Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game 4 starter - Rain Sunday Please
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 am 

Burnett needs the ball in game 4. He only threw 74 pitches and he pitches much better at home. Cole comes back and pitches game 5. Morton backs him up. I understand its only 3 days rest but I really dont trust ground chuck with the Cardinals. Ideally Sunday afternoon rains out and then its an extra days rest for Frankie and normal rest for AJ and then Normal for Cole.

Post subject: Re: Game 4 starter - Rain Sunday Please
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
Burnett needs the ball in game 4. He only threw 74 pitches and he pitches much better at home. Cole comes back and pitches game 5. Morton backs him up. I understand its only 3 days rest but I really dont trust ground chuck with the Cardinals. Ideally Sunday afternoon rains out and then its an extra days rest for Frankie and normal rest for AJ and then Normal for Cole.

Dude, the Pirates have Francisco Liriano set to start tomorrow.

You know, the guy who was 3-0 against the Cardinals, 12-1 at home this season?

So, yeah, I think I go with that guy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:05 pm 

Maybe he meant Monday?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:31 pm 

I don't understand it either. Maybe he was still "celebrating" when he posted that!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:46 pm 

I get it. He's not saying skip Liriano. He's saying he'd like a rainout so they could skip Morton and use AJ at home for Game 4.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:59 pm 

Rain in the forecast for Monday, not Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:18 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

Dude, the Pirates have Francisco Liriano set to start tomorrow.

You know, the guy who was 3-0 against the Cardinals, 12-1 at home this season?

So, yeah, I think I go with that guy.

ERRRRRR! Yeah.....Liriano in game 3...Except I said game 4.....Ehhhhh....Did I miss one or are you having trouble counting to three Bucfan?
I thought I was clear but if not. Skip Morton and go directly to AJ.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:30 pm 

See....Here is the problem. Scenario 1 - Liriano wins and puts us up 2-1 in the series. Morton pitches game 4 and loses to the Cards who make it 2-2 and send the series back to Saint Louis. With the travel days rest you have two guys available. A.J and Cole. Who would you rather have on the mound? The guy who cant seem to do anything well in Saint Louis or the guy who just beat them? Do you think for a moment hurdle will skip AJ? I dont?
Scenario 2 - Liriano gets beat today. Ground chuck for our playoff lives? No way. It would have to be AJ who is solid at home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:38 pm 

The Rotten One wrote:
See....Here is the problem. Scenario 1 - Liriano wins and puts us up 2-1 in the series. Morton pitches game 4 and loses to the Cards who make it 2-2 and send the series back to Saint Louis. With the travel days rest you have two guys available. A.J and Cole. Who would you rather have on the mound? The guy who cant seem to do anything well in Saint Louis or the guy who just beat them? Do you think for a moment hurdle will skip AJ? I dont?
Scenario 2 - Liriano gets beat today. Ground chuck for our playoff lives? No way. It would have to be AJ who is solid at home.

It seems like everyone has just been waiting for Morton to blow up and he hasn't this year. He has pitched well and I have no problem having him pitch game 4.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Win or lose, I love Morton tomorrow.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:54 pm 

I'm not sure you are understanding my point. AJ has a 1.3 ERA against the Cardinals when Pitching In PNC since 2012. In that same time his ERA against the Cards in Saint Louis is 14.4. This has nothing to do with Morton and everything to do with AJ's next start being at home.

No way Hurdle skips one of his aces! meaning if there is a game 5 in Saint Louis, its likely gonna be AJ and his 14.4 ERA.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 pm 

Quote:

It seems like everyone has just been waiting for Morton to blow up and he hasn't this year. He has pitched well and I have no problem having him pitch game 4.

He did not pitch at all well in his last start. It was the Saturday game in Cincinnati during the last series. He danced between the raindrops the whole game. He did not get out of the 5th inning. He went 4-1/3 innings and walked 5 guys. Even though the pirates scored several runs for him, Mazzaro was the winner that game because Morton didn't qualify. That was against a slumping Reds Team. If he pitches like that he will be beat all over the ball park by the Cardinals.

In fact the last time he faced the Cardinals (at PNC) he gave up 5 runs in 1.2 innings.

7 game series Morton pitches. In a 5 game series Morton should not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 am 

nad69dan wrote:

morton has faced the cards 3 times this year:

1. home, 6 ip, 10 hits, 5 er, bucs lost 0-13
2. away, 6 ip, 7 hits, 2 er, bucs lost 3-4
3. away, 1.2 ip, 6 hits, 5 er, bucs lost 2-9

total: 13.2 ip, 23 hits, 12 er, 8.18 era, bucs outscored 5-26.

i can see why some might be a little concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 am 

Looking like the skies are going top open up. Let's play ball.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:10 am 

The Rotten One wrote:
No way Hurdle skips one of his aces! meaning if there is a game 5 in Saint Louis, its likely gonna be AJ and his 14.4 ERA.

Which annoys me, because it will be completely the wrong time to be giving a guy a chance to break his StL funk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 am 

Not sure I like the thoughts of a muddy PNC infield, for a guy that is a pitch to contact pitcher, pitching to a contact hitting team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:59 am 

The fact that Hurdle steadfastly refused to commit to Burnett as Game 5 starter tells me that there is very serious consideration being given to pitching Cole.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 am 

nad69dan wrote:
The Rotten One wrote:

I agree. Morton has been just as good as the other guys. I have total confidence in him, plus he EARNED the right to start this game. I know the bottom line is winning, but to me, giving guys what they have earned and deserve means a lot. Let's call today Morton Monday-Ground Chuck Clincher"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 am 

Morton is 7-4 with a 3.26 ERA this season. Against St. Louis, he is 0-2 with a 7.90 ERA. St. Louis has a team batting average of .397 against Morton in 2013. In Morton's three starts against St. Louis, the Pirates are 0-3 and have been outscored 26-5.

The ugly full picture is this: Morton has lost his past five starts against St. Louis. In 14 starts in his career, he is 2-9 against them with a 6.52 ERA. The Cardinals have batted .333 against Morton with a .865 OPS.

Starting at the top of the likely St. Louis lineup, it goes like this: Matt Carpenter 3-for-8, Carlos Beltran 6-for-15, Matt Holliday 8-for-25; Yadier Molina 8-for-19, John Jay
8-for-16, David Freese 5-for-17.

In his career, left-handed hitters are batting .328 with a .907 OPS against Morton in 109 games. The Cardinals likely will start five left-handed hitters: Carpenter, Beltran, Adams, Jay and Daniel Descalso,

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2h2uf18iV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:26 am 

No. 9 wrote:
The fact that Hurdle steadfastly refused to commit to Burnett as Game 5 starter tells me that there is very serious consideration being given to pitching Cole.

Right! AJ only threw 72 pitches. And he is a beast at home. 3 days rest? He's talking retiring and can rest his whole life. He should be on the mound today!