Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McClatchy First Pitch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:05 am 

KM is supposed to throw out the first pitch today. I think it's a bad move on the part of the pirates, as I suspect it will lead to a bit of booing. That would certainly ruin what has been a mostly positive atmosphere. I guess Jagr and bonds weren't available.

Ordinarily I would boo the man but will refrain. Can't see myself cheering him though. Polite silence?

Was hoping to see another player from the 92 team or maybe Lanny do it. Van Slyke gets game 4 at least.

I guess at least this answers the question of whether McClatchey pitches or catches.

Post subject: Re: McClatchy First Pitch
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 am 

Well, I guess it's better than Littlefield. Not much better, but better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:34 am 

Well KM certainly contributed to the losing, but he also was mostly responsible for PNC park and keeping the Bucs in Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:40 am 

I think it is their way of paying respects to the efforts McClatchy led to build the greatest park in the country and keep baseball in Pittsburgh. His ownership was a cluster after that, but we may not be rooting for the "Pittsburgh" Pirates had it not been for him...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 am 

Absolutely agree that he deserves his share of the credit.

I guess my point is that 40,000 slightly inebriated bandwagon fans might not agree, and what I expect will be a negative response could spoil all the good juju. I'd have thought the team would want to avoid that and go with a more popular persona.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:23 am 

Animal wrote:
Well KM certainly contributed to the losing, but he also was mostly responsible for PNC park and keeping the Bucs in Pittsburgh.

I agree. The time to focus on the negative is long gone. Relish the good that he did...which was plenty as Animal notes above.

I'm just curious that we haven't seen Zoltan Mesko throw out a first pitch yet??? It just makes SO MUCH SENSE!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:11 pm 

He deserves it. We wouldn't have PNC Park without him and I suspect most fans will realize that and appreciate it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:22 pm 

Corsair wrote:
He deserves it. We wouldn't have PNC Park without him and I suspect most fans will realize that and appreciate it as well.

I sadly don't see it that way. They're throwing the owner who was part of the losing and just came out recently being gay. I don't think the place will be totally booing, but it will not be a positive vibe to start the game.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 pm 

BBF wrote:
Van Slyke gets game 4 at least.

He's no longer with the Tigers. Whats he doing these days?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:30 pm 

Corsair wrote:

They definitely did. Was a good scene. Look, he was underfunded and he made some awful hires but his heart was in the right place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:19 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Animal wrote:

I agree. The time to focus on the negative is long gone. Relish the good that he did...which was plenty as Animal notes above.

I'm just curious that we haven't seen Zoltan Mesko throw out a first pitch yet??? It just makes SO MUCH SENSE!

HE would get booed. I think Zoltan Mesko needs to worry about his punting so he is no longer the WORST punter in the NFL!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:20 pm 

The crowd was kind to KM. Good cheers for him. I did not hear any boos!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 am 

Do the rest of you guys recall the end of the 1994 season, and the darn near forgone conclusion that the Pirates were going to leave Pittsburgh?

They stayed because McClatchy bought the team and agreed to keep it in Pittsburgh. Immediately after taking ownership, he started the work to get a new stadium ...

That led to PNC.

He deserves a lot more credit than he gets, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 am 

RoxyChar wrote:
Corsair wrote:

They definitely did. Was a good scene. Look, he was underfunded and he made some awful hires but his heart was in the right place.

Right. His group took on quite a bit of debt to own the team, and it took a long time for the organization to get their financial house in order.

He tried to field a winner, he just really didn't know how to go about it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 am 

I agree, Bucfan. KM bought the team, did the work to build PNC and was able to keep the team in Pittsburgh when many thought he'd try and move the team to the west coast. I remember when many were skeptical of his motives but his motives were honorable. Unfortunately, he did t know much about baseball or hiring the right people to run the team. But I'm glad he received a warm welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:25 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Do the rest of you guys recall the end of the 1994 season, and the darn near forgone conclusion that the Pirates were going to leave Pittsburgh?

They stayed because McClatchy bought the team and agreed to keep it in Pittsburgh. Immediately after taking ownership, he started the work to get a new stadium ...

That led to PNC.

I agree 100% Bucfan. While he deserves no credit for this team's success, he deserves ALL the credit for us HAVING a team and the most awesome park in the world! I cheered loudly for him yesterday!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:51 am 

He kept baseball in Pittsburgh, he got PNC built, he brought Willie Stargell back home. Of course I cheered for him....and since everyone in the Rotunda was following my lead, they all cheered too! (Although one knowledgeable fan thought it was Willie Stargell throwing out the first pitch)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 pm 

bradf wrote:
(Although one knowledgeable fan thought it was Willie Stargell throwing out the first pitch)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:29 am 

Bucfan wrote:

That led to PNC.

This. I think that the younger folks here forget how close the Pirates were to leaving Pittsburgh. I live in Philly and I remember when the Phillies made their last trip into Pittsburgh that summer, the Philly Daily News columnist Bill Conlon (whom I thought was a self-important jag-off and later found to be a child molester, but I digress) wrote a column as an obituary to baseball in Pittsburgh. He actually was sympathetic and felt that MLB should figure out a way to keep one of baseball's storied franchises in Pittsburgh but felt that it was a lost cause. I remember spending a lot of time in the Philly public library in the off-season reading Pittsburgh papers (pre-internet!) following the drama of weather the team would move. McClatchy was the one who put the group together to keep the team there and despite his f-ups when owning the team, he is the reason that they did not end up in NC or DC or God-knows where else. I was there and cheered him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 am 

...and let's not forget John Rigas....who many wanted as the new owner.

He'd have even more trouble running the team from his jail cell than KM had!