All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedro
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Too bad Indy isn't still playing. They could use him..... :P

Post subject: Re: Pedro
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 pm 
 WWW  Profile

By the way, Scott Boras is working his abacus :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:03 pm 

Rochester wrote:

See also: Those who thought the season was over when the Pirates started 1-6.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 am 

TheShark wrote:
Rochester wrote:

See also: Those who thought the season was over when the Pirates started 1-6.

First of all it was 1-5, and I recall using the rather graphic metaphor of not giving up before the season had even completely exited the birth canal. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:44 am 

Too bad he could not tag out the runner on Martin's brilliant throw in the 5th inning. Wait ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:32 am 

Another added bonus to this season. No one can ever say "send him back to AAA" again.

I'm glad that I was always one of the people saying calm the hell down when he was being trashed and blamed for every loss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:45 am 

When you talk a guy up when he is getting lambasted by so many posters, it's real nice to see him come through in the big games. His slugging and OPS are out of sight.--- 2 homers and 4 RBIs in three games not counting the wild card heroics to get us here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:53 am 

I was never allowed to trash Pedro. He's the boys favorite player and what a threat he is. I was also glad to see Cutch get that extra bagger. Next up, Morneau putting one over the wall. Hopefully ground chuck has the nasty stuff working. Go bucs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am 

Leway512 wrote:
Another added bonus to this season. No one can ever say "send him back to AAA" again.

I'm glad that I was always one of the people saying calm the hell down when he was being trashed and blamed for every loss.

Oh, they will. During Pedro's first extended slump in 2014, someone will he hollering for Harrison to get some starts!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 pm 

WOW what a kick ass series he's having, and some nice defense too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:49 pm 

For all the marbles on Wednesday... I want Pedro hitting 4th.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:

Ditto. Should be plenty of sun light for most of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

I don't. We know about Pedro's psyche. Leave him where he has been comfortable and had recent success.

But I DO start Tabata instead of Marte...and I either replace Morneau, or drop him down behind Pedro in the batting order. I also go with Mercer on Wednesday. Tabata, Walker, Cutch, Byrd, Jones, Pedro, Martin, Mercer, Cole. If they insist on starting Morneau, I move Martin to 4 or 5, and put Morneau behind Pedro.

I don't understand why so many fans are willing to give Morneau a pass. He has done absolutely NOTHING as our cleanup hitter... In addition, Marte is great defensively and has speed, but Tabata outplayed him the last month. We NEED to win this game!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:11 am 

Animal wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I don't. We know about Pedro's psyche. Leave him where he has been comfortable and had recent success.

But I DO start Tabata instead of Marte...and I either replace Morneau, or drop him down behind Pedro in the batting order. I also go with Mercer on Wednesday. Tabata, Walker, Cutch, Byrd, Jones, Pedro, Martin, Mercer, Cole. If they insist on starting Morneau, I move Martin to 4 or 5, and put Morneau behind Pedro.

I don't understand why so many fans are willing to give Morneau a pass. He has done absolutely NOTHING as our cleanup hitter... In addition, Marte is great defensively and has speed, but Tabata outplayed him the last month. We NEED to win this game!

Why do you keep saying he has done nothing? That's just not accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:10 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Animal wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Why do you keep saying he has done nothing? That's just not accurate.

Oh, I am sorry, he has not done anything out of the cleanup spot except draw some walks! Better?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 am 

Animal wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

If I had any faith in Garrett Jones, I'd agree with you. But I don't. Here's the lineup I'd put out there on Wednesday:

Marte -- LF
Walker -- 2B
McCutchen -- CF
Alvarez -- 3B
Byrd -- RF
Morneau -- 1B
Martin -- C
Mercer -- SS
Cole -- P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am 

Rochester wrote:

Pedro Blows!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:17 am 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Animal wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

If I had any faith in Garrett Jones, I'd agree with you. But I don't. Here's the lineup I'd put out there on Wednesday:

Marte -- LF
Walker -- 2B
McCutchen -- CF
Alvarez -- 3B
Byrd -- RF
Morneau -- 1B
Martin -- C
Mercer -- SS
Cole -- P

Be honest! Why is there any reason to have any MORE faith in Morneau? At the very worst, at least GJ gives you a chance at some power and driving in some runs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:31 pm 

Animal wrote:
Be honest! Why is there any reason to have any MORE faith in Morneau? At the very worst, at least GJ gives you a chance at some power and driving in some runs.

Jones looked feeble striking out in his last at-bat. Morneau has a hit in all but one playoff game and he's only struck out twice in 20 post-season at-bats. I'll take the contact hitter over the guy who flails at junk in the dirt on Wednesday, especially against Wainwright's hook.

But I would swap him with Pedro to make sure the Bull gets more plate appearances.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:14 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Animal wrote:

Jones looked feeble striking out in his last at-bat. Morneau has a hit in all but one playoff game and he's only struck out twice in 20 post-season at-bats. I'll take the contact hitter over the guy who flails at junk in the dirt on Wednesday, especially against Wainwright's hook.

But I would swap him with Pedro to make sure the Bull gets more plate appearances.

Yeah, Jones had one bad at bat, and only a handful all month. I said it before and I'll say it again, but we will never know. Jones could easily have done what Morneau has done, and is just as likely to have done better. Hell, he had more PRODUCTION in half as many at bats. In last month of season, Morneau, batting mostly cleanup, hit .260 with .681 OPS. 4 doubles, no HR..just 3 BRI..just 6 Runs. Oh yeah, he walked a lot. He saw a lot of pitches (but not really). He did virtually nothing with the bat.

And he has done even LESS in the playoffs. .250/.586. 1 XBH. 3 Runs.

Morneau in the lineup, especially in the cleanup spot, hurt this team all month and especially in the playoffs. I'd rather see Sanchez against righties. They have to do what they did with AJ...get him out of there on Wednesday. Put someone in there that actually can hit the ball and drive in some runs.