case, see Eric Chavez.

Who knows what Chavez's skills are anymore, he spends 3/4 of the season on the disabled list...

I think his drop off in performance was due to drug testing...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:55 pm 

If Jones can turn it around, he's still an All Star caliber player.

If Monroe has a career year, he's a decent 4th outfielder.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:10 am 

Jeremy wrote:
If Jones can turn it around, he's still an All Star caliber player.

If Monroe has a career year, he's a decent 4th outfielder.

I agree 100% with that.
I think there is a better shot at Monroe being a a 4th outfield option then Jones being an all-star once again.
But can you base one bad season on his career.Thats why even if it was steroids i think hes both a shot.
Cause what if it wasn't the steroids hitting 40+ homers a year and it was the fact that he just had a bad year last year in a place where the media gets very hard on you right away if you don't start out hot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:44 am 

So bring them both to camp and let the chips fall where they may.

Look, if Jones gets 50 or so ABs under his belt and it's obvious that he just doesn't have it you can cut him and there's no harm done. It's not like the Bucs would be counting on him to patrol center and hit third. We already have enough decent outfielders that he isn't really needed.

All he is a reclamation project that, if healthy in July, could net a couple more minor leagues for thr system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:46 am 

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... sp&c_id=la

There it is Andruw Jones released by the Dodgers Thursday.
Do you think he was one of the most disappoiting big name big money players ever.
$18.1 million a year was his 2 year contract and he hit .158 , 3 HR's , 14 RBI's , .256 OBP , .249 SLG , 21 runs scored , 33 hits , 8 doubles , 1 triple , 27 walks , 76 strikeouts , 0 stolen bases in 75 games played and 209 at bats.
Everyone of those stats is lower than when he was a rookie with the Braves in 1996 and he only played in only 31 games played and 106 at bats.

I would like to know what you guys think?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:48 am 

Was anyone else aware that Craig Monroe's middle name is Keystone or that his mother's name is Marilyn Monroe?

Just some useless trivia to toss out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:51 am 

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... yerId=3520

Thats Andruw Jones career stats.
Look at how much better his 1996 season was than the one he had in 2008.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 am 

Colin21 wrote:
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090115&content_id=3746077&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

There it is Andruw Jones released by the Dodgers Thursday.
Do you think he was one of the most disappoiting big name big money players ever.
$18.1 million a year was his 2 year contract and he hit .158 , 3 HR's , 14 RBI's , .256 OBP , .249 SLG , 21 runs scored , 33 hits , 8 doubles , 1 triple , 27 walks , 76 strikeouts , 0 stolen bases in 75 games played and 209 at bats.
Everyone of those stats is lower than when he was a rookie with the Braves in 1996 and he only played in only 31 games played and 106 at bats.

I would like to know what you guys think?

Just another mistake in a line of free agent mistakes made by Ned Colletti. See Nomar Garciaparra's extension and the Juan Pierre contract. I also think that Dodger fans are going to ultimately regret the trade for Manny Ramirez.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:37 am 

I think that critizing Jones contract now is wrong. I think a lot of people were impressed with the terms of the contract: Colletti spent more money so that the Dodgers wouldn't be tied to him for too long if he didnt bounce back, but most felt like Jones was a good candidate to return to a previous level of performance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:41 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
I think that critizing Jones contract now is wrong. I think a lot of people were impressed with the terms of the contract: Colletti spent more money so that the Dodgers wouldn't be tied to him for too long if he didnt bounce back, but most felt like Jones was a good candidate to return to a previous level of performance.

Its legal to criticize the contract since Jones was released by the LA Dodgers essentially forcing them to pay his millions of dollars to play for another team. That is a collossal mistake. That money could have been used to retain the services of Manny for at least a few more years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:47 pm 

Or until Manny wanted to be paid more, was unhappy, felt disrespected, etc. and became mysteriously injured in a series against a division rival.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
Or until Manny wanted to be paid more, was unhappy, felt disrespected, etc. and became mysteriously injured in a series against a division rival.

That's a strictly objective analysis, right Chet? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:49 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090114&content_id=3744576&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

Mota in and Jones out.
He will be carrying a cheap price tag.
Do you think there is any chance we could see Andruw Jones in a Pirates Uniform in 2009?

I'd rather see Nyjer Morgan out there. Jones is through.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:53 pm 

Willton wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I suspect that there is little correlation between the date on Jones' birth certificate and his actual date of birth. How about you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:19 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Willton wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I suspect that there is little correlation between the date on Jones' birth certificate and his actual date of birth. How about you?

That was a big problem after September 11th...guys' ages were different, like Tejada...But they have still yet to prove how old Julio Franco is, since the printing press was not invented then.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next